Giving Reputation

Thread: Giving Reputation

Giving Reputation

Okay, so, I have a little "problem" here - sometimes, when I want to give a rep to someone it often says I can't give a rep to that particular member before I spread more reputation. One "solution" to this problem might be to bookmark that page where you found the post you liked, but seriously, who's gonna do that?

Now, I know that the reason for rep policy is probably so there wouldn't be abuse, or so we wouldn't give a rep to something that doesn't deserve a rep comment (then again, if we want to give a rep even for those posts, why wouldn't we?), or because someone could collect too many of rep too soon, but I would really like if you could consider a system where we can give rep to a particular member more times in the shorter period, so the rep power (i.e. ability to give a rep to anyone) wouldn't depend on how many rep we received, or giving it to the other member instead of that particular. I hope you catch my drift

Thanks!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

It is a good question Schrods. I'm pretty new to the whole thing myself and I wonder if it would be just easier to give rep points in general to the ones you feel like have helped you the most. There are two in particular I would love to give rep points to but where to find the appropriate post?
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I think it's mostly to keep it from being abused. Without that restriction, you and I could give each other rep over and over all day long and rule the world. Cran might be willing to increase the limit, I don't know.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    I think it's mostly to keep it from being abused. Without that restriction, you and I could give each other rep over and over all day long and rule the world. Cran might be willing to increase the limit, I don't know.
    Yeah, I get that, but why wouldn't (of course we won't, because the rep then wouldn't be a reward like it is now) we give rep in such manner if we want to? I mean, you're not getting anything with it, you won't be more respected or something just because you have a rep more or less. I hope you know what I mean. Lastly, I like to think I always have a good reason for giving rep to someone
    Je suis Charlie.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    Without that restriction, you and I could give each other rep over and over all day long and rule the world.

You have a good point. Let's do that.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Schrody View Post
    Yeah, I get that, but why wouldn't (of course we won't, because the rep then wouldn't be a reward like it is now) we give rep in such manner if we want to? I mean, you're not getting anything with it, you won't be more respected or something just because you have a rep more or less. I hope you know what I mean. Lastly, I like to think I always have a good reason for giving rep to someone
    If the person you're repping is not getting anything out of it, why not give them multiple likes instead? You can give someone as many likes as you want, provided it's for different posts, which is the same thing, minus the ability to leave comments, which you can do on the member's personal page anyway.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

As with all things in life, there is intent (from maybe differing objectives), relevance of use, and abuse.

I think what the site owner has in mind (assuming here), is some relevance to a member's quality of participation with the WF community overall. We all have preferences as to what we like to read/see, and who we might share a bit of perspective with. With a free-for-all reputation assignment system, I think you can see it would become meaningless.

The restrictions imposed are simply an attempt to keep it meaningful, in the sense of quality of participation with the WF community overall.

Just my two coppers,
    LeeC

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

my reputation here is dirt anyway, sweetheart. ha ha. this isn't high school, though. once you get past high school, reputation becomes stupid.
    you either are who you wanna be, or you aren't.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    If the person you're repping is not getting anything out of it, why not give them multiple likes instead? You can give someone as many likes as you want, provided it's for different posts, which is the same thing, minus the ability to leave comments, which you can do on the member's personal page anyway.
    I don't know, this way I would have to like posts I maybe don't even like, just because I can't give a rep, and let's face it: not every post deserve a like. And I didn't say a member doesn't get anything out of the reputation, only that it has no harm in giving an extra rep now and then, I mean, not like they would become Masters of the Universe. Or will they?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    As with all things in life, there is intent (from maybe differing objectives), relevance of use, and abuse.

I think what the site owner has in mind (assuming here), is some relevance to a member's quality of participation with the WF community overall. We all have preferences as to what we like to read/see, and who we might share a bit of perspective with. With a free-for-all reputation assignment system, I think you can see it would become meaningless.

The restrictions imposed are simply an attempt to keep it meaningful, in the sense of quality of participation with the WF community overall.

Just my two coppers,
    LeeC
    Of course Lee, and I agree. Not everybody would give rep for something meaningful, but why not stretching the number of given reputations to the same member?
    Je suis Charlie.

I suppose it's only small consolation that I had quartered the previous limits between rep gives to the same member? (it was 20; I dropped it to 5) -
    part of the reason for that is yes, to prevent the sort of online love-affair turned conspiracy that could develop between two members; the extension of that is to encourage keen rep givers to broaden their horizons, spread the love, play the field (so to speak), look for others as worthy of praise, etc.

Yes, I imagine it would be annoying to see a post deserving of a rep give, only to be told - "ya gone dun sweet-talked this member already, hon; come back later when the glow has worn off".

As Sam indicated, you can still give much the same effect with a Like and a Visitor Message or PM ... and you can still return to that post when the right amount of time (or rep gives to others) has passed. Whether you make a note of the post and where it is, or whether you consult your Thanks/Like list or Subscribed Threads, or Visitor Messages/PMs Sent, or hit the member's profile page and See Latest Posts (or Threads), or use the Search/Advanced Search, to track it down, there are always options.

Indeed, you could even do something like Piglet's Picks in the Lounge - have one thread to collect the best stand alone posts as quotes*; the ones you "woulda and shoulda if only ya coulda" rep'd. Give it a snappy title (eg, Schrody's Snaps!**) and a description of what should or shouldn't be added, and ... post away.

Then you'd have a single reference point for all of those posts that you wanted to give rep at the time, but had to wait.

*It's just a [Reply with Quote] copied&pasted into a different thread.

**Of course you saw Legally Blonde 2, right? "Snaps for the Senator!"
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.