Thread: Intro sentences

Intro sentences

Write your best first line for a story.

Here's some examples

"Why don't we just steal it?"

"Through the fog, John could see something stalking him."

"The smell of burned flesh permeated the room."

"Mrs Agatha, Lisa's foster mom, was a mean drunk."
    Last edited by Justin Rocket; June 29th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

It was late, the boat creaked like a wooden coffin, and I'd already drunk the last of Harvey's piss.
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

This isn't how it was supposed to happen...

Like glass from a mirror, the world shattered.

You have never heard silence like the silence of space.

The computer screen flicked to black, a small sphere began bouncing from corner to corner in a hypnotic dance.

Who am I? What am I? Most importantly, why am I? Am I chance? Coincidence? Do I have a purpose, or am I just a pawn? No………. I’m David.

You asked for one opening line, but of mine none is much more of a favourite than most others. Here is a random sample. Pick one and we'll call it my favourite.

'You've come to watch me die.' - from 'Going Gentle into that Good Night'.

'You're hopeless,' said Bernie. - from 'Out at Sea'.

'Lester always smelled like a wet dog.' - from 'Lester' in Seven Miles on a Dirt Road.

'We'll go to prison.' - from 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

'Whenever Ralph came home Papa would start to lock things away - first the whiskey, then whatever he could lay his hands on quick that was worth anything before Ralph got to it and sold it to buy some smoke.' - from 'Ralph' in Seven Miles on a Dirt Road.'

'I dint go to school today on account of I done ate too many collie flowers and caught the dire rear.' - from 'Donky Hodie Road a Hors'.

'It will die.' - from 'Danny's Dog' in Seven Miles on a Dirt Road.

'You're a girl!' said Randy. - from 'Venus in Transit'.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

I've never had a gun held to my head before lunch.

(Not a "Best Of" offering, just a quickie. Every good opening line is "good" for different reasons, some that may have to do with the tone being set for the story or specifics desired by the genre's audience.)

Bilston, the Black Country, in the heart of England
    A long opening sentence from one of my works in progress, provisionally titled The Distant Rumble of Aneurin Bevan Turning in his Grave:

Waiting for his mother’s return from a treatment session designed to reduce arthritic swelling in her hands, which included the injection of steroids into pinched carpal tunnels, Delaney was more concerned than he thought healthy at having to sit at the wrong (i.e., window, not aisle) end of a row of seats in a waiting area which resembled in its layout if not dimensions an aeroplane's passenger cabin.
    "I think a life is a plot. It's probably the elementary plot. I came across a quotation of Patrick White, the Australian writer, just about the time I needed it. He said he never bothers with plot. He just writes about life 'limping along toward death.' That made me feel much better, to keep this in my mind."

Carol Shields.

'The mourning period was over.'

'"Honestly Gerald, you're such a charmer."'

'I was walking down the road when I saw two men staring at me like the horizon on the back of a wasteland.'

A couple of those come from my A level Creative Writing coursework.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Sometimes, it pretty well sucks being The Official Ferryman Of The Underworld. I know, I know, the title sounds good and all. Lots of prestige involved, right? Well, not so much as you might think.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” -Carl Sagan

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. --Jon Roland, 1976

Have you checked out the Hidden Content

Founder of the Pantsers United Group and member of the Fantasy Lords Group

"Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful,
    insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows." - Walt Disney

Here are three off the top of my head;

Trevor never thought much about his looks. Never thought much about his face at all, until the day he looked into the mirror and saw it melting.

“I got two words for ya,” the guy pointing the Glock at his face said. “Run. Now.”

The worst thing about being in the hospital was all the damned spiders.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

"Johnson! Get that damn death ray up here, these mimes are NOT going to kill themselves!"
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast