Book cover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book cover

Book cover

This post has been superseded by: New Book Covers?

I've worked my way through dozens of simple to elaborate layouts trying to create a cover I liked. So far I've settled on just a photo of the reservation area (one setting in the book) with a not overly conspicuous title. So my point in posting this is to ask your opinion of the book cover.

Note: The source photo has been enhanced and there are no issues in using the photo as per:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...d_Tetons11.jpg

[click the image to enlarge]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewCover.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	8041

- - - - - - - - - - - - - update - - - - - - - - - - - -

I noticed in checking my post that I misspelled Eden. It will be corrected in the master.
    Last edited by LeeC; May 1st, 2015 at 10:15 PM.

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Are you planning to self publish?
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

Not till after I've beat the pavement a good long while looking for a hard cover publisher. Even then, if need be, I may take the route of an iBook.

Site:
    Hidden Content

If you do get a publisher don't they usually choose the cover art?
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

Well the picture is absolutely stunning, it really is. I'd say the font/positioning/colour feels a little off though. It seems a little dated, almost, but that is probably just my personal taste hehe. I like it, overall. It's clever, disguising the title a little so as not to obstruct that beautiful view.
    Remember kids: Drink vodka, play Dotka!

Thanks DM. I suppose so, but I can always offer mine up for consideration.

Thanks Boofy. Yeah I'm dated and a bit understated. Some think my book is as boring as an updated version of Earl Hamner's book Spencer's Mountain (you might better know as the TV series The Waltons), and others seeing what I'm obliquely saying think it's very good. Different strokes and all that

Only time will tell. I've had fun.

Site:
    Hidden Content

I agree about the font. I don't think it does the picture justice. That picture has so much depth to it and that Mountain has it's own level of majesty, the font almost takes away from the grandeur of it. Love how vibrant it looks too. It's a fantastic choice ^_^
    ".... But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
    All losses are restored and sorrows end."
    - William Shakespeare, Sonnet XXX

Thanks hammy. I tried different fonts, sizes, and positions, and didn't come up with anything I thought worked better with the image. If you look at the original image it seems a little flat, but I enhanced it some with Gimp.

I'm sure I've got a good while to think about it. The scenery to me is a bit nostalgic

Site:
    Hidden Content

i would prefer an artist impression rather than a photo myself....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain meadow.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	8043
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Thanks DM. I suppose so, but I can always offer mine up for consideration.

Thanks Boofy. Yeah I'm dated and a bit understated. Some think my book is as boring as an updated version of Earl Hamner's book Spencer's Mountain (you might better know as the TV series The Waltons), and others seeing what I'm obliquely saying think it's very good. Different strokes and all that

Only time will tell. I've had fun.
    After reading your description here, I think a "handwritten script" font would fit the contents/feel of it better. Go to dafont and put in the title and search under handwritten fonts ... you're bound to find one you like.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast