A new Challenge I have undertaken.

Thread: A new Challenge I have undertaken.

Blog Entries

A new Challenge I have undertaken.

Hi everyone.

As some of you know I have busy hands and a wandering mind. Through my threads throughout the forums you have seen my different attempts at writing and wood carving and even some wire twisting.

Well now I have taken up another wood project. I am attempting a hard wood carving in Madrone. I will attempt to post pics often as I go along. I will not say what it is supposed to be because I think you all can guess when you see the pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madrone Wolf 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	6875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madrone Wolf 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	6876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madrone Wolf 3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	6877
    My friends and family call me Bill, you may also.Hidden Content

When people meet people,
    Potential Strangers, Acquaintances, Friends.

When dogs meet people,
    Potential Friends, Acquaintances, Strangers.

I would rather be the Dog.

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

A word without thought can destroy.
    Please remember to think before you speak.

Rather than guess, I'll just look in and see how it all develops. Who knows? It might just spur me to get back to some shelved projects.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

I think I can definitely guess from what you've named the jpgs! Awesome skill that... I very much admire woodcraft. We have a woodfair near me once a year and all the chainsaw carvers from around the country come and show off... it's the new rock and roll!
    “Be happy with what you have and are, be generous with both, and you won't have to hunt for happiness.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargh View Post
    I think I can definitely guess from what you've named the jpgs! Awesome skill that... I very much admire woodcraft. We have a woodfair near me once a year and all the chainsaw carvers from around the country come and show off... it's the new rock and roll!
    I did not know the names went through with the pics.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have left the numbers the camera gave them.

- - - Updated - - -

I only wish I could afford the nice tools for mass removal of unwanted material. Madrone is some hard wood, and the tools I have are not too user friendly.

When people meet people,

When dogs meet people,

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

Good luck! And of course dont hurt yourself!! Can't wait to see the finished project.
    Just another person trying to make her mark on the world. Everyone has something to say. I hope someday mine might be heard. I am looking for people who are like me.
    "I hope your bacon burns," -- Calcifer Howl's Moveing Castle Diana Wynne Jones

Quote Originally Posted by W.Goepner View Post
    I did not know the names went through with the pics.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have left the numbers the camera gave them.

- - - Updated - - -

I only wish I could afford the nice tools for mass removal of unwanted material. Madrone is some hard wood, and the tools I have are not too user friendly.
    I only noticed because my cursor was in the middle of the screen and over the pic.

I looked into the chainsaw carving myself -- I had someone prepared to teach as long as I had my own gear -- but it was the cost of the safety courses and PPE that put me off more than that of the chainsaw itself. Such a racket!

Madrone's not a wood I know. It looks beautiful though... reckon the hardwood will be worth the effort for the finished effect.
    “Be happy with what you have and are, be generous with both, and you won't have to hunt for happiness.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargh View Post
    I only noticed because my cursor was in the middle of the screen and over the pic.

I looked into the chainsaw carving myself -- I had someone prepared to teach as long as I had my own gear -- but it was the cost of the safety courses and PPE that put me off more than that of the chainsaw itself. Such a racket!

Madrone's not a wood I know. It looks beautiful though... reckon the hardwood will be worth the effort for the finished effect.
    Madrone is a slow growing smooth bark tree until it reaches a certain growth. Then the bark becomes rough like an oak.

The greener the wood the lighter and softer it is. I have some walking staves I have cleaned up and the wood is almost white with a blue tent under it almost like a bruise.

This year while out gathering firewood I came across some branches that had vines wrapped around them. They were buried in the piles of logs and debris from a thinning cut of some forest land.

I will have to post a pic or two of them.

When people meet people,

When dogs meet people,

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

Blog Entries
    I was going to guess penguin until the names popped up for me as well XD

I used to love going into my shed and ' pottering.' and trying to make things, but we had some very strong winds a few months back and my shed is now listing like the Titanic. The roof is leaking and all my tools are stored in a friends garage.