What is another name for death bringer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is another name for death bringer?

What is another name for death bringer?

Hello everyone. I am working on an e-book right now. The genre is supernatural and the idea was born from a video game I collaborated on years ago, but it unfortunately never took off. The main character of this book is a shinigami/death god.

Originally I had the story set up in a Japanese city. But now considering this will only attract certain readers, I want to take a more general approach and perhaps make it seem like this is taking place on a city anywhere else in the world that all sorts of readers can identify with and properly visualize. There are many other races being mentioned in this book along with humans, such like it has been made popular on many other books already. But with this book I wanted to bring a unique element to supernatural stories by bringing in a race of characters that is almost never talked about, yet has a huge appeal. These is where the idea for the shinigami as a main character came in to place.
    But I don’t want them referred to as shinigami. I was looking for alternative names for shinigami. Death bringer has a nice ring to it, but perhaps there are other options that I could be considering.

I was hoping that some of you very creative and unique writers would throw a few suggestions my way and help me come up with an appealing name for my race of shinigami.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Is the "Grim Reaper" too obvious?
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Good idea, but I feel that 'Reaper' alone makes it less cliché and more eye-catching/interesting.
    "But I think, Mr Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in these stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding onto something.
    What are we holding onto, Sam?
    That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

Why would a setting only attract a certain kind of audience? Black Butler didn't put off the Japanese because it was set in England. A foreign country often helps a fantasy setting, as long as that country has similar normalities to work with (which Japan definitely does)

Anyway, I was going to use 'Undertaker' for a WIP that got cancelled - human connotations with sinister undertones, but enough neutrality to make it work for a heroic character.

'Mara' is a Hindu word pertaining to death and also has a nice, foreign ring to it.

You could also use 'Dullahan', depending on how many of your readers you think have read/seen Durarara!!.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

soul taker
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    How about Azrael, the Archangel of Death.
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

You could always use an online translator to find out how to say Bringer of Death (or something similar) in other languages and base the name off that.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” -Carl Sagan

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. --Jon Roland, 1976

Have you checked out the Hidden Content

Founder of the Pantsers United Group and member of the Fantasy Lords Group

"Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful,
    insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows." - Walt Disney

I'm not clear what level of fantasy you are looking for with the naming i.e. something closely based on an already well known term or something from total fantasy that has a much looser connection with a current term.
    Just a few things popping into my head:
    Mortrangers, Mortwelts, Sinsleepers, Finalizers, Departers, Wormfeeders, Gaspers, Mortae are, perhaps, the sort of names that might have been in a Harry Potter type of fantasy. Perhaps a little closer to known words might be Medusa or maybe adapt one of the names here ( http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Thanatos.html ).
    Maybe even "Levellers" as death is referred to as the "Great leveller" - though this may need care as the Levellers were also a political movement in the English civil war.

Perhaps these aren't the sort of things you are looking for though?

I like the ring of undertaker, or the undertakers as it is a whole race. I am mostly thinking of those readers that have no connection to Japan, or even the world of anime, I just wanted to perhaps make things easier for them, but over all I think you are right.

I am mostly thinking of those readers that have no connection to Japan, or even the world of anime, I just wanted to perhaps make things easier for them
    Think of it another way: 'Shinigami' is an easy-to-read but foreign word; the reader googles it and comes across Death Note or something similar; they watch Death Note or something similar; they get into anime.

Boom! The number of otakus worldwide doubles overnight (or something).

Speaking of otakus, I have more Baka to Test to watch...
    Last edited by Jeko; March 15th, 2015 at 11:33 PM.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast