Gods in the Machine (Interest Check) - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gods in the Machine (Interest Check)

Quote Originally Posted by Deafmute View Post
    No it is the result of the program, I just like that better than having them appear out of no where.
    The setting of the game allows for these abilities to be inherent, exceptions to this should be run by the GM first as you'd be altering the framework of the game itself to suit your wants.

As is, I'm not sure I want to include a program that is giving students abilities like these quite yet. While I'm not adverse to the idea (it'd make for a great plot line later), I'd rather keep it simple right now.

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

[Hidden Content ] - Always appreciative of a critique.

That's fine then, the actual powers can just be inherent.
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafmute View Post
    That's fine then, the actual powers can just be inherent.
    You have given me an idea though, let me finish up what I'm doing and I'll shoot you a PM so we can discuss it properly

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

I actually had a great character for another RPG that kinda died out, so I did a little alteration and am going to be using him here. Hope it's okay!

-K====>

---Character App---

Character Name
    : Luke Seren

Code Name: Uriel

Specialization: He’s a major hand-to-hand combat guy, but has basic training with handguns and small arms.

Abilities: Photokinesis, through manifestation. As explained one way, it’s like having a tub full of Play-Doh (or Blue-Tac or something depending on where you live) you can control with your mind, it just happens to be photons instead. Make it hard and sharp for usage as a knife, or soft and gentle to protect against a fall. He only has about as much as his body mass to use, which increases or decreases based on the density. Using his ability doesn't take any physical toll, so he can use it as long as he likes, but his creations always have to be connected to him in some manner, otherwise they just turn back into normal photons and fade away. If this happens, Luke loses the amount of light severed and must recharge via a light source, either from the sun, or by absorbing it from a flashlight or something, draining the energy as if the object was in use.

Augmentations: A net of cybernetic tattoos that criss-cross his body and help him focus his Ability.

Physical Description: Blonde, medium-length hair, blue eyes, quite tanned, very attractive. He could be the perfect representation of a stereotypical surfer. He’s decently muscled, but not to an overly built degree. He wears plain white shirts and jeans accompanying light hiking boots. He has a tattoo on the palms of both hands about the size of a watch face of a ring around a penny-sized dot from which his “light” is released. Placed in equal spacing around the circle are eight tendrils, each ending in points, so that the tattoo looks a little like miniature sun. The tattoos are connected to his network of tattoos, one of the release points for his Ability. Other, similarly shaped release points are also located symmetrically on his back, near the shoulder blades, his elbows, knees, and feet.

Psyche Profile: A light-hearted person, not afraid of poking fun at even those who don’t or no longer appreciate it. He keeps his head above the mess, and will make his best, funniest jokes in the darkest of situations and places, just to keep up the mood. He fights quite light-heartedly as well, making jokes even in the midst of a battle. He is a good combatant but prefers to dodge around blows and take quick, crippling jabs instead of a frontal, more strength-based approach.

History: Luke was found on the steps of an orphanage as a baby, with a single card placed in his basket with his name and nothing else. It was at the orphanage that his Ability first manifested, wreaking havoc whenever it manifested. At the age of six he was adopted by a set of government-funded parents who recognized his Ability’s potential. They gave him his tattoos and trained him in how to control his Ability, homeschooled in a curriculum of both physical and Ability-intensive combat in addition to his normal studies.

After he completed his high school-level courses, they led him to a government-funded university that gave him the same, albeit harder, training. He spent his time there studying strategy and intelligence and at the young age of twenty was recruited by agents for a team for the “gifted”.

DEM Status: Blank-ish
    Last edited by KnightPlutonian; December 1st, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
    Every atom in your body was forged in a star. Act like it.

"No one fears the wolf because he has sharp teeth. They fear him because he uses them." -TheTachyon

UPDATE:

Guidelines and Expectations: Please take a look at the General RPG Guide pinned to the RPG sub-forum as many of those rules apply. Any rules listed here however, supersede them.

1. The GM’s word is law. When running this I am making decisions based on what’s best for the RP over all, not to cater to what specific players want. If you have a suggestion, by all means, bring it up. If it works within the frame of the game I will work it in, but don’t get butt-hurt if I reject something or ask for something to be changed to better suit the RP.
    2. Post often. I don’t expect a post every day; I know that real life comes first and that things happen. That said more than a few days shouldn’t go by without a post from you once it is your turn. If something comes up and you can’t post, a simple message saying so along with an estimate for when you should be able to resume would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that your character may be moved by the GM to allow other players to continue on, especially if you’re gone for more than a week, and that if it happens to often you may be asked to step out entirely. If the GM cannot get ahold of you your charcter will be "dropped" (read: brutally murdered in game).
    3. Make those posts worth our time. I’m not asking for a short story’s worth of writing in a single post here; a paragraph or two will do fine as long as it addresses the actions and words of other characters and allows for response from them.
    4. Keep your filthy mitts off of other peoples characters! (GM not included) You control your character and ONLY your character. If the other player didn’t include an action or dialogue in their post, your character shouldn’t be responding to it. Do not put words in their mouths or move them to suit your needs. If they didn’t write it, their character didn’t do it.
    5. Don’t play god and manipulate the world itself. This is the GM’s job. Your posts are limited to what your character does and says, excluding nameless/faceless NPC’s that are not essential to the plot (such as a waitress, taxi-driver, or pedestrian).

Example: John paused as the waitress for their table came back with their drinks, offering him a smile as she placed a glass in front of each of them before retreating back into the kitchen. Once she was safely out of earshot he resumed speaking. “Do you really think he’ll take a shot at the vice-president in the middle of a heavily guarded press briefing?”

This is okay. The waitress only serves as a background for the setting and isn’t directly involved with the plot or change it in any major way, nor does she have active dialogue or a name. What wouldn’t be okay is something like this:

John paused as the waitress for their table came back with their drinks, offering him a smile before suddenly dropping the drink and ripping open her shirt to reveal the explosives strapped to her chest. “Mr. Kunami sends his regards!” She shrieked while a chorus of alarmed yells and screams filled the diner.

This is NOT okay. The waitress is no longer a passive background character. She has active dialogue and is acting in a way to drastically alter the setting. This type of event/character should only ever be introduced by the GM unless worked out in advance at their discretion. Otherwise, plot-essential NPC’s will always be labeled with an * and played by the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxicity View Post
    You have given me an idea though, let me finish up what I'm doing and I'll shoot you a PM so we can discuss it properly
    sounds good
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxicity View Post
    UPDATE:

Guidelines and Expectations: Please take a look at the General RPG Guild

Blah Blah Blah

3. Make those posts worth our time. I’m not asking for a short story’s worth of writing in a single post here; a paragraph or two will do fine as long as it addresses the actions and words of other characters and allows for response from them.

Blah Blah Blah
    So is this a limit to the amount of words we have here? I tend to do mini-chapters, and I do love them so.

​-K====>
    Every atom in your body was forged in a star. Act like it.

"No one fears the wolf because he has sharp teeth. They fear him because he uses them." -TheTachyon

Knight:

I think your explantion of photokenisis is a little confusing for what is essentially light manipulation, if I know my superpowers. It is also a bit broad.

While comic book characters abilities are extremely versitile (often time nauseatingly so) for the purposes of a game like this its better to simplify and specialize in one aspect of an ability: using that abilitity to create a hard, usable object (more or less light solidification) or using it in another way. (this or that, not this and that)

If he can create a simple, usable weapon with light, he shouldn't also be able to us it to float, use it to make illusions, use it to turn invisible, ect. Long story short - KiSS (keep it simple stupid)

I would suggest keeping the focus on basic photokinetic constructs as it is easier to define, describe, and play, as well as put some more thought into the physical attributes of the constructs and the specifics of how his ability works (how hard is the material in comparison to other substances, how long is he able to maintain them for, how quickly can he create them, how large can they be ect.)

You augmentation segment also needs to be scaled down a little as it's a bit much for a near-future setting. (KiSS also applies here ;D )

Quote Originally Posted by KnightPlutonian View Post
    So is this a limit to the amount of words we have here? I tend to do mini-chapters, and I do love them so.

​-K====>
    Not a limit per se, but you should take into account that the other player needs to be able to respond and effect the course of dialogue as well.

For example, two characters are waiting in line for coffee. Player A's character gets his coffee, comments on how bland said coffee is, hints that he thinks the girl behind the counter is cute, directs the conversation to the upcoming mission they are both tasked for, walks out of the coffee shop and down the street while still talking about his concerns about the mission, waves hi to another player C's character who is waiting for the GM's NPC post, and then takes a seat on a bench in a very serene park where he had his first kiss, which he then talks about. And all of this without any input from poor player B.

In going so far out you steam roll other players and make it almost impossible for them to have a say in the direction your character's interactions. Long, thorough posts are nice but need to maintain their flexibility to allow for what other players want as well.

Hopefully I explained that well?

Hopefully I haven't lost you guys yet, Deafmute, KP, y'all still in?