Thread: The Purple Pippery - Welcome and General Discussions

Reminder: challenge closes in less than three hours
    Check Out Our Members' Creative Works on <FLASHES of BRILLIANCE>

My first round scores are up.
    Nature is awesome.
    Translate this to Japanese
    syllables unchanged

Andrew;

Thanks very much for your suggestions. This is the only place where I can comment.

When I wrote this, the only definition I had was that WIKI said; any five line poem.
    It was after posting I learned two things, that there are definite types of these poems and that the only definition I meet was what’s considered an archaic and probably nonlonger accepted.
    I’ll do what I can to make it fit your expection of American.
    Illegitimi non carborundum 'Vinegar' Joe Stilwell
    What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

Plenty of other people did a five line poem, which does qualify. The reason I assume you were aiming for a very specific form was due it fitting that format exactly save for one line being off by a single term. It stinks that this effectively lowers your score compared to people who just did "5 lines." But the scoring system is based on the criteria of each category not a "how much did I like the poem" number. This competition (despite being a competition) is in fact not about winning, but about gaining a clearer view into one's own writing, how others perceive it, and how to edit and improve it, as well as exposure to different forms and styles of poetry. As a judge it's forcing me judge technical aspects of poems in isolation, not because this is the best way to "judge" a poem, but because it's a useful skill for appraising one's own work as well. This is all about self improvement all around. That's the spirit of the Poets in Progress challenges.
    Nature is awesome.
    Translate this to Japanese
    syllables unchanged

I understand that you’ll need to adjust my score. At least I’ve learned something about poetry I didn’t know and am better for it. At least my edits will have a more definitive set of goals and boundaries.
    Illegitimi non carborundum 'Vinegar' Joe Stilwell
    What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.