"English, dude, English!" - Page 6

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "English, dude, English!"

Ha, I don't type with a Texan accent either, but I probably use words and phrases sometimes only a Texan would be likely to use. That is, sometimes my heritage comes forth in my writing.

Yeah, English can be a real challenge for someone not brought up with it.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    I'm with ya midnight, being from the South sometimes I don't even think about it when I type in y'all for you all. Drives some of my online buds bonkers.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

As has been mentioned, English is hard enough to master for natives, let alone ESL-writers.

A great deal of our learning here on the forum is about the regional variations in spelling, grammar, pronunciation and accents, and punctuation. I'm one of the lucky ones: always topped my class in English, and ranked in the top 1.2% of the English-speaking population, but I still have to check words, uses, and regional variations.

I have nothing but admiration for those who can master two or more languages, but for this forum, one language is enough to deal with, and that one language is English in all of its varied expressions.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

So posting in Wookie isn't allowed?

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    No, not without an accredited translation.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    I had to ask BFF Google what Wookie is. Facepalm.

"We will all laugh at gilded butterflies."

"Sometimes I can feel my bones straining
    under the weight of all the lives I'm not living."
    Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief:
    and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Blog Entries
    Here's a thought, would it help if people added a tag to the first part of a post containing story / poetry content like this

"US English" for those who write American English

and

"BR English" for those who write British English

Just a thought
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

I understand the sentiment, but they're both the same language. The only difference is pronunciation and spelling.

Have you ever read a book by an American author and needed a disclaimer to say that it was written in U.S. English, or vice versa?
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but they're both the same language. The only difference is pronunciation and spelling.

Have you ever read a book by an American author and needed a disclaimer to say that it was written in U.S. English, or vice versa?
    But... but... English English smells like tea and old buildings...

And last I checked my watch, I speak 'MERICAN.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

dayum -- they're both furrin.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!