penis or dick? [Explicit Language] - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: penis or dick? [Explicit Language]

Quote Originally Posted by Gargh View Post
    I personally dislike euphemisms and put one book down after the author kept referencing 'her sex' like the poor character's genitals were some mysterious unknown land of pleasure rather than an active body part (can't recall what it was).
    This was done in 50 Shades, and it was awful. This was one of the many reasons I couldn't make myself finish the book. Calling it her 'sex' was distracting and nonsensical.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    lol. i doubt that. i was probably giggling like an immature teenage moron when i typed it.
    Well, I was being fictitious really. How about, drunken stupor then? LOL
    My friends and family call me Bill, you may also.Hidden Content

When people meet people,
    Potential Strangers, Acquaintances, Friends.

When dogs meet people,
    Potential Friends, Acquaintances, Strangers.

I would rather be the Dog.

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

A word without thought can destroy.
    Please remember to think before you speak.

Perhaps a little humorously, I was wondering about using metaphor such as "Old Faithful", "eruption of Krakatoa" (I guess the latter could be taken several ways) or "tidal wave". I can think of a few other ways it might be done without even naming body parts but those might exceed the PG13.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Phil Istine; February 21st, 2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: double post

I would say the narrator would stick with the medical terms whilst the charter’s themselves… well they are your characters so you know better than I do what code name they give there privet parts lol.
    There is no burden we are given that is beyond our bearing.

As others have said, it depends on the context. Two people in the throes of passion aren't going to use the "correct" words when talking to each other, but if you're in a more formal situation, I would use the "politically correct" proper words.

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0pe View Post
    I would say the narrator would stick with the medical terms
    I agree. I think narrators are best left neutral, stating the facts, unless maybe the story is first person in which case your MC would be the narrator. I just decide based on what effect I'm looking for.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    so i'm writing my stories. and when it comes to naming sexual crap, i sometimes become like baffled about what to do.
    Whose POV is it?
    • Third-person narrator: penis/vagina.
    • First person: whatever the character would call it.

What the character calls it will vary. When I was entertaining gentlemen, that was among the first questions I'd ask--so I could use the same term. Whether it's a cock, willie, or dick (or whether it has a name, like "John Henry" or whatever) depends on the guy. When describing/verbalizing what he intended to do, my partner might use euphemisms, generally computer-related as that's my background and that of many of the gentlemen formerly in my life.

Guys also have varying names for the vagina. To myself, I call it a cunny (related to the word "cunning" and that's the why of it), but generally, it would go by the name my gentleman preferred. Mine has been called a cunny, snatch, cunt, or pussy. Also, the euphemisms happen.

I've been married for a good while this current time, so my information may be somewhat stale.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Rick or Richard?
    Check out my writing and other stuff
    Hidden Content
    Also check out my new wine blog, J'adore le Vin
    Hidden Content
    YouTube and Twitter page to come soon

Quote Originally Posted by wainscottbl View Post
    Rick or Richard?
    Dickard, of course.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456