Page 400 of 400 FirstFirst ... 200300350390392393394395396397398399400
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 4000

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Advanced Mentor The Green Shield's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Yes, I'm double posting, but this one is about my day, or rather my yesterday. I was going through some old legal documents relating to the estate where we live, sorting them into date order. They had been lent to me by the secretary of the local history society and she wants them back soon to store in the new archive. These were really old documents, mostly dating back a century or more and written on parchment, so in very good condition. I noticed that the oldest were dated 1772 and 1774 and it occurred to me that they therefore coincided with probably the earliest movement of the USA to become a separate country. Apart from those documents I also happen to have original newspapers from 1864 and 1865, equally relevant dates in USA history. These items are just lying around in carrier bags in our spare bedroom. I'm in no way a regular historian and have no other such historical documents, so it is a remarkable coincidence that I just happen to have these.

It does show the vast difference between British and American timescales when such things can be found lying around in an insignificant suburban home here. It also demonstrates our human frailty when those parchments, which have already survived the entire lifetime of the USA, will most likely still be around when we are all gone, provided that I return them to be filed in the archive now of course. With that thought of the need to enjoy our brief existence, maybe this post and my previous one are connected.
    That's an incredible fine, Rob! I'm jealous!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    These were really old documents, mostly dating back a century or more and written on parchment, so in very good condition. I noticed that the oldest were dated 1772 and 1774 and it occurred to me that they therefore coincided with probably the earliest movement of the USA to become a separate country. Apart from those documents I also happen to have original newspapers from 1864 and 1865, equally relevant dates in USA history. These items are just lying around in carrier bags in our spare bedroom. I'm in no way a regular historian and have no other such historical documents, so it is a remarkable coincidence that I just happen to have these.
    That is impressive. What does one do with items such this these (the newspapers) Keep them? Frame them? Donate them? Sell them?

Also, I would love to see the architecture and treatments in your home. I know that's not possible. But thought I should express myself since this a writers forum.

Congratulations to you! Nice weekend!

Blog Entries
    Port Lisha Mystery Update:
    Right.

Gonna go tweak the beginning of Chapter One so Kevin walks into the McWeegie with a deaf friend. That way, I can introduce their disabilities in a nice, smooth fashion and demonstrate the pair talking in sign language.

Blog Entries
    Cleaning up after a week up in Alaska. It was enjoyable, refreshing and memorable. Now, reality rears it's ugly head.

The trip was a bit of a learning experience. I am contemplating writing a "survival guide" of sorts for first-time cruise ship passengers. There was a bunch of little things I wish someone had told us prior.
    "Can't or Won't?"

Walked in the sauna an a guy was reading the newspaper..well that was a first...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    Went to Big Bear for the weekend. Our friends are selling their cabin so they invited us to come up and get drunk with them. We grocery shopped, cooked (I cooked)ate, drank and were merry. It is a strange place, Big Bear, in a valley with a lake 6000' up above the rest of SoCal ( except for some of the mountain tops). There are ski resorts around, abandoned gold mines, and another more expensive lake area about a 3/4s of an hour to the west in the same mountains (lake arrowhead) but we don't go there.

Big Bear was a Wild West place about a hundred-something years-ago, with illegal everything. Under the town there were secret escape tunnels connecting some of the basements of certain a establishments that run down to the lake in case of raids by the law. Parts of them still exist below businesses. A local told me they used to play in them as kids back in the Fifties.

When we left coming down on our way home we could see we were above the smoke line ( which was all over)of some brush fire in some other much lower but nearby mountains.

The road up, by the way, was used in the racing scene portion of the original Disney movie "The Love Bug", and looks just the same. The conifers(pine trees) start at 5000', and below that is chaparral ( brush), and then the flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Freethesea View Post
    Just curious, but can't a forum such as this one serve the same purpose? And if not, as Sebald noted, maybe you could suggest a change in the way its set up and vote a president or coordinator. Its not set in stone I bet. You could start a facebook group to organize or list what materials will be discussed beforehand. Bring brownies.
    The issue has arisen previously and it's always the same ones who trigger it. No problem, I go elsewhere. There is a great group, once per month, 12 miles to the north and a pretty decent one 15 miles to the south (also monthly). There are others too. It does seem limited in my immediate area though. I think this is largely due to it just being one of those places - blot on the landscape/chavland. The people who go the the local group are decent people and I wish them well. But it's not the sort of group that I wish to be part of.
    ETA. This group is fine, but writing is a lonely pastime/hobby. I live on my own, work on my own and don't have a particularly active social life, so it was good to have some company with a shared interest. However, I would rather dispense with that if people want to debate rather than write.

Blog Entries
    After stopping myself from being a stupid boy and yet again starting over from scratch, I got back as many words as I could from previous drafts.
    UPDATED WORD COUNTS!!!!
    My fantasy = 16,718 Words

My fantasy about the magical ninjas = 426 Words
    General Mysteries = 583 Words
    Historical Mysteries #1 = 263 Words
    Historical Mysteries #2 = 5,016 Words
    Sci-fi = 153 Words

Blog Entries
    I don't know what happened, but I went from two job sites to a jungle guerilla camp, saw a man cut in two after he tried to out me as a turncoat, spy; pouring rain, mud; lead/commander (mercenaries? Pretty sure...)- they chose me over the other guy, to trust...Think I was a black guy- anyway, dreams are funny- not funny'ha-ha'. Time to go to work. Hope I'm not too tired. Ha ha.

Blog Entries
    My day has been quite a good one I have cleaned my flat from top to bottom, so I feel like I have had a productive day even if I haven't done any writing. And to top my day off a boiling hot bath. Ah now this is the life....