Gods in the Machine (Interest Check) - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gods in the Machine (Interest Check)

Quote Originally Posted by KnightPlutonian View Post
    I changed up a bit of my character app along with your instructions, Nox. You're right, I basically meant light manipulation/photokinetic constructs, but photokinesis sounds so much fancier, so I stuck with that. I also removed most of the cyberpunk-esque bits from the augmentations, so now he just has the tattoos that help control his ability.

As for TheTachyon, I'll see if he can play but even though we're both pretty busy with school, he got the short stick. He apparently has an outline for a full-length movie due in his Screenwriting class so he might be bogged down until around the end of the fall term. I'll still try and beat him into making a character for this, though.

Also, Deafmute, did you mean for your character to have the same name as the protagonist from Catcher in the Rye? I thought it was pretty funny.
    sounds good, shoot it to me in a PM or post it here so I can look at it

don't pressure him if he's otherwise busy, having more players doesn't do much if we get caught up waiting for someone, yea know?

I'm pretty sure sure, his avitar being "the laughing man", that he is more than aware XD

- - - Updated - - -

Mistique, welcome to the party. You should try the Kool-Aid,I heard it’s really good...

The couple things, mostly with her ability:

Instant healing - This could become a problem in game, as it takes away anyconcern (and drama!) when in battle and could permanently removes the option touse mortal injury as a plot device for the GM. Another flaw is her having touse eye contact to pass it, but that she is unable to move and violently sickwhen she takes a person’s injury/sickness away. That means she’ll be stuckwaiting for a bad guy to come along and make the mistake of looking into hereyes instead of just shooting her XD

The taking and transferring sickness/wounds can work, butin conjunction with seeing and manipulating auras starts to become convoluted. Sothree options:
    -healing transference without auras; your character canheal using their own energy and drain other people of energy causing theirwounds to become much worse/your character can take injury but will besick/hurt depending on the type and can pass it on to someone else.
    -healing without transference but with auras; your charactercan see and read auras and use them to heal
    -aura manipulation/reading without healing; yourcharacter can see auras (think primarily emotional effected by physicalwell-being) and manipulate them, possibly having some control over theiremotions and to a lesser extent easing their pain if they’re wounded.

I would drop the color coordination thing entirely whicheverway you go though, it seems a bit silly to me, like should this ability ever bereal it wouldn’t work like that

And one last thing- a robe? In this day and age? She's more likely to drawattention than anything that way. Try to imagine walking around on the streetsin something like that, people would look at you as if you were nuts. Evenworse is that this is supposed to be something of a black-ops type group.

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

[Hidden Content ] - Always appreciative of a critique.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightPlutonian View Post
    I changed up a bit of my character app along with your instructions, Nox. You're right, I basically meant light manipulation/photokinetic constructs, but photokinesis sounds so much fancier, so I stuck with that. I also removed most of the cyberpunk-esque bits from the augmentations, so now he just has the tattoos that help control his ability.

As for TheTachyon, I'll see if he can play but even though we're both pretty busy with school, he got the short stick. He apparently has an outline for a full-length movie due in his Screenwriting class so he might be bogged down until around the end of the fall term. I'll still try and beat him into making a character for this, though.

Also, Deafmute, did you mean for your character to have the same name as the protagonist from Catcher in the Rye? I thought it was pretty funny.
    lol you caught me. That is where my screen name comes from. always loved that line.
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxicity View Post
    sounds good, shoot it to me in a PM or post it here so I can look at it

don't pressure him if he's otherwise busy, having more players doesn't do much if we get caught up waiting for someone, yea know?

I'm pretty sure sure, his avitar being "the laughing man", that he is more than aware XD

- - - Updated - - -

Mistique, welcome to the party. You should try the Kool-Aid,I heard it’s really good...

The couple things, mostly with her ability:

Instant healing - This could become a problem in game, as it takes away anyconcern (and drama!) when in battle and could permanently removes the option touse mortal injury as a plot device for the GM. Another flaw is her having touse eye contact to pass it, but that she is unable to move and violently sickwhen she takes a person’s injury/sickness away. That means she’ll be stuckwaiting for a bad guy to come along and make the mistake of looking into hereyes instead of just shooting her XD

The taking and transferring sickness/wounds can work, butin conjunction with seeing and manipulating auras starts to become convoluted. Sothree options:
    -healing transference without auras; your character canheal using their own energy and drain other people of energy causing theirwounds to become much worse/your character can take injury but will besick/hurt depending on the type and can pass it on to someone else.
    -healing without transference but with auras; your charactercan see and read auras and use them to heal
    -aura manipulation/reading without healing; yourcharacter can see auras (think primarily emotional effected by physicalwell-being) and manipulate them, possibly having some control over theiremotions and to a lesser extent easing their pain if they’re wounded.

I would drop the color coordination thing entirely whicheverway you go though, it seems a bit silly to me, like should this ability ever bereal it wouldn’t work like that

And one last thing- a robe? In this day and age? She's more likely to drawattention than anything that way. Try to imagine walking around on the streetsin something like that, people would look at you as if you were nuts. Evenworse is that this is supposed to be something of a black-ops type group.
    I am going to be honest here since I think that is usually the most effective. I didn’t particularly appreciate your comments much. It’s not that I can’t handle critique, but perhaps you should allow others to have a little bit of an imagination of their own. I would also refrain from referring to something someone else came up with as ‘silly’ as people don’t tend to like that much. I certainly don't.
    Last edited by Mistique; December 1st, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
    I long for the day when MS stands for mystery solved!

Hey everyone. Mind if I join?

I am not very familiar with RPG's, though I've been writing fiction for years. I don't fully grasp the rules of things, though, but I'll try my best to learn.

Player Name: Kyle

Character Name:
    Cyan

Code Name:
    None

Specialization:
    Reconnaissance

Abilities:
    Telepathy. Able to hear thoughts and feel the sensations of others. Able to project his own thoughts and sensations onto others.

Unable to "read" minds, though—no scanning someone's memory. Only able to sense or project thoughts/sensations as they happen.

Proximity must be within speaking distance. As distance increases (shouting distance, for example) the ability decreases in effect.

Augmentations: None

Physical Description: Cyan gets his name from his blue-green tinted skin. Medium-length straight black hair, messy. Green irises. Favorite attire is ripped jeans, a black tee shirt, a brown leather jacket, and black leather boots. Athletic build.

Psyche Profile: Cyan has problems with authority, as well as trust issues. He prefers to get the job done as quickly as possible, then go off on his own. Prefers to work (and be) alone.

History: Cyan worked in an ice plant, as the cold temperature gave him an excuse to wear clothing that covered him from head to toe.

His sister, Tammi, was a geneticist who used public funding to search for a cure for her brother's skin condition. Anti-mutant protestors bullied Tammi, attempting to get her to stop her research, but she was not one to be intimidated.

Working late one night, masked protestors, attempting to scare Tammi, shoved her down a stairwell. Tammi hit her head on a concrete step, and the attackers fled.

Cyan found her and attempted to revive her. She died in his arms from TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). A janitor arrived, called the police, and Cyan fled when they arrived, taking a blood-stained pen from the floor—something he'd given Tammi as a gift.

Now Cyan harbors an obsession with finding his sister's killers. He simultaneously treasures and abhors the pen, as the dried blood on it is the only physical thing remaining of her.

He accepts odd criminal jobs in order to feed himself and keep clothed. When not working, Cyan is working out, training his body for the inevitable encounter he plans to have with his sister's assailants. When not working out, he's squatting somewhere for the night, or searching for his next clue.

DEM Status:
    Last edited by Kyle R; December 2nd, 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistique View Post
    I am going to be honest here since I think that is usually the most effective. I didn’t particularly appreciate your comments much. It’s not that I can’t handle critique, but perhaps you should allow others to have a little bit of an imagination of their own. I would also refrain from referring to something someone else came up with as ‘silly’ as people don’t tend to like that much. I certainly don't.
    I'm sorry that you don't agree with my suggestions and if you were offended by them then I apologize, but I'll be honest myself, your character application wasn't very good and it needed a lot of work before I'd accept it. This may come off as harsh, but I've been doing this for a long time and I have a lot of experience in running online RPGs. Those suggestions aren't about stifling your creativity so much as helping you adjust your character to what will work for this RP. I'd rather be up front and honest about what doesn't work or what will cause complications then let it slow down or ruin a good game later on.

That said, you're still more than welcome to join provided your character works with the game, though I can't, with any amount of sincerity, take back the comment about color coding auras to injuries regardless of how you feel about it.

Hey everyone. Mind if I join?

I am not very familiar with RPG's, though I've been writing fiction for years. I don't fully grasp the rules of things, though, but I'll try my best to learn.
    You're in, character sheet looks fine

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

I'm sorry that you don't agree with my suggestions and if you were offended by them then I apologize, but I'll be honest myself, your character application wasn't very good and it needed a lot of work before I'd accept it. This may come off as harsh, but I've been doing this for a long time and I have a lot of experience in running online RPGs. Those suggestions aren't about stifling your creativity so much as helping you adjust your character to what will work for this RP. I'd rather be up front and honest about what doesn't work or what will cause complications then let it slow down or ruin a good game later on.

That said, you're still more than welcome to join provided your character works with the game, though I can't, with any amount of sincerity, take back the comment about color coding auras to injuries regardless of how you feel about it.
    You say it is about helping me adjust my character to what wil work for this rpg, but you were far from clear about what this rpg is about. When its that vague people will adjust it to whatever fits their own imagination and then it doesn't tend to fit with what you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistique View Post
    You say it is about helping me adjust my character to what wil work for this rpg, but you were far from clear about what this rpg is about. When its that vague people will adjust it to whatever fits their own imagination and then it doesn't tend to fit with what you have in mind.
    True as that may be, many of the things that needed fixing in your character app would have needed fixing regardless of the RPG. The problems I pointed out with yours weren't like the one I had pointed out with DM's (the mutation being something imparted by a third source rather than inherit), they would have been brought up regardless of the game settings.

Still, I will be writing up a basic beginning synopsis now that we have an enough applicants which will hopefully help those interested in joining later on.

True as that may be, many of the things that needed fixing in your character app would have needed fixing regardless of the RPG. The problems I pointed out with yours weren't like the one I had pointed out with DM's (the mutation being something imparted by a third source rather than inherit), they would have been brought up regardless of the game settings.

Still, I will be writing up a basic beginning synopsis now that we have an enough applicants which will hopefully help those interested in joining later on.
    You seem to be so absolutely convised that your point of view is the only right one. I have different ideas about those things that you feel needed fixing. Like you I have a lot of experience with RPG and when I used this character with this profile before it worked really well. It was also in a xmen related rpg with an elite group of agents fighting together. So the similarities made me thing that it might work again. I am never the one who causes complication, slows down or ruins a good game. I am usually the one who will move heaven and earth to keep it alive and who makes sure that it stays enjoyable for all those who are in it. Maybe this is not a case of you being right and me being wrong, but perhaps more likely we just think differently. However since you do seem to be deadset in your believe that you have the only truth and this is your rpg I am going to back out now. I hope this rpg will be amazing and that it will be everything you want it to be.

As I am the GM only I would know what's going to work for the game I'm running, no?

I'm glad you've used her before and it went went fine, but that game isn't this game and the GM isn't me. My standards are probably a little different and if it doesn't work for you then yes, it probably would be for the best that you back out.

Thank you for kind words, I hope your other RPs work out as well.