a further/farther rant - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a further/farther rant

well lol damn i was actually gonna edit my post and add that but it messed up on my ipad, deleted all of it.
    so now that post looks icky.

I actually wrote apocolypse for apocalypse in an exam question a while ago. I did well though, so presumably the rest of the work overcame my abberation. I sat there asking myself whether it should be "a" or "o". I used "o" but had a bad feeling about it. It was the first thing I checked when I got home.

The further my father pursued the theory the farther I got from understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
    The further my father pursued the theory the farther I got from understanding.
    Unless you can measure the exact distance you were from understanding, "further" is the word that should be used in the second half of the sentence.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

That "distance" and "concept" rule is one of many variations I've heard to distinguish between the two words, all of them kinda hazy and unclear. I invented a simple, clear rule to settle the matter in my mind.

Use "farther" when comparing two or more things.

The fangs sank farther into the flesh than the claws.
    Both reports conceded his eccentricities, but the second went farther and dubbed him insane.
    Twickingham is farther from us than Lincolnshire.

Use "further" when speaking of the progression of one thing.

After the initial bite, the fangs sank further into the flesh.
    We've traveled 100 miles already. Should we travel further?
    After his foundational presentation on chaos theory, the professor expounded further.

I discuss this issue in the Hammer & Tongs page of my website.
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    That "distance" and "concept" rule is one of many variations I've heard to distinguish between the two words, all of them kinda hazy and unclear. I invented a simple, clear rule to settle the matter in my mind.

Use "farther" when comparing two or more things.

The fangs sank farther into the flesh than the claws.
    Both reports conceded his eccentricities, but the second went farther and dubbed him insane.
    Twickingham is farther from us than Lincolnshire.

Use "further" when speaking of the progression of one thing.

After the initial bite, the fangs sank further into the flesh.
    We've traveled 100 miles already. Should we travel further?
    After his foundational presentation on chaos theory, the professor expounded further.

I discuss this issue in the Hammer & Tongs page of my website.
    That would be a good way of doing it if it wasn't wrong. I've bolded the spots where you used the incorrect word.

I like this site's description of farther/further - both can refer to distance, but "further" can also mean "addition" or "additionally," as in "I have no further questions."
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

I'm no further along in grasping any of this. Just have to go by ear, and hope.

I'm father away than ever but I won't get in a larva about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
    That would be a good way of doing it if it wasn't wrong. I've bolded the spots where you used the incorrect word.

I like this site's description of farther/further - both can refer to distance, but "further" can also mean "addition" or "additionally," as in "I have no further questions."
    You do, huh? Probably like this part the best: "Many counterexamples could be found, however, and using further in place of farther is never an error." Basically, we don't know when the heck you use either word, lol. They're interchangeable. And by the way, that makes all my "furthers" that you marked as incorrect correct, because "using further in place of farther is never an error", lol.

Nah, I'm not wrong...just disagree. The Grammarist is hardly the end-all for grammar questions, but I have no problem if you want to memorize that mish-mash and all the "counterexamples". More power to you. I like simple and clear. My definition does not harm meaning, and it's easy to remember. That'sa what I like, paisan.
    Last edited by John Oberon; June 18th, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm no further along in grasping any of this. Just have to go by ear, and hope.
    By my definition, you used "further" correctly.
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast