So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 478

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Still snowing here in NH, but mostly only dustings the last couple weeks. Different story up in Maine where my daughter lives. For those of you that like snow, here's a pic of grandson at home (Maine) ten days ago. And for esc, there's also a pic of a painting my daughter did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8686 copy.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	21385

Name:	IMG_8684 copy.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	21386

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Sorry for the mostly duplicated post. The first one didn't show up as posting, so I did it again with an addition. And a bit later they both show up, go figure. Don't know whether it's me or the site that has a lose screw.

Still snowing in NH, but only dustings the last couple weeks. A different story up in Maine where my daughter lives. Here's a pic of my grandson at home (in Maine) from ten days ago. Also a pic of a painting my daughter did that I thought esc might like, and a pic of a quilted wall hanging my wife made for over my bed.

Name:	IMG_8686 copy.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	21387

Name:	IMG_8684 copy.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	21388

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	21389
    Last edited by LeeC; April 11th, 2018 at 07:42 PM.

Site:
    Hidden Content

Picking apart a pomegranate. Nice. She's good.

We got squirrels for that. They're like stupid teenagers stealing your weed plants before they bud- the squirrels eat the pomegranates when they're no bigger than a golf ball.

The birds, on the other hand, wait for them to be about just right. Then they hollow them out like turnips on Samhain. You look up in the tree and you say oh there's a nice one, and the fookers hollow.

Pomegranates don't grow here, but there're plenty of squirrels. You'd think all the hazelnut bushes I've planted would keep them happy, but they still raid the bird feeders. Reminds me, the black bears are likely out and about now, so I better take the bird feeders down before they destroy them, clumsy oafs.

PS: It's been a long road, but I'm walking a mile now daily. Gotta keep at it so I can get to the point of chasing cars

Site:
    Hidden Content

that's awesome man.....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Customer has a problem. I jump. I investigate, I find out what needs to be fixed. I fix it if I can. I figure out who needs to do the fixing if I can't. Then I go back to programming and coding new features and functionality.

Other people, "Yawn. It's Friday afternoon..."

You're still at work. DO YOUR DAMN JOB! That's what separates people who get promotes from people who get fired. Incompetence is frustrating, but laziness? No excuses.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

The last two days I have been attacking the apple tree. It is a big, old tree, possibly a 'grenadier', it is the sort of apple that is supposed to be a cooker when still a bit green and an eater when fully ripe, and it fruits really heavily about every three years, when the apples are all tiny, then me and the missus get an apple each for a year, then reasonably with decent sizeapples for a year. If it was apples I was after I would get rid of it and plant something on a modern root stock. but it is 'ornamental' and it is shade in the summer, so I have been pruning off the suckers and the boughs that were beginning to intrude into next door. Quite a lot of physical work for me, up and down the ladder, sawing stuff up for the fire. Good to shake out a bit of that winter sloth, but I can feel it.

My car was due a service, but the garage said 'Don't bother'. There is too much work needs doing, it is no longer economically viable. Going to look at another on Monday from the guy I got this one from, about 60 thousand miles on it, same as this had when I got it. I am now on a hundred and thirty one thousand, think I got my use out of that
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I wanted to post a photo from my cell but the site won't let me.

Still laying stones but getting nearly there. The easy part is the flat field. Then I've got to set some borders. There are various adjacent conditions, some way up, some up and sloped, and a transitional walkway( I have to create a safe walking transition) .

Retaining walls, sloped ramp- what to do, what to do? I have free creative reign ( rein? free -rein...) but with existing conditions that cannot be changed: a sloped walkway that is parallel to a new level platform, two planes that intersect at a point, but only at a point, and I have to transition one to the other ( in a safe walkable manner) I may use a ramp and I may use a step. This is flat stone, so no free form concrete 'sculpture'.
    I'm sure I'll get it ( there are only so many possibilities given the parameters) but I'm using rectangles ( the stones) that are heavy. At the flat they are lying on a bed of compacted decomposed granite ( as I said, easy).

At the retaining walls I think need concrete to hold them vertical and possibly on any new sloped ramps, too.

I'm looking at submerging stones at an angle to form an exposed edge of the raised ramp/walkway, capping it with new stone as a widening continuation of said ramp. This will form a triangular 'riser' , the cap, a sloped tread but then a step down to a level tread ( more of a landing I guess) which is a bit awkward to think of, but will work...hmmm, maybe.

Okay ... So I did drink one beer just now ( it's Friday night) and I had to write something since my worth-a-thousand-words photo failed to post and left a blank post.
    Last edited by Kevin; April 14th, 2018 at 03:33 AM.

is that a prison cell kevin
    The only one who can heal you is you.

@ Olly
    Among the fruit trees in my natural garden there are several crab apple trees. I leave them to themselves as the fruit is for the wildlife (they still steal my peaches, cherries, oriental pears, and blueberries, the gluttons). My 05 Toyota Tundra didn't pass safety inspection this year. Frame and body are in good shape, and it only had 30 some thousand miles on it, but they said the tie rods and something related were loosening up and needed replacing. They wanted $3,000 to repair it which I thought was a rip-off. An acquaintance wanted it for snow plowing and whatnot on their property, offering me a good price, so I sold it. Now I have a few extra coins to pay towards professional editing of my book. Still have a lot of illustrations to do so there's no hurry, and I keep thinking of more to write about in it. Does it ever end Take care old man

@ Kevin
    Don't know exactly what you're doing, and if you're pinning the stones or not, but stone wall building is a bit of an art here in New England with some history. Started with the settlers trying to find soil amongst the rocks to plant their crops in Damn hard work, I know. Hey, there's nothing wrong with a few cool ones. I've been known to have one with my lunch, and several when I knocked off for the day. A good cold beer after working in the hot sun is better than sex (and don't ask what beer I drink). You take care also, in-between man

--------

A large white pine at the edge of my natural garden fell into the garden this winter. I told my wife that I'd have to take the chain saw to it once the snow is gone, and she panicked.
    Last edited by LeeC; April 14th, 2018 at 01:50 PM.

Site:
    Hidden Content