When Is A Story Just A Story? - Page 2

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: When Is A Story Just A Story?

I just did my third LM piece. (Over the course of three months -- no sock puppetry here.) I've also got stuff in the Prose workshop.

I'll put more there....soon. This pesky "school" thing is keeping me busy though.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

Yep found that and read it pretty much right after I said I want to read something of yours.

Suppose I shouldn't really comment on it until the judging and what-not is done. But I liked it and I only seen one error.
    When peter said "tomorrow is my day off.." there was only an 'm' ... no 'y' or apostrophe or any indication it was his accent or speech pattern. So just to me looks like a typing error.

Anyway, it impressed me and I am glad I read it.

[EDIT]

Seems we have gone off topic a little, .

Sam. Your comment made me laugh and I couldn't help but remember a few of my English teachers that made the comment just seem too true.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

If you want me to respond to a thread or your work just pm me.

T.S. - I've mentioned earlier what Mr Wilkes at the Daily Herald told me: Just tell the story. That cuts through all the rules and gets us down to what counts. I was exposed to, and was hung up on, all the rules and interpretations of writing at university, then forgot all that as a journalist where I followed different sets of rules according to circumstance, and continued in my innocence until recently when the word 'arc' and its associated complexities suddenly reminded me of why I walked out of university years ago and forgot about teaching English. That's all nonsense. Just tell the story.

Greimour - It was Churchill, not Roosevelt, but for the moment I can't remember the lady's name. It'll come to me, I'm certain.

My intention on starting university was to teach English at university level and to research and write about the literature of the past. My special interest was the 18th Century and my masters thesis was an analysis of the themes in Tom Jones by Fielding. I was in the midst of preparing a doctoral dissertation on the influence of Blake on later writers. A growing dissatisfaction with the whole academic business erupted one day and I gave it up to go away and watch people shoot at one another. I was already established as a stringer for half a dozen newspapers in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Tennessee, and used those connections to establish my bona fides with the wire services. My father called me an idiot for quitting school at that point. I think he was looking forward to having a professor in the family.

If I'd not quit when I did, I'd be a retired English teacher today so watch what you say about English teachers.

You say Write a fictional story the same way you would a non-fictional one and that's what I do. Almost any police situation report can be turned into a bit of flash fiction with little effort and, in fact, my technique in rewriting what the PC put in the sitrep was always to turn it into a bit of flash non-fiction, though I didn't know the term at the time.

Now, for the second time in my life, I'm going to forget the rules, knock down the arc, and just tell the story.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

Writing is an art and just with all art its open to interpretation and study. I find myself spotting themes, metaphors etc when I'm reading now thanks to my English class. I couldn't care less if I did or not, though. I think there's many more pressing matters in the Earth than what an author meant. Coincidentally, I've started adding themes and covert metaphors in my writing to try and appease those sorts as well. Because the casual reader won't be put off by it, they may not even notice it, but the others may be actively seeking it.

I've basically become something I hate. Someone who is not direct. I would quite like it if the author said "look, I could make a metaphor for the current education system, but I'm just gonna say its shit. That's my message." But anyway, I'm digressing a bit here. A story can be anything to anyone, you could write the most basic story but if someone wanted to, they could squeeze out hidden messages and metaphors like a constipated shit. Just part of the game, I suppose.
    Apple Ice

Pretty much all the time here at WF.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

I once wrote a story and got this long, detailed comment on it, basically stating how "awed" the reader was with all the various things I'd done in the story. I, in return, was awed by how profoundly I'd written - without even knowing it!

I tell a story and put it out there. People will dissect it and discuss it and form opinions about it - and there's not a damn thing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it.
    Has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by garza View Post
    Greimour - It was Churchill, not Roosevelt, but for the moment I can't remember the lady's name. It'll come to me, I'm certain.
    Churchill!! So it was... haha.. <3

I too wanted to be an English teacher. Not a professor or anything. But when I fell in love with the English language (written mostly but all forms) I thought it was the ideal job. I didn't want to go into dissecting stories and meanings and all that though. I wanted to teach more along the lines of a how-to, why and what's so good about it all.. that type teacher - the same kind that nurtured my love of the language in the first place. I have had 3 such teachers... the rest completely bored the crap out of me and made me think of their lessons negatively.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

I couldn't care less honestly. But if someone feels the need to over analyze a story then more power to them. I don't write thinking about it, and I don't think I ever will. I just write to tell a story, is there is more there then that is an unintentional thing.

I must be the only one on this forum who, when reading my story months later, finds that I've subconsciously slipped some of my own personal opinions about the world into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rocket View Post
    I must be the only one on this forum who, when reading my story months later, finds that I've subconsciously slipped some of my own personal opinions about the world into the story.
    Not at all. I do it both intentionally and unintentionally. Sometimes I throw in views I disagree with... sometimes I will even make my characters view decide that opinion is correct - even though I personally disagree with it. Of course I might then let that character die, but that is the wont of a writer in a fickle mood.

Most of the time I just use real life stuff to add familiarity.
    For example, I made all my Dwarves in one story becomes adults at 14 based on nothing more than Jewish Bar/Bat Mitzvah's

[EDIT]

Garza, was it Nancy Astor?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast