Do you have a top ten?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a top ten?

Do you have a top ten?

Greetings.

I thought we could start a thread where you can list your ten favorites of anything you want.

Basically use this thread to list your top ten of anything be it music, books, movies, what have you.

If you don't have atop ten, you can do a top five, or conversely, a top twenty or more.

List as many top tens as you want on as many posts as you need (long as you don't repeat of course)

I think knowing what others like is a way to know each other better, right?

Anyway, I'll start with my top ten musicians

1) The Beatles
    2) R.E.M.
    3) David Bowie
    4) The Kinks
    5) The Byrds
    6) Elvis Costello
    7) The Who
    8 The Rolling Stones
    9) The Doors
    10) The Velvet Underground

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Top Ten Music Artists (Not Bishop's list, this is OF ALL TIME):

10. Dick Dale
    9. Johnny Cash
    8. Joe Bonamassa
    7. Metal Church
    6. The Sword
    5. Judas Priest
    4. Metallica
    3. Black Sabbath
    2. Megadeth
    1. Iron Maiden

Honorable mention goes to The Who, who would be my #11.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

I... really can't post any top lists, there would be too many of them...

In music, I listen literally everything except country and heavy metal. Give me pop, rock, punk, ska, blues, jazz, dance, latino, give me Sinatra, Chris Rea and Dean Martin for that sentimental sound and I'm happy.

In literature give me anything science related, crime, Sci Fi, fantasy, comedy, now and then some love story. I don't read non fiction (pop science is something else).

In movies give me a psychological thriller, or just thriller, comedy, Sci Fi, action... Give me De Niro, Pacino, but give me Cary Grant and Paul Newman too. "Silence of the Lambs" is one of my favorite movies.

In writing, I find myself writing crime, Sci Fi, fantasy, comedy (do you see the pattern? ). Now you know everything!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

List as many as you want Schrods. That's how we get to know each other a little

My top ten movies

1 Citizen Kane
    2 Dr Strangelove
    3 Fargo
    4 Apocalypse Now
    5 Pulp Fiction
    6 The Blue Angel (Marlene Dietrich 1930)
    7 Sunset Boulevard
    8 Animal Crackers
    9 Lolita
    10 Once Upon a Time in the West

Honorable Mention: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

EDIT to Bish: Though not in top ten, really like Johnny Cash and Dick Dale as well
    Last edited by mrmustard615; October 27th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Top 10 Favorite Writers (fiction) and their book / series I like best

1. Tad Williams - Tailchases's Song, solo
    2. Evan Innes - America 2040, series
    3. Timothy Zahn - Star Wars - Thrawn trilogy
    4. Paul Genesse- The Iron Dragon Series
    5. Brad Thor - The Athena Project
    6. Sue Grafton - the Kinsey Millhone / alphabet series
    7. V.C. Andrews - My Sweet Audrina, solo & Dawn / Heaven, 2 series
    8. Debbie Macomber- I could never choose with book / series I like best
    9. Nora Roberts - The Irish Trilogy
    10. Linda Lael Miller - another one I couldn't chose among her books
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Films:

10. Man with the Golden Gun
    9. Blade Runner
    8. First Blood
    7. Apocalypse Now
    6. Star Trek: First Contact
    5. Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
    4. Alien
    3. The Thing
    2. Escape From L.A.
    1. Escape From New York

A very eclectic list, as I look at it. With many similar titles bunched together. And a dominating show from Mr. John Carpenter and Mr. Kurt Russell. Honestly, I just consider EfNY and EfLA to be the same movie, as the plots are near identical. One is just more of a thriller (NY) and the other is more of an action piece (LA). Like... shades of the same film in slightly differing genres. Either way, they're without a doubt the most I've ever enjoyed/watched a movie.

Shoutouts go to Empire Strikes Back, all of the other Rambo and Expendables films, and anything starring Arnold Schwarzenegger carrying large weapons.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

Top 10 books, I couldn't do. Too many vying for the middle and later slots, but I'd easily say my top five:

5. Pick any Asimov short story collection. Seriously. Any.
    4. Fahrenheit 451 -- Ray Bradbury
    3. Dune -- Frank Herbert
    2. Starship Troopers -- Robert A. Heinlein
    1. Planet of the Damned -- Harry Harrison (Very recently took the top slot; might be dethroned the more I think about it, but I really loved this book. Nothing special, just classic sci-fi fun).

we do have a lot in common MrM.

Would you believe, my second concert was 1977 (I was 15), at the Fabulous Fox. Headliner was the Kinks and the two opening bands were unknowns: Blondie & Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, (1978 they both hit big, Blondie with Heart of Glass & Tom Petty when Breakdown hit top 40 here in the US). Talk about AMAZING... I rushed to the nearest record store and bought my first Blondie & Tom Petty albums I always felt that my 'second' concert choice was enough to make up for my 'first' concert (The Osmonds...I was 12. LOL)

Anyway, I'll start with my top ten musicians

1) The Beatles
    2) R.E.M.
    3) David Bowie
    4) The Kinks
    5) The Byrds
    6) Elvis Costello
    7) The Who
    8 The Rolling Stones
    9) The Doors
    10) The Velvet Underground

Quote Originally Posted by TKent View Post
    I always felt that my 'second' concert choice was enough to make up for my 'first' concert (The Osmonds...I was 12. LOL)
    Don't worry. My wife, the punker girl in love with all things rebel rock from The Ramones to AFI? Her first concert was Aaron Carter. And she still hears about this from her husband EVERY time we go to a concert.

"So, babe, how did Iron Maiden compare to Aaron Carter?"

"Shut UP."

I will say, the greatest day in my life of experiencing music? September 08, 2013. Megadeth (my number 2 band) opened for Iron Maiden (the world's greatest band). Both artists played my favorite song by them, Megadeth with "Hangar 18" and Iron Maiden with "Moonchild".

Top ten books (a work still in progress

1. Crime and Punishment-Dostoevsky
    2. The Odyssey-Homer
    3. USA Trilogy-John Dos Passos
    4. The Trial-Franz Kafka
    5. Lolita-Vladimir Nabokov
    6. An American Tragedy- Theodore Dreiser
    7. The Divine Comedy-Dante
    8. Faust-Goethe
    9. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-James Joyce
    10. Maus- Art Spiegelman 9 Not really a book- in comic form but really fascinating

To Bish and TK, my favorite concert was my first, Frank Zappa at the Cap Center near DC in 1976

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast