The Purple Pippery - Welcome and General Discussions - Page 150

Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50100140142143144145146147148149150
Results 1,491 to 1,497 of 1497
    Halloween themed shape poetry
    I find that my lack of knowledge can sometimes be an asset in that I'm forced to try new things because I don't have any other options.

Alright, let's play. I am studiously inept at this stuff, being a devotee to free verse, but let's play. Take this parody of Scott's deathless lines:

The stag at eve had drunk his fill
    and rolled the bottle down the hill.

Straightforward rhymed iambic tetrameter: unstress, stress/unstress, stress...etc. Four beats to the bar. If I lay it out like this, has it suddenly lost its stress pattern and become syllabic? ---

the stag
    at eve
    had drunk
    his fill
    and rolled
    the bot-
    tle down
    the hill

Okay, okay--I got a little carried away with 'bottle', but we ARE playing in an effort to get at the nature of the beast: how does a syllabic-count poem differ from a stress-pattern poem? Surely we need to kick that around a bit at the outset, no?

Just in passing--I write rhyming poetry only when I write satire or humour, so I would be utterly lost trying to write something "straight" in two-syllable per line. It would end up reading like binary code or doggerel. Or both.

Then again, I may be entirely missing the boat as we sail into this challenge. I'm feeling wonderfully irresponsible.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

OOPs! I thought PiP's tw0-syllable bit WAS the challenge. But I see now you're all just throwing stuff on the table to FIND a challenge.

Okay--want to have some fun?: in the late 1500s Christopher Marlowe wrote "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love". Subsequent poets over the next six or seven decades wrote responses and parodies of Marlowe's idyllic pastoral ditty, ranging in tone from gentle irony to existential angst to grossly sexual insult to cynical musing :

Sir Walter Ralegh, "The Nymph's Reply"
    Shakespeare, "Sonnet 130"**
    John Donne, "The Bait"
    Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress"

**For this challenge, Sonnet 130 is of interest ONLY for its content, where the poet blasts the pastoral tradition and its ridiculous idealized image of the perfect woman

Ralegh, Donne, and Marvel parody the content of Marlowe's original poem, offering instead more realistic attitudes that reflect their view of life, but they do so using his exact poetic form.

And there's the challenge: Using the FORM of Marlowe's poem, write YOUR 2018 response to this kind of idealism about love and life.

Here's the original. The responses from the other poets are also a lot of fun. . .with some very grim moments and memorable lines you will recognize. And if it looks "easy" to "just" imitate the structure below while also saying something worth reading--whatever approach you choose to take--hmm, have another think.

The Passionate Shepherd to His Love

Christopher Marlowe, 1564 - 1593

Come live with me and be my love,
    And we will all the pleasures prove
    That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
    Woods, or steepy mountain yields.

And we will sit upon the rocks,
    Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
    By shallow rivers to whose falls
    Melodious birds sing madrigals.

And I will make thee beds of roses
    And a thousand fragrant posies,
    A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
    Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle;

A gown made of the finest wool
    Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
    Fair lined slippers for the cold,
    With buckles of the purest gold;

A belt of straw and ivy buds,
    With coral clasps and amber studs:
    And if these pleasures may thee move,
    Come live with me, and be my love.

The shepherds’ swains shall dance and sing
    For thy delight each May morning:
    If these delights thy mind may move,
    Then live with me and be my love.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Just a thought, Fire. If it turns your crank, go for it. If not. . .into the round file with it!

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Seem so easy that a baby could do it.
    But not me so easily.

What about a theme or several prompts?
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Dear Creative Clark... I think this is a fabulous idea... so, we would take the above poem, and rewrite it in todays language, imagery ....?
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Yes. Read ANY ONE of Ralegh, Donne, or Marvells' "responses" to Marlowe's poem as examples. I think it should be wide open, as long as Marlowe's form is followed.

Essentially, our poets would be doing for 2018 what the other poets did for their periods and their individual visions.

Clark, sounds like a wonderful challenge... I will send you a PM ...
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.