Change of Writing Forums Design - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Change of Writing Forums Design

I kind of reminded about the working man's club I pop into occasionally. There's the same bunch of old farts sitting in the same seats, night after night 7 days a week, chewing over the same old fat and putting the world to rights while they sup their beer. I go there because some of them were in the same class in school. I like to talk about the past once in a while as well as the next old fogey with more years behind them than ahead. Because they are virtually fixtures of the place themselves they find no fault in their surroundings, which they must like or they would go elsewhere? A visitor may well see it all very differently.
    Last edited by Kepharel; September 18th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
    One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six." From A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepharel View Post
    A visitor may well see it all very differently.
    Yeah,
    i can see that, but i'm all for not fixing what isn't broken.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

While I was making the point about regular members becoming desensitised by their own familiarity with the site, there was another issue that prompted my post. There was more than a whiff of unhealthy disparagement in the umbrage taken by members towards a new, obviously young newcomer to this site. The ridicule wasn't a pleasant read I'm sorry to say.
    Last edited by Kepharel; September 18th, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
    One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six." From A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Bowman View Post
    Huh. Once again I got the message that my post won't be put up until reviewed by a mod.

Irritating.
    It happens in Feedback; it's the one board that's fully moderated and screened for personal or highly sensitive issues, serious complaints, and other stuff best vetted before going public.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

While I was making the point about regular members becoming desensitised by their own familiarity with the site, there was another issue that prompted my post. There was more than a whiff of unhealthy disparagement in the umbrage taken by members towards a new, obviously young newcomer to this site. The ridicule wasn't a pleasant read I'm sorry to say.
    I know, but people tend to defend what (or who) they love, sometimes not realizing they're doing it a little too hard.

Also, newcomer wasn't really polite, saying maybe you should this and that as a suggestion; I felt it more like ultimatum, he's coming on the forum for the first time, and his first reaction was (and I paraphrase):" This forum looks so old fashioned, the other forum I've been is so modern, change it, or I'll never come again". So you see, both of our reactions were maybe uncalled, but as kids usually say:"He started it!"
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Whiff? I hope my post #3 was a typhoon of disparagement howling around this little spammer/troll.

I suggest a plug-in or widget that makes everything I type look like it makes sense in the posts....ahhhhh that would take one damned good algorithm...

Normally I would agree .I also have a prospensity to defend those I think are attacked and I think Schrody was right. The OP was a bit threatening in his tone and I, like others, went about defending the forum itself.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I have nothing against change,and this forum has always encouraged a respectful exchange of different POV, I do have an issue with rude behavior, and I abhor the idea of someone running a hidden agenda, which I felt was going on, with the constant reference to the other forum. I may be wrong--but I don't think so. The other forum was mentioned at least 5 or 6 times, I found that strange....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Is it broken? No. Then don't fix it.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123