So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 473

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

18,011 words in my fantasy.

Two, three different openings, poorly organized with huge gaps everywhere.

Oh well. Guess that’s the point of first drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Watson View Post
    Got told off in the office this morning for working on my novel at my desk between tasks! Sickener is that the guy who I'm pretty sure told my boss used to be a run a small press. Poor form!
    I wasnít going to respond to this until PiP did.
    So were you being paid by someone during this time devoted to your own interests? If it wasnít on your own time (designated lunch break, for instance) you were stealing money. That saying, time is money, is true. Iíve written paychecks and see it exactly that way. Must be a generational gap.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    I wasn’t going to respond to this until PiP did.
    So were you being paid by someone during this time devoted to your own interests? If it wasn’t on your own time (designated lunch break, for instance) you were stealing money. That saying, time is money, is true. I’ve written paychecks and see it exactly that way. Must be a generational gap.
    I agree with sas. If you use company time for your own ends, you're stealing money. They're not paying you to be there to write your story -- they're paying you to work. You can write before work, on lunch break, or after work, but not during company time. :3

I wasn’t going to respond to this until PiP did.
    So were you being paid by someone during this time devoted to your own interests? If it wasn’t on your own time (designated lunch break, for instance) you were stealing money. That saying, time is money, is true. I’ve written paychecks and see it exactly that way. Must be a generational gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post
    I agree with sas. If you use company time for your own ends, you're stealing money. They're not paying you to be there to write your story -- they're paying you to work. You can write before work, on lunch break, or after work, but not during company time. :3
    Jeez, this is the one place I thought folks would have my back! Didn't realise WF was such a bastion of the work ethic. Thought we were all layabout writers in here. Whatever happened to sticking it to the man?!

And stealing money? Really? Just to be clear, I'm lucky enough to have a job with a pretty light workload. If I don't have any pending tasks, I still get paid. If I finish my workload (and I have a reputation for being fast and efficient in my role I'll have you know!), should I just sit staring blankly into space until more work comes in?
    Last edited by Dave Watson; March 28th, 2018 at 04:18 PM.
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    When inspiration takes hold you just gotta write! The squealer is just jealous. Poor form indeed
    Jeez, this is the one place I thought folks would have my back! Didn't realise WF was such a bastion of the work ethic. Thought we were all layabout writers in here.
    It's okay, Dave. Noone has ever made a private phone call, checked private emails etc when they were at work. similarly, no one has ever worked extra time WITHOUT pay, or gone that extra mile for the business. Work to rule is cool.

A person who squeals is a squealer out for his own ends... I managed a large department and my philosophy was: 'give' and 'take' . If it had been me, I would have had a quiet word and left it at that (if the department was busy). Squeal never. It was well known our production manager use to take his newspaper to the loo while he fulfilled his daily ablutions. ... but the orders were always manufactured on time and he worked long hours (unpaid)
    Last edited by PiP; March 28th, 2018 at 11:38 PM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check our my personal blog Hidden Content

Guess the difference is whose money was being used to put in that paycheck. Owners think differently. There is always something someone can do. If there was that much free time I’d eliminate the position. I have a feeling the squealer felt used and piled on, and could use extra help. I’ve heard those complaints, often. The other side.

I have been on both sides of this issue, I managed my Brother's company for 3 years, and the job was time sensitive, deadlines ruled... however, when the guys were waiting on parts, or was on a break, they were free to use that time as they saw fit.... and they never took advantage. when parts came in, it was balls to the wall, and if they had to stay late, they were happy to do so...

I saw the news the other day where this one company let their employee's take a nap, and provided a quiet zone to do so, and productivity went UP...

Another company let the employees structure their work day, as long as the job got done.... productivity went up.

A company allowed their employees to bring their pet to work, another company allowed employees to bring their children to work, productivity went up.

Happy employees are less stressed, able to focus... sure there are always going to be those who take advantage, but why allow those to ruin it for the highly motivated....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

I have a feeling the squealer felt used and piled on, and could use extra help. I’ve heard those complaints, often. The other side.
    So have I... and it was called ass-licking up to the boss. Before I took any action I checked work ethics of both parties. And the AL's were usually the same people who were making private phonecalls instead of sales calls... while their filing tray was piled high. I know because we had call monitoring.

As long as the work got done and targets met, does it matter?
    Last edited by PiP; March 28th, 2018 at 05:57 PM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check our my personal blog Hidden Content

My last boss was an entrepreneur, a black man who raised himself out of poverty to start his own electric supply. He was fair-minded, but tough - he even had to fire his son-in-law for non-performance (talk about awkward). Management in general through my career with two other companies liked to have their little cliques full of yes-men and brown-nosers. I had a bba in management and frankly the ones I saw in charge didn't seem to know standard business practices. Not surprisingly, both companies failed.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

And stealing money? Really? Just to be clear, I'm lucky enough to have a job with a pretty light workload. If I don't have any pending tasks, I still get paid. If I finish my workload (and I have a reputation for being fast and efficient in my role I'll have you know!), should I just sit staring blankly into space until more work comes in?

Dave as someone who owns multiple companies and hires a lot of people who are everything from salary, to production pay, to being a partner with.

I have only one saying when it comes to business, I say it often, I am surprised how often I have to say it.

We are in business to make money, everyone's job here is to make me money so I can pay them. I have a reputation as being a tough boss but also as someone who pays the highest wages around. I also expect the most out of the people I work "with"

If you worked for me and had free time and energy, I would expect it directed in any area that made us more money. Anytime some sees parameters to their job and a start and finish....it is the beginning of the end for a small business.

I personally would be mad if I found you working on something other than "our" business during the day.