So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 505

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Pain? My problem is the opposite. I've just returned from having the first part of my root canal treatment at the dentist's. I don't normally have anaesthetic for dental work but did on this occasion. Oh dear, hours of numbness still to go. Normally I just walk out of the surgery and get straight back to my life but this is appalling.

On a very different tack, on the morning show on BBC TV today Cressida Cowell, the children's author, remarked that nowadays children read very quickly. She said that it takes her a year to write one of her books and then some children have finished reading it by the time that they reach the front of the book signing queue. Just bear that in mind, that even if you ever are successful as an author all your efforts are just feeding an insatiable appetite.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

So, that tooth that I had the first stage of root canal work done on yesterday, well this evening the original crown on it broke off, maybe shaken loose by all the drilling done through it. So it's Saturday evening and I have a tooth without its crown and a temporary filling in the root canal. I guess it's back to eating just on the other side of my mouth during our usual Sunday roast dinner then. Great! At least it doesn't ache ... yet.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Just bear that in mind, that even if you ever are successful as an author all your efforts are just feeding an insatiable appetite.
    Great! A limitless market.

Sounds like the nerve is already dead in those teeth (or root canal holes). I have a couple like that, on the one hand you don't get pain, on the other you don't get the warning that pain gives you, so things can get worse without you noticing. I would say "Get back to that dentist soon.", pity it's the weekend.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Ordered a dozen pairs of socks online this morning.
    Had to close the window in my workroom because it's turning colder.
    We're having turkey for our Sunday roast.

Agh no! I've started Twittering. I think my nerve's died.

Problems:
    "...so, instead of the 1 1/2" of concrete, they poured it 9."
    "The builders agreed to this?"
    "The owner asked for it, and they agreed. It's a fifty foot wide opening, and now it's so bowed the door won't open or close."
    "So, what do you do, how do they fix it?"
    "Remove it, jackhammer. And it's all gotta be moved three times by hand: out, down, out again, and then hand loaded into trucks."
    "And with the weight removed, will the steel go back into place?"
    "It depends: if it deflected right away, during the pour, then probably. If it happened later, then no."
    "...and then they'd have to replace the I -beam. What if they just brace it from underneath. put in a column? "
    "You can't. It's on the third floor. The column would be sitting on nothing. You'd have to support it - go all the way down into the foundations. The house is not engineered for anything like that. And, if there's an earthquake the weight will take the whole house down with it."

-yesterday from a conversation I was 'at'. Glad that's not my jobsite. That owner didn't want the lightweight pedestal floor system on top of the 1 1/2" of concrete as was designed, so he asked the contractors to use concrete, to just 'fill it up' instead. With the additional weight the structure sagged. The 50' wide door system wouldn't open; wouldn't close. Oh...dear...

Turkey should be nice and manageable with your mouth, we are having a nut roast with lots of trimmings like stuffing balls and Yorkshire puds as well as about six veg. ; the younger daughter is coming, we don't usually do it. Typically she missed the train, and they are only one an hour on Sunday, so I can hear her turning up now, dinner is going to be late today.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Just using my free time to bring order to chaos.
    That means trying to clean the damn house. First World Problems = Too much stuff.
    Tomorrow I begin to clear out the garden, and tarp the beds prior to winter. Still plenty of carrots and potatoes out there. Did, dig, dig.

"Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!"

Blog Entries
    Winston,
    if you could see the room where I have my computer. It looks as though some-one has totally filled it with junk and then some how forged a pathway to the table and chair where I'm sitting now. I could use a decent size room to spread all of it out. I'd like that. A room full of memories. Detritus that represents my having existed.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

The dentist fitted the crown back on my tooth today, so I've just got the planned visit to him later in the week to complete the root canal work on it now.

My WIP is autobiographical, so to maintain accuracy I am quoting copiously from my email archive in it. That gives it an authenticity that might be absent if I just wrote about the events from memory. Fortunately I have just one writing standard, so those emails are no better nor any worse than my literary style. As a result I can clock up thousands of words very quickly by pasting them without having to worry about the quality of the writing because to alter any of the text would invalidate it as a contemporary record. Of course I do have to read all of my past emails and every one of them is long with complicated concepts in it, but I find it fascinating as I don't even remember many of the lines of thought that I pursued back in 2012, the period that I am currently reading. For example, I have just read my views then on the book Breaking The Spell by Daniel C. Dennett and Nietzsche's Eternal Recurrence concept. I had wondered when I'd found out about that but now I can date it, which is good.

The interesting thing is just why I read Dennett's book and the email explained that. I was going through the science and technology e-books available from our online county library with the authors in alphabetical order and I didn't fancy reading any of the many books by the scientist Brian Cox offered, so the next author whose work attracted my attention was Dennett. Just like many other things in my life it was just a coincidence that I picked a book that mentioned eternal recurrence, a motif that already appeared in my science fiction trilogy.

This email archive is proving invaluable in a story where precise dating of events is crucial, so currently although I am ostensibly writing I am actually spending most of my time reading my past words, which is one weird form of research.

By the way, I found one amusing remark in that email worth repeating here.

I don't read philosophical texts normally. It seems to me like trying on someone else's underwear; it might fit but why would one want to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Problems:
    -yesterday from a conversation I was 'at'. Glad that's not my jobsite. That owner didn't want the lightweight pedestal floor system on top of the 1 1/2" of concrete as was designed, so he asked the contractors to use concrete, to just 'fill it up' instead. With the additional weight the structure sagged. The 50' wide door system wouldn't open; wouldn't close. Oh...dear...
    ^
    ^example:
    ^less is more
    ^for concrete thinkers
    ^using hierarchical frameworks
    ^in an unstable operating environment
    ^
    ^that should be on a programmer's reference.
    ^open.n.shut
    ^jussayin'

*ooops*
    *don't misunderstand*
    *the omission of dialogue*
    *it is excellent*
    *i was going for the 'fill it up' statement*