penis or dick? [Explicit Language] - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: penis or dick? [Explicit Language]

Quote Originally Posted by KJay View Post
    When I write a 'sex scene' I tend to work towards the sex bit and then skip the actual nitty gritty. Most of the time it is simply not necessary to explain. We all know what it's like!
    If I do write about the actual sex I prefer to concentrate on the emotions rather than what the characters are using their parts for But then, for me sex and emotions are inseparable. That does not mean it always has to be about love though...
    I go along with most of that but I do particularly agree about avoiding the nitty gritty. Getting a dose of scabies on a sandy beach doesn't appeal to me at all. My angel used to work in a nursing home and it was infected by scabies which spread throughout the staff and their families -- twice. So I was applying the curative lotion to my entire body as the instructions said and they'd also mentioned that one might experience a tingling sensation. In fact I ended up writhing in agony on the bathroom floor after applying it to my -- what do we call those bits again?
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    so i'm writing my stories. and when it comes to naming sexual crap, i sometimes become like baffled about what to do.
    i'm not an erotica writer...well...only once......but what should i do? sex is a part of my stories, even if they aren't technically
    "erotica". should i use the word "dick' or "cock' or "penis" or what? and for me? it gets even MORE complicated with the female
    anatomy. because to me? women are very sacred. so i don't like naming their "netherlands" as anything other than flowery.
    but my point is...what word can a non-erotica writer use to label the dick and the "flower"? i like my writing to have an element
    of class to it, believe it or not. should i just say dick and cunt? in my previous works...i've skirted the issue by portraying the
    sex scenes as "musical" or "abstract coloration". even in my erotica story. the publisher emailed me giggling about how i actually
    made violent sex "classy". anyway...i'm just posting this thread because i'm bored and drunk. i'm insane anyway, so who cares.
    It's an interesting thing, this erotica genre! I own a few "how-to" books on the subject, and one thing I've noticed all erotica authors talk about is the use of genitalia-specific language.

There are actually different approaches authors are advised to take when writing for male readers versus female readers.

(Language Disclaimer!)

When writing for male readers:

For female genitalia, male readers generally prefer more blunt and (arguably) crass terms, like "slit", "gash", "hole", "cunt", and the most popular of all, "pussycat" (minus the "cat").

To describe male genitalia, male readers generally prefer "cock" and "dick" and the occasional "hard-on" and the more juvenile "boner."

When writing for female readers:

To describe female genitalia, female readers generally prefer more indirect terms, like "core", "wetness", "sex" ("my sex quivered with anticipation..."), and "center."

To describe male genitalia, female readers generally prefer "erection", "manhood", "member" and—an overlap here between male and female readers—female readers also are comfortable with the word "cock", though usually in more erotic (and less romantic) scenes.

The more clinical terms like "penis" and "vagina" rank low on the popularity scale, for whatever reason.

Of course, not all male readers like crass terms and not all female readers like euphemisms, so take those generalizations with a grain of salt.

As Christina Palmer mentions in her book, How to Write Erotic Short Stories that Sell, "The basic rule as to how and what audience you will gear your story towards is 'use your own judgement.'"

So, one approach you could use is to figure out the gender of your intended audience, then write to them. Or just wing it. Whatever works!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistique View Post
    Well, if you have friends there, and I am going to asume that this means you have actually been there (but perhaps I am mistaken in this) then you would know that the red light district is only a few streets in the entire city. It's not all sex industry there.... there is always the coffee shops too
    No, we haven't but hope to one day. Our Dutch friends come to us and now are going to move to Manchester for occupational reasons. They reckon that getting from Manchester to Kent will take as long as it takes from Amsterdam, rather a substantial overshoot problem in their residential choice there. Manchester may well have as active a red light district as Amsterdam, but I wouldn't know or care. I have an angel to keep me warm. I've never asked her what angels call those personal bits although they're quite conventional, I assure you.

Update: I did try asking my angel but apparently angels just laugh about the way that humanity worries about such trivia. I'm with her on that all the way.
    Last edited by JustRob; February 19th, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

No slight meant to anyone here, but to me getting overly explicit unnecessarily (which is by far the use in fiction) is a cover for lacking wordsmith skills, seeking shock attention, or personal fantasying. Each to their own views

There are so many ways to convey things that even in character definition just a scattering of milder terms gets the idea across. This reminds me of explaining a situation just experienced. I've been off starting another big pot of southwestern chili and I like it hot. Trouble is that after I prepared the peppers, I forgot to scrub my hands thoroughly before going to the restroom

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

I like those flowery terms... but then all my current fantasies are set in 18th century Scotland, red haired beauty with young mushcular guy that speaks Hungarian or some such other (can't understand a lick... Honey, what's the name of that show we watch? Outback, Outhouse, Outreach.... I don't know). Setting, it has to do with setting.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I go along with most of that but I do particularly agree about avoiding the nitty gritty. Getting a dose of scabies on a sandy beach doesn't appeal to me at all. My angel used to work in a nursing home and it was infected by scabies which spread throughout the staff and their families -- twice. So I was applying the curative lotion to my entire body as the instructions said and they'd also mentioned that one might experience a tingling sensation. In fact I ended up writhing in agony on the bathroom floor after applying it to my -- what do we call those bits again?
    I used to work in Dermatology - I know all about scabies... Not fun, but at least it was not me they were treating!

And of course I have no idea which bits you might be referring to... (ignoring thread name of course)

I couldn't think of much worse than flipping through and enjoying a novel only to find the word 'cock' or 'dick', even 'penis' on the next page. It would ruin it. There are far more creative and romantic ways to describe sex than giving the reader a biology lesson. I think skirting the issue by portraying sexual scenes in a more musical or abstract sense, as you say you've done before, is definitely the route to go down.

If indeed you must go down that route at all, I've always preferred to hint to the reader that that scene is going to occur, and leaving it at that - they don't need the gory detail (unless it's an erotic novel, in which case, I should be ignored completely).
    "But I think, Mr Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in these stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding onto something.
    What are we holding onto, Sam?
    That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

oh my god. i love mornings like this. you should read my facebook private messages. i am amused and astounded with myself.
    i guess a good blackout brings out the internal retard in me. fun thread, i guess. a shame i don't remember writing it.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Quote Originally Posted by KJay View Post
    I think to me a good sex scene leaves a lot to the imagination, so maybe you can avoid having to use specific body parts and suggest more.
    This is typically what I've done and what I was going to suggest. Unless your story calls for a super explicit sex scene, most of the time it feels out of place and jarring to just switch over to using words like dick and cock, and then acting like it never happened after the scene. There are ways to finesse a sex scene without having to mention any specific parts at all, much less give them stupid petnames. Focus on the emotions of your characters during the act, or the sensations, instead of exactly what is doing what to someones other what.
    "The poet, slave to devotion,
    Drunk on the sacred liquor,
    Enraptured, turns his face to Heaven
    And staggering sucks and slurps
    The wine we drink through the eyes."
    - Pierrot Lunaire

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Have the balls to use the proper terms.
    I think you mean "testicles."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R View Post
    For female genitalia, male readers generally prefer more blunt and (arguably) crass terms, like "slit", "gash", "hole", "cunt", and the most popular of all, "pussycat" (minus the "cat").
    It's strange to me that you were willing to write the c-word but not the p-word. The former is universally considered far more obscene than the latter (many would rank it as the most obscene word in the English language).

To be clear, I'm not concerned that you used the word to begin with - you had the language warning and all. It's just an unusual implied ordering.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast