Coffeehouse Roundtable - Page 9

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffeehouse Roundtable

Well, I did more than 30, but many of them were short and/or horrid. What you did was of a higher average quality, so, in a sense, you succeeded better than I did.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

Annie, you consistently produce work of such technical acuity that it's painful because I know I will not reach that level of skill.

A horrid triolet that is technically precise is still horrid. Just saying. I didn't even show my husband.

I aspire to be how you paint me. Perhaps I dwell too much on the failure, but it's Sturgeon's Law that ninety-something percent of everything is crap. I make up for some truly crappy poets, but not THAT many.
    Robert G. Allen

(Blows dust off table, rummages around for something remotely edible...finds an apple...(Turtle steals apple, begins munching.) Glares at Turtle...).

Two days until it begins, don't know how you folks are going to be starting off, but I've been bird watching...A few things on my NaPoem docket this year: A pantoum and a flip perspective of my first villanelle, Turtle upon Tide told from the Wendigo's point of view, as well as a ride on the back of the last Great Ripple Gannet.
    Last edited by Darkkin; March 30th, 2016 at 09:23 PM.

Well, I want to write something for my dead ... as long as someone remembers, they're not truly gone. That's the only agenda-item I have -- I have half-thoughts kicking around, but nothing cohering.

I want to do more humor, but find that it's hard to plan.
    Robert G. Allen

Tomorrow's the Big Day!
    Wondering whether I should write a poem in the morning before a full day of work, or hope that work inspires one...

I have no plans -- not even a theme. (But I do have wine.)
    -----
    NaPoWriMo Medallist twice. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by EllaLouis View Post
    Tomorrow's the Big Day!
    Wondering whether I should write a poem in the morning before a full day of work, or hope that work inspires one...

I have no plans -- not even a theme. (But I do have wine.)
    I have no choice. I work overnight. So, mine will be posted either after work or after I take a nap from working. I do have a theme. I'm stoked. Good luck!

Last year I laid ground work, this year it's do or die trying...And one of the things I have been working fiercely on is my consistency. I'm going schemed, tercet, quatrain, villanelle, and pantoum. Stuffy and antiquated, yes, but for some odd reason I find the right words when I know where the bones of the story lay.

(Just as a precaution, I consulted the Magic 8 Ball. My question: Will I fail? Its reply: Epically. So, knowing this, I've decided that if I have to fail, I will do it to the best of my abilities! )
    Last edited by Darkkin; March 31st, 2016 at 07:06 PM.

So, my running mates (too much CNN and Presidential Elections, sorry) all have plans, which is comforting: there will be NaPo poems for me to read -- and worth reading, even if mine aren't and I fail, in a small, fizzling out, non-heroic kinda way.

From The Cricket Monthly:

"A ball, a legbreak, once written of by Sunil Gavaskar, beat his bat, missed the off stump and caused no wicket, no run, leaving a pencilled dot for a trace, and would now exist only in select eyewitness memory or be zapped entirely if not for Gavaskar's telling and Ramachandra Guha's retelling of it later. This ball was that non-epic."