Getting old sucks - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting old sucks

OMG, this sounds like about 60% of my conversations these days, whether they are about movies or not. We used to tease my grandmother unmercifully when she'd go through all of her kids names every time she addressed them. If it was one of her daughters she'd say, "Gayle, Joanne, Juanita, I mean Mary." If it was the guys she'd say, "Roy, Ed, James, I mean Billy."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Swayze... the guy from... oh, what was that movie, had a bunch of dancing, and that actress that got the nose-job and now no one can recognize her. You know that actress, uhhh.. what's her name, the one that one that was in...oh crap... you like that movie, too. It had the actor that was in... uhmm... okay, he was in that other one with... oh man... never mind. I'll just tell you later... if I remember.

I just had a really scary thought. It gets worse. My mom is passed away now, but she retired to Carrabelle, Florida to live with her sister on the beach. I'd go down at Thanksgiving, and we'd be sitting on the screened porch eating our Thanksgiving feast (which had evolved to a low country boil sort of thing once they moved to the beach), and they would have these long conversations with each other. Except neither one of them could hear very well. So they were two DIFFERENT conversations altogether. But it never slowed them down at all. A made up example to give you the general idea:

Joanne: Yeah she used to date that boy, Bob was his name.

Juanita: I don't think she hated him, She hated Hank though.

Joanne: He ended up marrying the girl from town.

Juanita: No, Hank got killed in the a car wreck.

Joanne: Car wreck? Oh no, I just saw them five years ago when I went back for Henry's funeral. Let me go call Alice and tell her Bob's dead.

That reminds me of my great-grandmother when I was a kid. She had something of a hearing problem. Usually you would ask her something and my Great-Grandfather would have to repeat what you just said in a loud voice "HE SAID...!" It seemed to work well.

Of course if you said something she really didn't like, her deafness had a mysterious way of being temporarily cured if you know what I mean
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I don't understand... had my son google Swayzee and this is what he came up with.... not how I remember him looking ... too young. That's him, he says.

Welcome all to the 'Golden Ponders'.

Qualification. At some time in the last week you have stood in front of the fridge with your hand on the handle pondering what am I here for and why am I wearing a beret? Am I French?

I definitely qualify. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post

Qualification. At some time in the last week you have stood in front of the fridge with your hand on the handle pondering what am I here for and why am I wearing a beret? Am I French?

Getting Old Sucks - and the alternative ain't no cold dish of peaches and cream, either.
    I'm hungry - I think. Did I come here for peaches? Maybe some of that potato salad. No, it was ... where are my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post

No, but I have stood in front of an open fridge looking for the cup of coffee I was reheating in the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Seedy M. View Post
    Getting Old Sucks - and the alternative ain't no cold dish of peaches and cream, either.
    I'm hungry - I think. Did I come here for peaches? Maybe some of that potato salad. No, it was ... where are my glasses?

Famous quote from Citizen Kane; Old Age. It's the only disease you don't look forward of being cured of.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Loss of hearing isn't necessarily an age thing either. I lost the upper range of my hearing in the early 60s, and refusing a hearing aid all these years has benefited my marriage

One thing changes with age though, and that is that the chase reverses (if a man is na´ve enough to believe he was ever the pursuer that is). I think I've mentioned this before, but a while back I was in the grocery store at the yogurt display. An older woman there said to me "I'd do anything for key-lime." Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a younger woman smile broadly.

"A man is as old as the woman he feels." ~ Groucho Marx

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast