April 2015 - LM - Bad Decisions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2015 - LM - Bad Decisions

Click here for the workshop thread

LITERARY MANEUVERS
    Bad Decisions

The winner will receive a badge pinned to their profile and given a month’s access to FoWF where you’ll have access to hidden forums and use of the chat room.

Have the prompt included in some way into your story.

The judges for this round are:

Folcro; Pidgeon84; KellInkston; Kilroy214

Rules

• All forum rules apply. The LM competition is considered a creative area of the forum. If your story contains inappropriate language or content, do not forget add a disclaimer or it could result in disciplinary actions taken. Click here for the full list of rules and guidelines of the forum.
    • No Poetry! Nothing against you poets out there, but this isn’t a place for your poems. Head on over to the poetry challenges for good competition over there. Some of us fiction people wouldn’t be able to understand your work! Click here for the poetry challenges.
    • No posts that are not entries into the competition are allowed. If you have any questions, concerns, or wish to take part in discussion please head over to the LM Coffee Shop. We’ll be glad to take care of your needs over there.
    • Editing your entry after posting isn’t allowed. You’ll be given a ten minute grace period, but after that your story may not be scored.
    • Only one entry per member.
    • No liking entries until the scores go up.
    • The word limit is 650 words not including the title. If you go over - Your story will not be counted. Microsoft Word and Google Drive are the standard for checking this. If you feel it’s incorrect, send it to the host of the competition and we’ll check it for you and add our approval upon acceptance.

There are a few ways to post your entry:

1. If you aren't too concerned about your first rights, then you can simply post your entry here in this thread.
    2. You can opt to have your entry posted in the LM Workshop Thread which is a special thread just for LM entries. You would put your story there if you wish to protect your first rights, in case you wish to have the story published one day. Note: If you do post it in the workshop thread, you must post a link to it here in this thread otherwise your story may not be counted.
    3. You may post your story anonymously. To do so, send your story to the host of the competition. If you wish to have us post it in the workshop thread then say so. Your name will be revealed upon the release of the score.

Everyone is welcome to participate. A judge's entry will receive a review by their fellow judges, but it will not receive a score.

This competition will close on:

Sunday, the 19th of April at 11:59 PM, GMT time.
    Click here for the current time.

Good luck, everyone.

If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

"I think it's blessed are the cheese makers." "...What's so special about the cheese makers?" - Life of Brian

Life

Rick was looking out at the view from the balcony of his New York penthouse apartment thinking about how his life had turned out. His parents had been strict to him never letting him wander down what they thought were the wrong decisions for him like joining a band or going to parties. He knew they had done it out of love wanting him to have a better life then they had growing up. Rick never wanted to let his parents down so he kept to their rules and aspired to meet their every expectation of him, so he went through all of the steps they had planned for him and now he was the CEO of a major corporation personally owning the entire high rise he lived in.

He was looking out at the evening sky drinking his glass of very expensive champagne wondering what he should do now. He was now 40 years old and had already done everything in his life that his parents had planned for him even buying his parents a brand new house upstate although calling it a house was a bit of an understatement it was more like a small mansion. He had a fiancé that was everything his mother had ever hoped for as a match for her son coming from one of the best families on the Upper East Side.

He knew as he stood there with his friends and family inside celebrating his birthday that he should be thrilled and happy about how his life had turned out. He wasn’t. Nothing in life filled him with any sort of passion like the one he could see so clearly in other people’s eyes and sometimes he wondered why his parents could not love him for who he was, but only for the man they wanted him to be. He had achieved all of the expectations set out for him since he was a small child and now here he was with nothing left.

He breathed in the air looking at stars that he knew was there, but were impossible to see, and then he climbed up on the balustrade thinking, “Maybe I should have made more bad decisions.”

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

A Run towards Madness (650 Words)

Kristella’s lungs were burning as she continued running. She needed to stop and rest before she collapsed from exhaustion. She frantically looked around for a place that could afford some shelter and refuge. Her knees buckled as she tripped over one of those accursed vines that sent her tumbling sideways into a bed of wilted roses. The sickly vine wrapped around her leg but Kristella was quick with the knife and sliced it clean through. Its blood colored sap sprayed her legs and torso with its bubbling ooze. As she lay panting for breath; the putrid smell of decaying roses, wafted through her nose, causing her stomach to growl its disgust. She was on the edge of madness as her sanity was slowly losing its grip. She closed her eyes to sleep, in order to keep the demons at bay— at least for little while …

She heard Caleb’s screams as he was being eaten alive. She saw the monstrous tree’s wooden jaws and petrified teeth bite down on Caleb’s upper torso. The sounds of crunching bones and ripping flesh filled her ears. She didn’t dare stop to help him but kept running and running while hearing his pitiful pleas and agonizing screams...

She woke—covered in puke, sweat, and tears. She was relieved that the forest didn’t swallow her up while she slept.

The din of the forest was deafening. The roars and grunts of beasts unknown, the croaks and wails of bugs and slugs, the slithering sounds of slimy things, and the mournful moans and groans of those killer trees-- filled the night air.

Kristella picked herself up and readied herself to continue on with her flight. She tried to steady her nerves by doing some breathing exercises Caleb taught her. The thought of him sent her back into despair and panic. She needed to get her wits about her. She needed to block out the horrors of this accursed Black Forest and the death of her Beloved. Survival was her only goal—Madness or Death—was hopefully not an option.

She looked around for the best path to take. This place was a living nightmare; everything was twisted, decayed and misshapen. As she chose the path of least resistance, she heard a shuffling sound behind her. She felt its malevolence. She dared not look. She had no desire to see what was behind her as she ran for her life.

The thing behind her kept pace with her. She jigged and jagged and ran like the devil but no matter what she did, she still felt its stinking breath on her back. She needed to make a stand. She stopped running, stilled herself, took out her knife and turned around to face and fight the unseen monster.

She stared in amazement at the dead and foul thing. It was Caleb. It was a mutilated piece of broken bones and half eaten flesh. It was foul and oozed blood and pus. The damn thing smiled at her. It was a fucking zombie. She froze as the thing started to speak:

“Ahhrfahhhfred Fmmmnpedght.”

After finishing its incoherent ramblings, it leapt upon Kristella and tried to take a large piece of brain out of her head. Kristella was tempted to let him just eat her and get it over with. It would be cosmic justice being that it was her idea to enter the forest in the first place--one bad, bad decision. She could at least offer up her brains to the man she loved even though it was now some dead zombie thing. But her survival instincts kicked in and she stuck her knife in its brains instead. It fell to the ground. She started to run again but never found her way out of the forest…

It is said: if you listen closely-- you can hear the wailing cries of the “Mad Banshee” of the Black Forest…
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Post Home [650 Words]

Home [650 Words]

Joanna stared out the window, watching each shuttle lift off the ground. A woman’s voice boomed overhead.

Attention citizens. Gamma shuttle launch in sixty minutes. Please proceed to registration.

A man walked up behind her. “Joanna,” he said. She was surprised to hear her grandfather’s voice. “It’s time. We have to go.”

She traced a shape on the window with her finger. “Is there really nothing left?” she said softly.

He sat next to her and stared out the window. There was no grass, just black dirt and the occasional husk of a long-dead tree. The wind whipped up the black dust into sporadic whirlwinds that danced in the distance. “We’ve called this planet home for a long time,” he said. “We’ve taken everything the Earth could give us but when we depleted her core, we knew it was only a matter of time.”

“Joanna!” said her father, rounding a corner. “I’ve been looking all over for you. We─” He stopped short. “Dad… I didn’t think you were coming. I… I haven’t had a chance to…”

“I know,” he said. “It’s alright. I wanted to tell her myself.”

Joanna snapped around. “Tell me what?”

“Jo,” said the grandfather. “Do you remember the lake?”

She tried to hide a smile. “Of course, grandma kept telling you all the fish were gone but I still found you out there every morning.”

“And do you know why I was out there every morning? It’s because I believe in this planet. I believed that this ball of rock still had some tricks up her sleeve.”

“But we never caught any fish. Never even got a bite.”

“But I still believed and that belief gave me some of the best memories I have of you, and your father… and grandma.” He looked past her, out the window and into the distance.

“Yeah…” Joanna said. Her smile faded and she tried to hold back the tears. A lump formed in her throat. “You’re… You’re not coming with us, are you?”

Her grandfather smiled. “I’ve decided that my place is here, next to that lake, with your grandmother.”

Attention citizens. Gamma shuttle launch in thirty minutes. Please proceed to registration.

She wiped her eyes with her sleeve. “The planet, it’s dying. You’ll die.”

He placed his hand on her shoulder. “I believed that lake still had some life left in it and I believe that this planet, my home, might still surprise us all.”

Joanna scowled. “No! The planet is dead, the fish are dead and grandma−” She lowered her head. “Grandma…”

“She was so proud of the young woman you’ve grown to be. By the time you reach your new home, you’ll be my age and I hope you have a grandchild that is every bit as remarkable as you are.”

Joanna lunged at her grandfather. She squeezed him tight, her face wet with tears. “I love you, grandpa.”

“I love you too, Joanna.” Reaching into his pocket, he said, “I have something to give to you.”

“What is it?”

“Here.” He dropped into her hand a flat, gray stone. “I thought that when you get to your new home, you might just find a lake to skip this on. Perhaps you could add a little bit of Earth to an alien planet.”

Attention citizens. Gamma shuttle launch in fifteen minutes. Registration closing.

“I don’t want to leave you here.”

“Don’t you worry about me. Whenever you look up at the stars at night, picture me sitting by the lake, talking with your grandmother. I can’t think of any other place in the Universe I would rather be.”

Joanna and her father boarded the final shuttle before it lifted off. Her father placed his arm around her as they watched Earth shrink from view. She held the small stone in her hand and was happy that her grandfather was the only person who was already home.

"We all die. The goal is not to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~Chuck Palahniuk

"When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump, otherwise you end up staying in the same place your whole life, and that I can't do." -Abel Morales - A Most Dangerous Year.

Blog Entries
    "All men are weak at some time in their lives. Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service." -- The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast