Who would you put on the Mount Rushmore of Literature? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would you put on the Mount Rushmore of Literature?

Do people dislike Dan Brown?
    "I like working with first time directors because they don't really know the rules yet. And therefore don't know any limits."
    -Sir Ben Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeon84 View Post
    Do people dislike Dan Brown?
    A surprisingly large number, yes. Personally I enjoyed the work of his that I read; but then I was more interested in the story than the writing so I didn't formulate the same opinions of those who hate his work.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.― Mahatma Gandhi

If you want me to respond to a thread or your work just pm me.

I mean, I get why people would dislike Stephanie Meyer because it's so blatantly bad. Dan Brown doesn't strike me as blatantly bad.
    "I like working with first time directors because they don't really know the rules yet. And therefore don't know any limits."
    -Sir Ben Kingsley

I don't think it should be limited to USA author @ Sage.

This is because aside from Native Americans who were arguably Persians that crossed the frozen Sea... all have heritage outside the US.
    Getting rid of the old allegiance is the purpose of ethno-genetic mythology. Ancestral deities are invented and dead heroes are raised to the Rushmores to convince the clans into a new tribal affiliation. The shrine in question has been erected for precisely this purpose, to create and buttress a new tribe.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by ppsage View Post
    Getting rid of the old allegiance is the purpose of ethno-genetic mythology. Ancestral deities are invented and dead heroes are raised to the Rushmores to convince the clans into a new tribal affiliation. The shrine in question has been erected for precisely this purpose, to create and buttress a new tribe.
    Yeah, but this one isn't to unify a people to a single country despite ethnicity, religion and ancestry...
    This is to honour and aggrandize authors/writers for the rest of time in the minds of all who seek pleasure from the art and craft that is the written language. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeon84 View Post
    I mean, I get why people would dislike Stephanie Meyer because it's so blatantly bad. Dan Brown doesn't strike me as blatantly bad.
    I have two of his books next to me and another in the other room, I only read each of them once. I am tempted to read them again but figure out why people hate his work. Unfortunately, I can never be bothered. Maybe that is an indicator that his work is 'not good' ... because I never feel like reading his stuff a second time. Just the thought of reading it again makes me want to go to sleep - even though I liked it (the story at least) the first time I read it.

I have no doubt there are people on this forum who dislike Dan Brown, maybe they can 'illuminati' you.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.― Mahatma Gandhi

Yeah, but this one isn't to unify a people to a single country despite ethnicity, religion and ancestry...
    This is to honour and aggrandize authors/writers for the rest of time in the minds of all who seek pleasure from the art and craft that is the written language. ^_^
    Yeah. My point is it can't do that. Thankfully.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

I happen to be a serious candidate if you are willing to wait for a century! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ppsage View Post
    Yeah. My point is it can't do that. Thankfully.
    I'm still not restricting my Rushmore to American only authors. <3

Instead of Rushmore how about you think of it like this:

New Building paid for and constructed thanks to the combined efforts of every country on the planet.

"The World Library" - with art and literature from every corner of the world.

On the front of the building is 4 slots where heads of famous historical authors will be mounted. Every person on the planet gets to vote for 4 heads to be crafted and mounted in those places.

Which 4 authors will you vote to be mounted on the front of the World Library?

No more Rushmore issue? <3

Quote Originally Posted by Greimour View Post
    I like Lee's response haha

However, I am not American, so I would have no problem doing this even if it was to be erected.

The spiteful me might be a little funny about it though - seeing as you Americans are the ones who will be stuck with it

Washington = Dan Brown

Jefferson = Stephen King (cash cow)

Roosevelt = Stephanie Meyer

Lincon = Karen Miller (because I couldn't think of any more names that might get people mad)

~~~

On a more serious note:

Washington = Charles Dickens

Jefferson = George Orwell

Roosevelt = George Lucas

Lincon = John R. R. Tolkien

And any of these:
    William Faulkner; Jane Austen; Franz Kafka; Charlotte Bronte; James Joyce; Virginia Woolf (with exception to Orlando); J.D. Salinger; Ernest
    Hemingway; Jorge Luis Borges; Graham Greene; [I am forgetting some]; "William Shakespeare?"

I don't think it should be limited to USA author @ Sage.

This is because aside from Native Americans who were arguably Persians that crossed the frozen Sea... all have heritage outside the US.
    Look to Roosevelt - didn't his family emigrate to the US from the Netherlands to a dutch colonial area known as New(Nieuw) Amsterdam which is known today as New York?

It is not American authors only. If you noticed in my OP I added Charles Dickens to my MRoL.

And are you talking about George Lucas the director? Wasn't he only a screenwriter?

Lastly, yes, all Americans that aren't Natives have ancestry from a different continent; and every white American has European ancestry.

looks like this is an old thread and no one will even read this, probably, but this is too fun of a question not to post.
    For British (UK) writers, I would have: Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Wordsworth, and Alexander Pope. (Honorable mentions to John Milton, Dickens, Tennyson, Chaucer, James Joyce (I said "British," recall ), Tolkien, and Charlotte Bronte - who I wanted to put on there because Jane Eyre is my favorite book of all time, and I believe it is - perhaps not the "best" book ever written, but one of the most *important* books; and she one of the most incredible, admirable people to have ever lived. Jane Eyre alone was not enough to put her on there, however. Just like Wuthering Heights alone was not enough to put sister Emily on there - whose book is also something monumentally "important," IMHO, for people - "us mortals"? - to read).
    For American writers only, I would put: F Scott Fitzgerald, Mark Twain, Arthur Miller, and of COURSE - last but not least (in fact she is the best) ... Emily Dickinson. (Honorable mentions to HD Thoreau, Salinger, Melville, and .... oh I *guess* Hemingway. ::eye roll:: same treatment with RW Emerson as I gave Hemingway).
    Now, the big question - would any American writers make it on the Mt Rushmore of English language writers? .... hmmmm. That would mean they are better than John f****ng Milton! and Alfred Tennyson, for god's sake!! Hmmm ... Fitzgerald? smh. I don't think so. I would put Joyce on there before him. ... Yes! I've decided - I declare with finality and confidence, I would absolutely (and so gladly, considering I love her to pieces!) put Emily Dickinson on there. She would replace ... oh F, which to replace with her?? Easy! She would replace Pope. (I forgot I had put him on there, which makes me think maybe I *should* have put Milton on there in place of Pope like I had wanted to. But no - Pope is a little more versatile than Milton, I would say. A lot more humorous, for one. I do prefer Milton, though.
    Anyways - that'll do it. Hope someone reads this - But I doubt anyone will.
    And a little P.S. - how about a Mt Rushmore of poets only! ... Pope, Wordsworth, Tennyson, and Dickinson. I would say that Dickinson is the greatest poet of all time, yes. In human history. Would say it without qualms (but I am a bit partial, I admit).
    P.P.S. Ovid would at least be an honorable mention in poets worldwide. He is one of the few non-English writers I have even read, I confess with a bit of shame. Virgil is also phenomenal!
    P.P.P.S. - I would be remiss if I did not mention the names, Rudyard Kipling, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, James Dickey (yes, that'sright, James Dickey; yes, the Deliverance author), JM Barrie, and (this is just because I love her, I don't think she is one of "the greatest", really) - Anne Radcliffe. Virginia Woolf is also a genius and a great writer - but an ugly, horrid person. Good day!
    Last edited by nicksd530; February 18th, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast