NaNo 2014 - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NaNo 2014

Thanks, Pip. I hope I get it too.

I've heard schooling for pastors can be really tough. And yet we've had these same students do NaNo in the past. It depends on how much you feel you can handle, really. Founder, Chris Baty does not suggest waiting til you have a month to take off work to do NaNo. (See No Plot? No Problem!) Because when you have nothing to do, it's actually further grounds for procrastination. You'll find tons of other things to do with your time- rather then doing what you're really supposed to be doing and writing that book. It's when every thing is going on in your life you actually have more of a chance of succeeding- because you'll find every spare moment you can to write as much and as quickly as you can. Every one has a limit, of course, as I'm sure you know yours. Just food for thought.

That blogging group sounds interesting. I've had a hard time setting up an author blog, though, because I can't seem to find a name that hasn't been taken. Aggravating. I'll keep that in mind in case I do find a name that works, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Logan View Post
    Municipal Liason. It's the leader/s of your area. Mine is a bit unorganized. Last year, we didn't even have an ML. I would like to see NaNo succeed here.

Haha. I may be the newbie on this forum, but our roles reverse when discussing NaNo. That's ok; we're all new to something sooner or later.

So glad to hear you'll be joining us! If you don't have a story yet, no reason for concern. The best time for dreaming is in October; then you quickly write down what you can. I wouldn't recommend non-fiction for NaNo. It's more geared towards fiction books. No editing! Not a lot of research time- 50k words are the ultimate goal between midnight November 1st to midnight November 30th. Preperation work is allowed during October, but not a word in the book can be written before November 1st.
    I see no reason not to try it. It sounds like it could be a fun challenge, and one that benefits you even if you lose. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind.

Hm. I've been considering this, mostly because of my novels written, both came in at 105K+ words, and each were written in less than 50 days. As I see it, writing 50K words in 30 days is 1,667 words a day for the entire month of November. Normally, I take weekends off from writing, taking away ten days in November of this year, meaning I'd need to write about 2,380 words everyday for the 21 days I would be writing in November; just 380 words over my minimum word count right now. Not very challenging, given some of my word counts go much higher than that (though, admittedly, my momentum comes in waves at times).

I suppose I probably will be doing NaNoWriMo, if nothing else for the fact that I know I can accomplish it. But as for actually posting to the NaNo site and all that jazz... eh. Not so sure. If I do it, it'll likely be for myself and my own word counts, not posting my numbers to their site.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

You have some impressive numbers there! Pushing myself HARD, I think I've gotten 7k; but it's an exhausting exercise to try that many. The only reason I did it was because I was running behind; although there might have been a day (maybe the first time it happened?) that I got it by accident. I was just pushing to get the word count out and discovered that I made a high number. I haven't been able to do 10k. I'd have to "train" for that. (Again referring to No Plot? No Problem! Baty compares writing for NaNo to running a 5k marathon. It takes practice!)

By the way, Bishop, if the numbers are too easy for you- no one said you had to stick to the 50k number. That's just a general word count goal. You can set the bar so it challenges you more. There are crazy numbers people set for the first day alone- the more you write in the first couple of days, the less you have to worry about for the rest of the month I believe is the idea.

Yeah, I can always beef it up. I just don't know about going to the NaNo site and registering and putting my word count up everyday... that's the part I'm kinda "meh" about.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

Actually you don't have to go there every day. Technically you could register and come back on day 30 to report your 50k+, validate it with their word count tool and still win.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Woohoo, Anfinson! Well spoken!

I always pondered on the idea of joining in on the NaNo fun, but never had the gusto or even time to try. Now that I have, I will be partaking this year.

Hello, hello. This year will be my ninth year (almost consecutive) of NaNoWriMo. It's been a bit of a rush the past couple of years, as November is when my classes finish up.

I'm not sure what I will be working on this year. I think not knowing is part of the fun.

I am 'JM' over there.
    Last edited by Silver; September 1st, 2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

I have tried for 4 years and failed for 4 years, I always had something on. Mainly Uni, full time job, 5 kids etc etc...

this year I have finished Uni so I have the time and I am determined to get it done this year, I hope to get to some writing events. Either online or in person as I have found this to be very motivating in te past.

Graham

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast