Coffeehouse Roundtable

Page 1 of 50 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffeehouse Roundtable

Coffeehouse Roundtable

This is the place for discussions of NaPoWriMo-related topics that are not poems or comments/critiques.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

I knew April was National Poetry Month, but I didn't know there was a challenge akin to NaNoWriMo. (Happy, ditsy girl squeal, insert happy dance). I can do fiction, but I breathe poetry.

Hi Darkkin! Anything particular you like to breathe, or is it the whole molecular smorgasbord?
    “Be happy with what you have and are, be generous with both, and you won't have to hunt for happiness.”

I'm a niche bard with a weird affinity for linear narratives and a deplorable lack of apperciation for modern free form poetry. I've read it. I've studied it. I don't get it. I respect it, but I don't get it. Classic poets, and I'm a duck in a puddle, although, I do have to discount Whitman, he's a little trippy.

I started off preferring free verse both to read and to write, but I've spent some time now trying classic forms and can appreciate the freedom of expression a rigid structure can bring. I guess that makes me a... mongrel bard?! Looking forward to another round of high-pressure poetics this year... gulp.
    “Be happy with what you have and are, be generous with both, and you won't have to hunt for happiness.”

I've never done it before, so I'm wondering if my creative constructs can handle the pressure. Good thing I've been updating my music library, always my primary source of inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    I've never done it before, so I'm wondering if my creative constructs can handle the pressure. Good thing I've been updating my music library, always my primary source of inspiration.
    That's why I was saying Pick One instead of assigning them to day numbers. Also, I don't have 30 yet, so your input would be appreciated.
    — Robert G. Allen

So, does anyone have any questions about the prompts? I do. #27. Write a poem that starts at the end, moving backwards.

I take that to mean build it from the bottom up. I don't know that anyone could tell by reading if you did that. Does someone have a different understanding that they could impart?
    — Robert G. Allen

I took it to mean narratively, rather than literally.

That was my thinking. Maybe the ending thought is the one it's started with. Then it works backwards from there.

Page 1 of 50 12345678911 ... LastLast