So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 420

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewclunn View Post
    Warning, rant to follow:

Perhaps I'm a sociopath, perhaps I'm jaded, maybe I'm just more honest with myself about how many people die tragically each day and strangers are just that to me. When I hear outrage or a shaky voice from some talking head on tv, I assume an act. Do people really care more about the dead when it's shown on tv? Are the dead at a concert more deserving of mourning than any of the other countless murders? Maybe people believe that their outrage could result in... something? Of course it's always selectively applied. If I met an adult in real life talking about how shaken they were about natural disaster x, suicide bombing y, or mass shooting z, I'd ask them who they knew who was affected. If it was nobody, then I'd tell them to their face to grow the fuck up. Give to charities, volunteer, but spare me whatever cry for condolence (for suffering you haven't endured) that is. And that's assuming it's not self-serving virtue signalling.
    There's a meme .... it's an empty "business end" of a truck and says something about the first shipment of "thoughts and prayers" has arrived. I'm in the Harvey area. That's .... yes.

Also, I've mentioned this before. I don't ask for thoughts/prayers and I don't pray for people. My belief is that prayer is about informing your problems of deity, not the other way 'round as omni-foo1 beings don't need reminding of ... anything.

In other news, I'm going to North Dakota in December to visit my remote students. My army daughter and grandbaby are leaving next Tuesday to go back to their home in Colorado. And my other daughter announced her plans to move in with friends at the end of the year.

1 - foo is a placeholder (kinda like x in algebra.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Perhaps there's a way to retain empathy for strangers without feeling the depression of impotence. Maybe a society can rally it's people through emotionally imagery and rhetoric without devaluing objectivity and misguiding them to flights of passion. I have my doubts though, and have chosen this potentially isolating shield at a price I know all too well...

And it comes as no surprise that you see this as a fundamental part of being human. Those of us who have chosen to limit the scope of our empathy don't all do it for selfish reasons. You know I think I'll attempt to communicate this perspective via poetry. I will edit this post with a link when it's done.

Edit - this was in response to pip from the previous page.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

Andrew, it's maintaining an emotional balance by not allowing events that are out of our control to consume us. Yes, we can step, or at least try , into a victims shoes for just a second... but for the grace of God (choose a god of your choice, or not) go I. Empathy makes us human. However, I recognise that being bombarded with famine, death, destruction and terrorist acts etc. have the potential to impact on our daily lives when they are streamed lived into our homes. It is for this reason I live on the edge of nowhere and ra rely watch the news.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Just got a standing perscription for IV nitro. Up until a couple of weeks ago my angina was a regular occurrence, not absolutely chronic as it has been...It was recurrent, but there were moments of respite, now I don't even have that. Ugh. I want to be done with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    Just got a standing perscription for IV nitro. Up until a couple of weeks ago my angina was a regular occurrence, not absolutely chronic as it has been...It was recurrent, but there were moments of respite, now I don't even have that. Ugh. I want to be done with this shit.
    I just looked it up...

I’m sorry about that. :[ Hope you do get done with that shit soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Andrew, it's maintaining an emotional balance by not allowing events that are out of our control to consume us. Yes, we can step, or at least try , into a victims shoes for just a second... but for the grace of God (choose a god of your choice, or not) go I. Empathy makes us human. However, I recognise that being bombarded with famine, death, destruction and terrorist acts etc. have the potential to impact on our daily lives when they are streamed lived into our homes. It is for this reason I live on the edge of nowhere and ra rely watch the news.
    This is REALLY rough, but:

I see people giving their stories to late night propaganda pimps,
    so they can whore out their personal tragedies.
    Well I stopped feeling, "sorry for your loss,"
    the moment you claimed it gave you power over me.
    We're told to control our hate and our fear.
    Maybe we should try controlling our empathy.

Six dead over the weekend, but not on the news.
    Nobody knows, so it's like nobody died.
    A "special segment" where a dog beats cancer,
    pass the tissues, we're all so inspired.

I didn't kill my humanity. I embraced the truth,
    and couldn't care less if you're judging me.
    I'm just honest enough to say I don't know strangers.
    I care about myself, my friends, and my family.
    It's the people I know, the people I can hug,
    who are the ones deserving of my comradery.

Crying to make your argument... more powerful?
    Grow up and grow a spine.
    That manipulative bullshit might fool some,
    but it don't play with me and mine.

So keep lapping up every tragic or outrageous event
    that's so important for like two days on TV.
    Every comedian, every news anchor saying the same thing
    The echo chamber's how they enforce homogeneity.
    I'll be paying attention to the place where I live,
    the things that affect me in my community.

When so much of your life is consuming the news
    your identity becomes your political tribe.
    I'd rather have fewer friendships and fewer connections
    based on real experiences we've shared in our lives.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

Andrew, the media needs to fill the airtime with something... whether it be PC agitators, the human rights of a terrorist or death and destruction... I wonder if there is any happy news? As I said we become anesthetized and to that end we no longer feel.
    and submit to Rattle.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

I've no words, Darkkin, no words.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    I've no words, Darkkin, no words.
    I have one. Ow...

I have one. Ow...

I agree with sas.... I wish I had something fabulous to say, but I don't... Hang in there... wow, that sounds stupid... anyway, I wish you strength to get through what you have to endure.. *HUGS*....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.