Who would you put on the Mount Rushmore of Literature?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would you put on the Mount Rushmore of Literature?

Who would you put on the Mount Rushmore of Literature?

I'm pretty sure you've all heard the phrase "The Mount Rushmore of _____" in regards to who is the best in a given field. So who do you guys think are the four greatest writers that should be forever immortalized in the Mount Rushmore of Literature?

In regards to the face placement on the memorial:

For Washington I'd put Ernest Hemingway.

For Jefferson: Mark Twain.

For Roosevelt: Edgar Allan Poe.

For Lincoln: Charles Dickens.

Let's see yours!

Washington....J.Steinbeck

Jefferson.......R.Yates

Roosevelt......Bukowski

Lincon...........J.Salinger
    The only one who can heal you is you.

A challenging question, but possibly misleading I started to fall victim to the innocent thrust of this question, then thought better. In my opinion with no disrespect intended, it's a question that's indicative of overly focused, yet oxymoronically generalized, thinking we're all subject to.

May I beg the consideration, that if one were "well read," earnestly and objectively trying to ferret out what each and every untold offering presents regardless of individual subjective perspective, just how one might arrive at such speculation. At a minimum, one's criteria would necessarily be so restrictive as to negate the generality of the question.

So far in a long lifetime of reading, I have learned just how little I do know, and but a few of the biases in my thinking. Even given another lifetime, ... well you get the point.

It is a question that might lead to more in-depth thinking of what writing is all about and its influence on society as a whole, for which I commend you

My best wishes to you and yours,
    LeeC

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    A challenging question, but possibly misleading I started to fall victim to the innocent thrust of this question, then thought better. In my opinion with no disrespect intended, it's a question that's indicative of overly focused, yet oxymoronically generalized, thinking we're all subject to.

May I beg the consideration, that if one were "well read," earnestly and objectively trying to ferret out what each and every untold offering presents regardless of individual subjective perspective, just how one might arrive at such speculation. At a minimum, one's criteria would necessarily be so restrictive as to negate the generality of the question.

So far in a long lifetime of reading, I have learned just how little I do know, and but a few of the biases in my thinking. Even given another lifetime, ... well you get the point.

It is a question that might lead to more in-depth thinking of what writing is all about and its influence on society as a whole, for which I commend you

My best wishes to you and yours,
    LeeC
    Lol you really don't need to overanalyze it. It's just something for fun, I didn't say at all that it's a super-serious-bottom-line-decision. There is no right or wrong answer and even if you haven't read all of the greats you can still express your opinion.

I'm not surprise by your response, as I've started a few "Who do you think is the best?" threads on various sports and movie-related discussions and there's always a few people that respond saying "Oh well that's impossible to do I don't think this should even be a discussion blah blah blah" (not intending to mock you just saying the gist of what other people say about it) and I think they miss the whole point: It's just for fun.

This isn't a council meeting. There is no actual Mount Rushmore of Literature about to be erected. It's just something I thought of while I was bored.

Me. Why not. Some have said I have a big head might as well put it to use.

This isn't a council meeting. There is no actual Mount Rushmore of Literature about to be erected. It's just something I thought of while I was bored.
    It's really hard for me to understand how a writer can ever be bored? Frustrated I get.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Since the purpose of a Mount Rushmore is ethnogenesis through the creation of demigods, I think it should only be Americans. Oops, I mean USA'ers. The commercial Madonna of modern US lit Hemingway definitely. And Twain who so acerbically differentiated we colonials from other English scribblers. To be effective, somebody more foundational is needed, I don't think Irving though so maybe a transcendentalist, Thoreau is too offbeat for a monument, so how about Emerson? Should we allow a girl? Or a poet? Dickinson might do, if we need to get the ladies on board. Now raise a flag and salute.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Lol without over analyzing this like everyone else:

Shakespeare

Hemingway

Orwell

King
    "I like working with first time directors because they don't really know the rules yet. And therefore don't know any limits."
    -Sir Ben Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by ppsage View Post
    It's really hard for me to understand how a writer can ever be bored? Frustrated I get.
    I guess I'm an anomaly lol.

I like Lee's response haha

However, I am not American, so I would have no problem doing this even if it was to be erected.

The spiteful me might be a little funny about it though - seeing as you Americans are the ones who will be stuck with it

Washington = Dan Brown

Jefferson = Stephen King (cash cow)

Roosevelt = Stephanie Meyer

Lincon = Karen Miller (because I couldn't think of any more names that might get people mad)

~~~

On a more serious note:

Washington = Charles Dickens

Jefferson = George Orwell

Roosevelt = George Lucas

Lincon = John R. R. Tolkien

And any of these:
    William Faulkner; Jane Austen; Franz Kafka; Charlotte Bronte; James Joyce; Virginia Woolf (with exception to Orlando); J.D. Salinger; Ernest
    Hemingway; Jorge Luis Borges; Graham Greene; [I am forgetting some]; "William Shakespeare?"

I don't think it should be limited to USA author @ Sage.

This is because aside from Native Americans who were arguably Persians that crossed the frozen Sea... all have heritage outside the US.
    Look to Roosevelt - didn't his family emigrate to the US from the Netherlands to a dutch colonial area known as New(Nieuw) Amsterdam which is known today as New York?

Last edited by Greimour; July 20th, 2014 at 05:58 AM.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.― Mahatma Gandhi

If you want me to respond to a thread or your work just pm me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast