A proposition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A proposition?

Blog Entries

A proposition?

So I've done the whole RPG thing. I RPed on Yahoo in 2002 - 2003, I developed my technique and nowadays I enjoy writing whole stories with other people.

These stories are traditionally started off with a setting, then I introduce my character, then the willing participants ADD ON TO THE STORY, using elements of what I post and also creating their own characters and character plots.

These plots and characters ultimately intersect with one another either on a friendly or antagonistic note depending on the story or who I'm writing with.

The only thing is, this is traditionally done ONE OFF; I post, you post, I post, you post, ect.

But these chapters are like... long. I mean, it's a legitimate story. You would be inclined to post scenes, character POVs, basically follow my example from the prologue I would post.

The most people I've ever successfully completed a decent story with was two. I prefer doing it with one person, but with three it tends to move faster (skip you now, skip me later), and I'm open to including as many people as want to do this.

I already have the basic setting for a story in mind (it's one that I started in the past, but only just got two or three chapters written (this guy didn't post more than one chapter before he ran off).

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone wants to have at it?
    My favorite word in the English language is "shenanigans." My favorite thing to do is cause them.

Smoke weed everyday.

probably going to need to give some background on what sort of story you are planning.
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

Blog Entries
    The story that I have already established is about a fight against a tyrannical dictator and his vast empire.

It takes place in an entirely made up universe, which I have literally already made up so it makes starting this very simple. The goal of the characters is to eliminate the tyrannical dictator. Along the way there will be espionage, intrigue, suspense, and lots and lots of blood. I have a mind to make this a very long story.

I could go on, or I could post the actual setting/prologue. I mean I really just want to know if it's worth attempting. It would be a great joy to see it come to fruition, because I LOVE collaborating with other writers. It's also a good way to make friends.
    My favorite word in the English language is "shenanigans." My favorite thing to do is cause them.

Smoke weed everyday.

we have maybe 5 or 6 fairly regular RPers on this site. But it takes a lot of patience to coax them out sometimes.
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

I am one of those fairly regular RPGers - or I'd like to think so - but writing entire chapters at a time isn't my thing. If I had the energy to write entire chapter at a time I would be doing it for my novel. I prefer the kind of rpg where responses can be shorter and you each respond from your own character.
    I long for the day when MS stands for mystery solved!

I simply do not have a lot of time to dedicate to rping recently.

Blog Entries
    The point of making these chapters long is to take away the necessity to sit and wait for someone to post something; a collaborative effort of this nature would require nothing more than for you to take the time to write something, stop if necessary and save it, then go back later and finish it.

The chapters themselves aren't intended to be giant indesipherable walls of text - I can't stand them myself - but as long as necessary to move the story along, reasonably, in a direction someone else can pick it up from.

I wouldn't attempt to write an epic RP. Just a book format story which the authors made interesting.

There would be no set amount of words; chapters can always be short and there can be as many chapters as need be to finish the story.

I KNOW that the formula works because I've successfully done it in the past, but there seems to be a growing trend in people losing interest/time to RP and unaware of this method of collaborative story telling.

The strictly enforced regulation that only a couple/few select people can add to the story ensures that it doesn't get too confusing or overcomplicated. There wouldn't be much need for contact because the other author(s) would be writing based entirely off of what was written in the previous chapters, incorporating the characters that they created and using them in conjunction with characters that other authors created, thus making everything easy to play around with, and also ensuring that the story develops quickly and doesn't stagnate.

>> I could go on and on explaining it but this concept is starting to seem lost.

Smoke weed everyday.

From what I can tell, the idea is for fairly contained individual simultaneous narratives taking place in the same story universe, meaning all the narratives are self-contained save common events in the timeline and a select few character interactions between the narratives, which differs from normal RPGs which have a much larger amount of contact between its characters and a single or near single common narrative, right? Assuming I understood this correctly, then the advantage that you're trying to convey is that every author only has to build on his or her own narrative with a continuous world in case they don't have any ideas?

I bet I totally misunderstood this and offended all the people. Please don't send dogs to gnaw my face.
    Every atom in your body was forged in a star. Act like it.

"No one fears the wolf because he has sharp teeth. They fear him because he uses them." -TheTachyon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightPlutonian View Post
    From what I can tell, the idea is for fairly contained individual simultaneous narratives taking place in the same story universe, meaning all the narratives are self-contained save common events in the timeline and a select few character interactions between the narratives, which differs from normal RPGs which have a much larger amount of contact between its characters and a single or near single common narrative, right? Assuming I understood this correctly, then the advantage that you're trying to convey is that every author only has to build on his or her own narrative with a continuous world in case they don't have any ideas?

I bet I totally misunderstood this and offended all the people. Please don't send dogs to gnaw my face.
    Very close to correct. For example, although the setting is the same, and the story is the same, my character and yours would potentially not even meet until chapter 7 or 8, well into the story.

Also, because writers are basing what is fact off of what was written beforehand, it creates a sense of realism (no one should really have any problem being creative without dicking the whole story up in the process).

It would be impossible to post a brief demonstration, but I feel like it would be extremely simple to understand if one would see the format I post the actual story in (as I've said already), and far less time consuming/boring than one might assume. Collaborative writing tends to bring out a lot of unique ideas for me.

Smoke weed everyday.

Well, I'm in if it ever starts up
    Every atom in your body was forged in a star. Act like it.

"No one fears the wolf because he has sharp teeth. They fear him because he uses them." -TheTachyon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast