What grinds my gears... - Page 11

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What grinds my gears...

Political prostitutes (people in high places who are bought and paid for).

I could dedicate a whole book tk things that grinds my gears but I'll only list three. Three because they aren't complicated and it tells a little bit about myself. Ok putting dishes with food in my dishwater. People that only respond with one or two words in a message. People that think because they have a little patch of itchy skin they are experts on eczema. The last one make me really think of morals lol.. >.>

Overly cold nights.

This 150 year old New England farm house leaks heat like a sieve. Last night it was -20o F and despite my getting up every several hours to add wood to the stove, the wife wore a ski mask to bed.

We can't but keep on gettin' on till we're gone

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Oh man, that's -28 Celsius! Where do you live?
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

New Hampshire

I'm sure it gets worse up where PW is.

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Yeah he gets a lot of snow in that part of New York, I think
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    This 150 year old New England farm house leaks heat like a sieve.
    If you haven't already, block all cracks under doors with rolled up blankets and cover the windows with curtains or clear plastic. I haven't seen -20 very often around these parts but it does happen once a decade or so.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    New Hampshire

I'm sure it gets worse up where PW is.
    Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    If you haven't already, block all cracks under doors with rolled up blankets and cover the windows with curtains or clear plastic. I haven't seen -20 very often around these parts but it does happen once a decade or so.
    You could try to insulate it with glass wool
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Okay Schrody is taking Banana donations

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I wondered what all the noise was about so came to investigate. It must have been all those gears grinding. Why is everything so unnecessarily mechanised nowadays? That gets my goat.

We've just bought a new TV and can talk to it. We tell it what we want it to do and it talks back. Usually it says "I don't understand what you said." In the old days TVs could do that without bragging about their incompetence. So taken along with computers programmed to assume that they know better than their users, what grinds my goat is technology in general that assumes that the person using it is in the wrong. As an IT man I've had to rescue a lot of people from nervous breakdowns because their technology made them feel inferior just by being more stubborn than them.

Yes, "thinking out of the box" is damned dangerous. My thinking out of the box earned me weeks in mental hospital because I couldn't find my way back. "Lateral thinking" can derail you as well. Nowadays I've seen the dark recesses of unreality so often that I can usually find my way back. So, people who suggest doing it to innocents without warning them of the dangers also grind my goat.

Regarding string and quantum theories, scientists who think that they've solved it all also mince my mammal. Apparently they still haven't found most of the universe but are confident that they'll know it when they see it. Isn't that like - faith or - religion even?

People who persecute invisible pink unicorns should be gored by my goat, who may well be one. However, I once wrote a piece that proved that scientists are themselves invisible pink unicorns, so maybe I'll need to be selective about that one.

Religious people who think that scientists have it all wrong get me gunning. It's a big universe, mostly missing so far apparently, so there's room for everyone of every denomination.

But most of all what really grinds me down is brilliant writers who can put their ideas across so succinctly while I sit and type all this drivel. You know who you are and I hate you, hate you, hate you! But maybe given time ...
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.