"English, dude, English!" - Page 9

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "English, dude, English!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    How would you address a member who originally had the username: 剣 斧 血 ?
    I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh could answer that, but he might get banned in the process.

By the way, does the inclusion of an American slang word in the title imply any criticism of their specific version of the language? Perhaps a more neutral remark would have been better, or is the word commonly used in Australia as well?
    Last edited by JustRob; April 14th, 2016 at 02:38 PM.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh could answer that, but he might get banned in the process.

By the way, does the inclusion of an American slang word in the title imply any criticism of their specific version of the language? Perhaps a more neutral remark would have been better, or is the word commonly used in Australia as well?
    It is well known here in Oz. And no, there was nothing implied. It was simply a well known quote from a recent movie.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Blog Entries
    Strange - when I put 剣 斧 血 in my translation program as "Auto Detect" it said it was Japanese. So I put it in again as "Chinese", and they both came up with the same translation.

It is definitely Chinese though because if it was Japanese the translation from the English would be ソードアックスブラッド
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    Strange - when I put 剣 斧 血 in my translation program as "Auto Detect" it said it was Japanese. So I put it in again as "Chinese", and they both came up with the same translation.

It is definitely Chinese though because if it was Japanese the translation from the English would be ソードアックスブラッド
    Not surprising. When I studied Japanese (so long ago it doesn't matter), we learned that Chinese characters were often used in Japanese writings. Part of that is, as we can see here, the economy of space required to convey the same message.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Right, so true. But I think maybe, perhaps, reading writes here we shouldn't need a translator, right? Or if I am wrong, I've found one and I'll be more than happy to use it and if need be, it's there.

The devil in me says -

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    The devil in me says -

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht

And I would need a translator for this does cht = ght ?
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MzSnowleopard View Post
    And I would need a translator for this does cht = ght ?
    It's a great/good moonlight night tonight - Scottish

Lang may y' lum reek, MzSnowleopard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    It's a great/good moonlight night tonight - Scottish

Lang may y' lum reek, MzSnowleopard.
    Not a clue what that says lol
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    It is a Scottish Hogmany greeting, implying "May you never be without fuel for your fire!", but more literally translates to "Long may your chimney smoke!"
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.