The Purple Pippery - Welcome and General Discussions - Page 151

Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51101141143144145146147148149150151
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1510
    If you enter the Pip challenge, and you fail to offer feedback to EVERYONE who is also participating in the Pip challenge.... you will be disqualified. The reason should be obvious...
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Yes sorry. I didn't even do a revision this month (and should be disqualified for that reason anyways... total holidays time sink sorry). I do try to offer feedback, but often times when a thread is 3 or more pages long I find that whatever feedback I would offer has already been covered. Is there anyone who is abusing this system in such a way? I don't think I've seen anyone trying to "game" the purple pip challenge, and I really hate to do the "oh nice revisions" or "nothing to add" response. I don't know it feels wrong in a way to say something that is nothing rather than actually saying nothing. I want to give meaningful feedback, even if it's just suggesting a single word change. Maybe that's just a personal hang-up I need to get over though.
    I find that my lack of knowledge can sometimes be an asset in that I'm forced to try new things because I don't have any other options.

Sorry, Fire. I ran out of time as I've been in France with grandkids. I understand I will be disqualified. Soreeee...
    Hidden Content
    My personal space Hidden Content is always open to visitors so please pop across and say 'Hi!'

I am not feeling well, and have not had the energy to research a new Pip challenge... I am willing to post a new challenge, if anyone feels inspired to offer any suggestions....
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

it's not about the quality of feedback - it's all about participation and engagement to encourage each other to improve.
    but we're not going for the Nobel Prize here, so any comment, no matter how small, would be gratefully received.
    I enjoy the challenge of writing poetry in different forms - so maybe the challenge should be renamed to reflect this?

sorry to hear you are not feeling well Fire - get well soon...............Ned
    find the sublime within the murk
    then throw in a rhyme to make it work

Fire, hope you feel better and very soon. Here’s my suggestion:

11. Sestina: Six stanzas consisting of six lines each, composed in fixed verse form. A repeating set of six words ends the lines of each of the six-line stanzas, but in a different order with each repetition. Example: Elizabeth Bishop’s “Sestina”
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Pel, that's far too difficult. I think we will lose the spirit of the 'poets in progress challenge' if we make it too difficult for new poets joining WF or some who would just like to try writing poetry. One new poet has already indicated that the Pip was too hard, which is a shame.
    Last edited by PiP; January 3rd, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Hidden Content
    My personal space Hidden Content is always open to visitors so please pop across and say 'Hi!'

Never thought about it that way. That’s a very good point. Something much simpler structure might be a better option. Thanks PiP.

How’s this?

An allegory falls in line with the moral of a story. While an allegory is a story, poem, or picture, it's used to reveal a hidden meaning or message, like the moral. Allegories are exciting because they use characters and events to convey a meaning. They don't just come right out and say it.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by J.J. Maxx View Post
    So, on January 1st, works published in 1923 will enter the public domain. Free from protection, these works will be able to be sewn into the fabric of society freely and without restraint. Most notably, this collection includes Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost. Frost called the poem, 'my best bid for remembrance.' While we still have a few weeks before the new year, I wanted to start priming the creative baffles regarding this event. The poem is written in iambic tetrameter in the Rubaiyat stanza. The rhyme scheme is AABA BBCB CCDC DDDD.

Seeing how it is winter and we are being graced with unfettered access to this work, perhaps an homage of some sort is in order? Maybe recreating the structure and theme in our own words? Just a thought as I think on these things.

Cheers.

~ J. J.
    Just throwing this back out there, now that it's January. This poem is now in the public domain.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
    By Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other soundís the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

~ J. J.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." - Douglas Adams

What about writing a free verse poem in tercets?
    Hidden Content