Getting old sucks - Page 6

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting old sucks

I should feel lucky. January 1st, I'll be 71. It's true, I no longer have a prostate, but then i beat cancer. I tend to pee on myself at times, but the urge always wakes me up (even it it's a couple of times at night). I tend to have a sore back if I don't pick up things carefully, but I can still dig a post hole. I've had a couple of car accidents (one shattered my windshield), but at least i can still drive. My wife gripes at me a lot because I'm lazy and sloppy, but she still says she loves me (a miracle). I have sore feet, but I can still walk the dog. I don't like yard work, but at least I have a yard. I may live in a broken down mobile home, but it's paid for.

Yeah, I'm lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    I should feel lucky. January 1st, I'll be 71. It's true, I no longer have a prostate, but then i beat cancer. I tend to pee on myself at times, but the urge always wakes me up (even it it's a couple of times at night). I tend to have a sore back if I don't pick up things carefully, but I can still dig a post hole. I've had a couple of car accidents (one shattered my windshield), but at least i can still drive. My wife gripes at me a lot because I'm lazy and sloppy, but she still says she loves me (a miracle). I have sore feet, but I can still walk the dog. I don't like yard work, but at least I have a yard. I may live in a broken down mobile home, but it's paid for.

Yeah, I'm lucky.
    Wow, that's tough. I personally believe it's important to keep up the positive spirit and go on (it's easy for me to say) We're here for you!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

midnightpoet

Recognizing what's of value in life helps greatly towards a measure of serenity — which as I've said before is the only real treasure at rainbow's end.

Best wishes

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Yeah, I'm lucky.

My mom just turned 72. She survived cancer, but she doesn't get around like she used to. She has lost some of her independence too.

So hang in there Midnight. Like Schrods says we're all here for you
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Honoured/Sadly Missed Courtjester's Avatar

Yeah, I'm lucky.
    Count your garden by the flowers,
    Never by the leaves that fall.
    Count your joys by golden hours,
    Never when life’s worries call.

Count your days by smiles, not tears,
    And when birthdays come around,
    Count your age by friends, not years,
    And the gifts of love you have found.

Cj

[CENTER][B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]Even though the darkest clouds are in the sky,
    You mustn’t sigh and you mustn’t cry.
    Spread a little happiness, as you go by.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Times New Roman]O:)[/FONT][/I][/B]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Blog Entries
    Getting old is the measure of a person.

Before adulthood we want to be old, wanting all the rights and privileges there of. As we get into adulthood we scamper about trying to do as much as we can. By 30 we have not slowed down, but have become tolerant of what we are unable to do. At the age of 50 we decide to slow down, for what we did in early adulthood has given us aches and pains. From that time on we wish we were back in early adulthood so we could do things differently, so the life we lead now would be better. Quite often we try to do the things we did as a young adult, only to realize that what we did then has made it impossible to do now, though our minds are of the opinion that nothing has changed. Until that moment we look in the mirror and ask ourselves, who that old person is. Yes getting old sucks. But what fun we had getting there.
    My friends and family call me Bill, you may also.Hidden Content

When people meet people,
    Potential Strangers, Acquaintances, Friends.

When dogs meet people,
    Potential Friends, Acquaintances, Strangers.

I would rather be the Dog.

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

A word without thought can destroy.
    Please remember to think before you speak.

If I'm contradicted, I just don't bother to argue the difference,I find it soooo much easier.

Yeah I had to respond to this thread. No matter what inspirational verse it still boils down to "Getting Old Sucks". And in your head you still feel basically 25. It's watching people around you age, that's one of the hardest things. It's having parts of you hurt and creak that you just took for granted all these years...like teeth gahhhh! It's watching your life partner growing slowly crippled and knowing you meant "in sickness and in health"...but holy cannoli it's like a boulder coming at you.

But you still find gallows humor...in everything...I'm starting to talk like Lewis Black fur criminy's sake. That your kid is special needs, that two of your kids are gone for good...gallows humor-you know the female French terrorist they're looking for? Looks like my Alex...You have to find the most absurd things and laugh at them somehow. The world doesn't make sense, and the older you are the more you realize.

A few days ago ... I think ... anyway, I went to have the CT scans for my back. A very pretty young girl calls me to follow her.

'Ah,' I think, 'they have a cadet to do the collecting of patients.' She tells me her name (now forgotten, but I remember it was a nice name and not one of the fancy or quirky one that turn up these days) and that she is the radiologist.

I hid my surprise well, and managed to not blurt out, 'you're not in high school?'

My doctors are right, I'm getting old before my time.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Yes it does!! Turned 40 yesterday...sob!