"English, dude, English!" - Page 7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "English, dude, English!"

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    dayum -- they're both furrin.
    You're right. The only true English is Strine.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    You're right. The only true English is Strine.
    That will be what the queen, guardian of our Gloria Sarah Titch, speaks then?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    That will be what the queen, guardian of our Gloria Sarah Titch, speaks then?
    Ah, well, the Queen has to be above all this quibbling over how to pronounce tomato. She wears many crowns - although not as many as she once did - and has translators for all those foreign ways of speech, like Scottish, Cockney, Kiwi, Rasta, Canuck, or yes, Strine. Still, she does know that, "G'die mite! 'Ow they hangin'?" is a greeting and not a curse or inquiry of capital punishment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but they're both the same language. The only difference is pronunciation and spelling.

Have you ever read a book by an American author and needed a disclaimer to say that it was written in U.S. English, or vice versa?
    Since I'm an American, that's the only English I read. My point is to get people to stop bringing it up. What I mean by this is - for example- with my own pieces, several people felt it necessary to tell that they had to do a comparison, that it was time consuming- first using the British spellcheck, then the US spellcheck. Some of these people just out right altered the words (another site, now defunct) to British spelling- then proceeded to chastise me for my misspelling and not using spellcheck. it didn't matter to them that I explained that I was using the US spelling, and HAD used spellcheck- as far as they were concerned I was wrong. (hence why I'm not on that site anymore- and last I heard it was dead.)

So rather than have repeats of this behavior, it seems to me that it's just easier to make people aware of which version of English is being used. It would save a lot of arguments and offenses.
    Last edited by MzSnowleopard; April 6th, 2016 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typo
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Or you could let them show the internet at large how ignorant they are and smile.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Blog Entries
    Tried that, they got nasty. The reasons why that forum failed are rather obvious.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but they're both the same language. The only difference is pronunciation and spelling.
    Really? Within this forum it has been apparent to me that wrong advice about grammar has certainly been given in the SPAG section by people from the opposite side of the pond. This is why I advocated a means of identifying a member's preferred regional style in their profile. A person indoctrinated in one variety of English must be cautious in advising another who employs a different variety just as the advised person must be aware of the source of the advice. There may well be no such thing as universally "good" English.

There may be a median version of the language, but across the pond some might think that that would have something to do with the space in the middle of a motorway, which they would describe as a freeway, while on this side of the pond there are roads designated as the latter which have no central reservation, which in itself might be regarded by others back across the water as a homeland for native Americans who probably never specifically wanted to speak any form of English at all, No. it's not just about pronunciation and spelling. I can brook no truck with that. Of course in Oz there's no problem with medians because any route by which a truck can avoid ending up in a seasonal brook is deemed to be a road of some sort.

I heard recently on the TV that the French are upset that their language is no longer considered to be a front runner internationally, the big three now being English, Spanish and Chinese globally, although all of these have regional variations. Tant pis. The French shouldn't have made so much of an effort to keep their language pure. In contrast we English speakers are happy to plagiarise every other language. Even my specific use of the word "truck" above derives from a French word. When that great representative of the American people George W said that the French didn't have a word for entrepreneur he was right in a way because we English speakers had already stolen it. In fact our language is itself an entrepreneur in a way, filling a perceived need in the world. Keeping a language pure serves a very different purpose.

We could correspond more on this subject beyond this forum if I gave you my email address, but it happens to be in Latin and providing an English translation wouldn't help much there. Anyway, despite the best efforts of my schoolteachers I never did grasp much of an understanding of that language, so it seems odd that I chose to use it for my address and website name. Everything on that website is alien to me though, even though I wrote all of it. I am not the sort of person to write a science fiction novel nor delve into quantum theory, psychology and neuroscience, nor speculate about the paranormal and yet there it is, but at least it's all in reasonably good English.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

So. I get the english part.
    I just don't get why you would enforce the usage of English names.. what harm can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraroel View Post
    So. I get the english part.
    I just don't get why you would enforce the usage of English names.. what harm can be done?
    How would you address a member who originally had the username: 剣 斧 血 ?

And if we allow one, what happens when we have a hundred in non-English symbols or alphabets?

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    How would you address a member who originally had the username: 剣 斧 血 ?
    Probably as ****