Indispensable Discussion (Apply Here!) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indispensable Discussion (Apply Here!)

Mistique, I love the change, connects the world well.

Deafmute, I'm not a huge fan of multiple characters, seeing as it can sometimes muddy the water. I'm going to give the okay, but as of now we'll have a limit of 2 characters per account.

Sorry for so much lag time between the Discussion thread being posted and the RPG thread. I am indeed working on some frame stories as well as my own character, but College Apps, as well as the fact that my teachers have decided that this week is test week for some arbitrary reason, have kept me pretty worked. A tentative deadline I'll set myself will be next Monday, so feel free to flog me if I miss my own imaginary deadline.
    "No one fears the wolf because he has sharp teeth. They fear him because he uses them." -Anonymous

That's fine it can be an issue sometimes, but honestly I have seen more issues from not having enough characters. Two people will start a dialogue and then not be able to post for a while and no one can do anything because half the group is tied up in an interaction that hasn't wrapped up yet. Multiple characters frees that up a bit. But 2 per person should be plenty for anyone interested in taking on multiple roles. I will probably post another character up tonight.
    Everyone's life is like a story. The problem is few people take the time to really understand their own story, much less bother to even read anyone else's.

So I was a day late, but I have managed to get the RPG thread online with basic stories for each of the factions. I also totally forgot about notifying you all so this is a day late too. Huh
    "No one fears the wolf because he has sharp teeth. They fear him because he uses them." -Anonymous

Name: Vladimir Volkov; nicknames include "Siberian Express", "The Terminator" and "Wolf".
    Corporation: Rheotron Research Inc.
    Appearance: 205 cm tall, muscular build. Square jaw, blue eyes, blonde flat-top. Left eye missing, replaced with an advanced cyber-implant, a prominent scar across the left of his face. Casually prefers military attire - combat boots, camo pants, leather jacket and a green headscarf. Prefers to wear sunglasses at all times to conceal his missing left eye. Prominent Russian military tattoos on back and both arms. Speaks with a Russian accent.
    Personality:
    Those who know Vladimir on a casual basis have often likened him to Russian winter - cold, quiet and deadly. Cold and detached, he rarely speaks, and is very blunt and to-the-point on the rare occasions when he does. Preferring to work alone, Vladimir favours a direct, straightforward approach at his job (which usually involves liberal amounts of physical violence). His brutish looks and direct, simplistic manner belies his more intelligent side - Vladimir holds serious interest in classical literature and poetry. Vladimir isn't very sociable and prefers solitude, never letting anyone close, but he does have a soft side as well - namely, his sister Natalya. His attitude towards life is best summed up in his own words - "Books and Natalya are the only two good things in my life".
    Gear/Weapons:
    Vladimir is proficient with all sorts of weapons, but prefers things brutal, up-close and personal. His preferred tools are a pair of trench knives combined with brass knuckles, modified Saiga-12 automatic shotgun with bayonet lug and Picatinny rails for various attachments (often including a grenade launcher), Desert Eagle pistol, stun grenades and a tomahawk. And obviously, his own mighty fists. Since his employers specialize in developing next-generation military tech, Vladimir has also been issued with a prototype ArmEx-5 powered exoskeleton for field testing, a device he finds most satisfactory since it considerably boosts his already formidable strength, allowing him to perform truly super-human feats on missions, such as single-handedly pushing over cars or firing heavy automatic weapons from hip.
    Backstory:
    Vladimir has a tough and checkered past. Born in Chelyabinsk, Russia, in a dysfunctional working-class family, Vladimir grew up mostly on the streets, mainly to avoid his abusive alcoholic father. At the age of 16, his father was murdered by his mother following a heated argument and a beating, things that were usual occurrences in their home. Vladimir and his younger sister Natalya were placed in the care of their grandmother. Their mother died soon thereafter in prison, while Vladimir was forced to leave school and work odd jobs to support his elderly grandmother and sister. He spent his spare hours training in kick-boxing at the local gym in hopes of becoming a professional athlete and being able to support what family he had left. Due to his physique, he did indeed show promise in sports. Due to being unable to earn enough, Vladimir would resort to occasional petty crime, such as extracting debts on behalf of the local gang. His luck ran out when he was arrested at the age of 19 following the theft of a fuel truck from a gas station, his accomplices framing him for the crime.

Fortunately, Vladimir was lucky to have a sympathetic judge on his trial, who took in account his young age, lack of previous criminal record and difficult family circumstances. He was pardoned on the condition that he enlist in the military for a duration of no less than 5 years - the prison term he would otherwise have had to serve.

Because of his fitness, Vladimir was assigned to serve in the VDV - Russian Airborne Troops. Although the training was tough, he was at least able to earn enough to send back home. After 2 years of service, his impressive strength and resilience attracted the attention of his superiors, who offered him a chance to join VDV's fighting elite - the 45th Guard Spetznaz Regiment. Since commando training would mean a better salary, Vladimir accepted.

In the middle of his grueling training, Vladimir received ill news - that his grandmother had died and his sister was placed in orphanage. This motivated him all the more to endure the hardships of training, so that he could finally have a stable well-paid job in the special forces and be able to take proper care of his sister.

After completing his training, Vladimir would serve with the Spetznaz for several years, obtaining legal guardianship over Natalya and later paying her tuition fees in Moscow University after she turned 18. During this time, he was deployed on numerous high-risk operations in Northern Caucasus, Central Asia and Ukraine. However, things took turn for the worse after most of his squad was slaughtered in an ambush by Chechen insurgents during an attempted raid on a terrorist safehouse, leaving Vladimir without his left eye and badly scarred. Unable to meet the strict health criteria of the Spetznaz with a missing eye, he was given a medical discharge and a very modest veteran pension.

Seeing how the Russian state ignored the plight of the veterans who had fought for it, Vladimir became disillusioned with the ruling regime. Lacking any skills besides military ones and also unable to find a proper job because of his disfigurement (positions of bodyguards and bouncers requiring a more publicly-presentable face), he would again contact his old acquaintances from the criminal underworld, this time for more serious jobs. While the Russian criminal world generally despises and distrusts former servicemen and government employees, their specific skillsets are nonetheless valued, Vladimir being hired as muscle by the local crime boss. He would work as his bodyguard and occasional hitman until a botched negotiation with a rival gang left his boss and a dozen other gangsters dead put the police on his trail. With the authorities breathing down his back, Vladimir had to flee the country, and eventually he ended up in United States.

Vladimir continued to work as a gun-for-hire for various organizations, which included taking several contracts with Rheotron Research. Impressed by his work, the company's security director would finally come up with an offer that Vladimir simply couldn't refuse.

CyberWar... Wow. App looks great, with a very deep and human character to boot. Get writing, you're set.

As to the rest of you, I apologize, I still don't have a character app up. I've been very, very deep in work, but I have made enough time to read what you guys have written. It looks great, keep going.

Name: Travis Hill

Corporation: Manson Materials

Appearance: A massive man, Travis stands at 6’6”. His frame is covered with muscle, not just for show but for use. He keeps his hair militarily short, his face clean-shaven, and his suits impeccable. He is only ever seen in one outfit: A jacket and pants pairing of void black, a shirt of blood red, and a tie of pure white.

Personality: Travis is strict and professional during his missions but is calm and warm outside of them. In missions he never allows his emotions to affect his plans, but even outside he never seems to show any anger or jealousy or envy at all, letting insults slide right off with a chuckle and letting drunken threats dissipate.

Gear/Weapons: Travis is familiar with nearly all types of guns, but prefers to use a specially silenced .50 cal Desert Eagle while in stealth missions and a regular version when in protection details. His trademark suit is reinforced to withstand up to heavy arms fire and extend protective fighting gauntlets and a protective helmet when prompted.

Backstory: Travis grew up on a military base in California with his mother and younger brother and sister. He and his brother were born only a year apart, while his sister was born nearly half a decade later. His father was a US Army Ranger on active duty, deployed throughout most of his childhood. Travis acted out on base, joining his brother in wreaking havoc around the house as children, then around the neighborhood as teens. It wasn’t until his father’s death in combat when he was 17 that Travis’ behavior changed drastically.

His father’s death had a profound impact on his family. His mother, who had dealt with Travis’ and his brother’s antics well enough, had a mental breakdown. Travis’ brother became involved in the criminal underworld and left the family. Travis was left to take care of his 8 year old sister and mother. He stopped pursuing criminal activities and took care of them as best he could until his mother had returned to her former self, then enrolled in a Ranger school, graduating at the top of his class. After several years of active duty, he was wounded in an attack on an overseas base, receiving a purple heart.

After getting back, Travis moved back in with his mother, whose health had begun to deteriorate. He put his sister through college with jobs on base, but after an illicit operation was discovered being run by his commanding officer (which he did not know of), he was dishonorably discharged. Travis spent the next few years working odd jobs and making just enough to keep himself and his mother alive and continue to pay for his sister’s education. He was almost driven into the criminal underworld during a particularly rough patch before being picked up by Manson Materials. He spent several years guarding one of the company’s higher-ups and was transferred to an Indispensable status when his protectee died of natural causes.

I've got a bit of a problem. The first post of my character was aimed at the character of Diatsu, but since he hasn't been around for a long time I am kinda stuck. I would like to continue posting, but I'm not sure how. Do you have any suggestions?
    I long for the day when MS stands for mystery solved!

I can think of a couple ways to proceed.

The first would be to maybe have his character give you a mission file or something like that, which has limited interaction for his character and allows you to keep the story moving without him doing too much and do a little exposition as well.

A second route would be to jump straight to Lillith on mission, separated from John or perhaps on another mission entirely. This would allow you to jump straight into the action, without any movement from Diatsu's character at all. If you choose to have Lillith be on the same mission as John, then if/when Diatsu gets back he can weave himself into the story.

I'll send Diatsu a PM telling him to get his rear in gear. Keep on writing.
    Last edited by TheTachyon; December 31st, 2014 at 09:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12