When Is A Story Just A Story? - Page 19

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9111213141516171819

Thread: When Is A Story Just A Story?

It's not your enthusiasm that has gotten me discouraged, Kyle. I would never hold someone's enthusiasm against them.

It's the fact that I just can't seem to understand the whole deal. I hate feeling like an idiot.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” -Carl Sagan

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. --Jon Roland, 1976

Have you checked out the Hidden Content

Founder of the Pantsers United Group and member of the Fantasy Lords Group

"Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful,
    insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Bowman View Post
    It's not your enthusiasm that has gotten me discouraged, Kyle. I would never hold someone's enthusiasm against them.

It's the fact that I just can't seem to understand the whole deal. I hate feeling like an idiot.
    I don't think anyone would object to a talk/discussion on thematics. I certainly wouldn't and when it comes to some aspects of writing and even reading - I would not object to lessons, advice and discussions.

Bowman, I don't think you should let yourself feel like an idiot. Not understanding or comprehending doesn't make you stupid. Some things simply don't sink in for some people. Despite that, they often make up for it in other ways... as I am sure you do too.

Usually though, when something doesn't make sense... it often means it hasn't been explained in a way [the person in question] can understand. I thought perhaps prompts would do the trick.
    LFM Competitions for example - when you write based on a prompt - that is pretty much the same as writing to a theme. Though not identical, the similarities are compatible enough for blood transfusions.

At any rate... even if you don't understand themes, there will be things you understand that I never will. I don't feel stupid for it though. To me it is perfectly naturally that such things happen. Our minds are different and they are filled with different knowledge and experiences. We are wired differently and perceptions and conceptions are processed differently. Strength in numbers doesn't always mean physical. 2 heads are better than 1, after all.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

If you want me to respond to a thread or your work just pm me.

It's really the opposite of that, because when you've got it, it becomes central.

It's the central argument / idea / choice around which everything else is built. For example, it tells you who the protagonist will be, who the antagonist will be (see Justin Rocket's post #28 ) and so much more.
    I think the theme of this thread has become 'thinking everyone writes like me'. By your argument, you would make an excellent protagonist; but this also shows that, since you already are the protagonist of your own perspective on the discussion, theme has arisen from character, not the other way around.

Unless you want to argue that I've got the theme wrong. But it my mind, I've got the theme right, and any English student worth his salt would say that we've both got the theme right. So there's no argument to be had.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content