Is anyone else having trouble building a platform? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone else having trouble building a platform?

I believe Shadowwalker is correct. Focusing on a top quality manuscript is what publishers are interested in.

Having a presence on social media, nothing wrong with that. If an agent/publisher is seriously considering offering to represent/publish a work submitted to them, I imagine they'd google the name of the individual who submitted it.

What would it reveal?

It very well could give a window into who they would be going into business with. Is the writer professional? Is the writer an obnoxious #&*$#^* (jerk)?

Sure having a lot of followers and friends online would be neat, but a writer is better off spending the hours learning and writing a great story rather than trying to beat the online bushes for 'followers' and 'loyal fans'--which, unless there is another reason other than writing the writher has, is really an uphill--I mean upmountain struggle.

My experience is also anecdotal, but my agent said he is looking always for the writing, so much so that he didn't bother with the synopsis of my submission until after he'd read the submitted chapters. Then the publisher and commissioning editors were also looking at the quality of the writing, because the deal I have depends on me adding a substantial amount to the novel, i.e. it needs work. The above is very flattering, and I definitely don't want to come across as 'hey look at me', because I know how it sounds to read this back, but this is what they told me when outlining what they are looking for, not me inferring

There's been no mention at all of my social media skills.

I do have a blog but my approach with that has been to try and write about stuff that's interesting in and of itself (at least to me), rather than try and advertise my writing constantly. The theory was that if readers want to make a connection and 'follow' the author, they want some authenticity, a connection with the human being, rather than a publicity tooled persona, because the former is what creates 'sticky' relationships.

The common wisdom of spending time and energy buidling big webs of internet "friends" in order to sell your books has some major flaws.
    Big one being... it doesn't really work. Twittering doesn't really sell books.
    You look at the blockbuster writers who've emerged in recent years and you don't see that pattern. (You also don't see big presses so much.... more like Wool and 50 Shades and The Martian, etc... indie books establishing indie writers)
    I've got a white paper here on some "platform" planks that actually DO work (in fact, worked for those very books) A free download right here....

To quote the blurb on the download page:
    A tutorial that tells you more--and different--things about platforms than all those "experts" out there who published when already established. Do you know best-sellers who came from nowhere based on their blogs and tweets? Well, how about 50 Shades and Twilight and Wool, that came in from fanbases that have nothing to do with that? Have you heard an expert mention MailChimp? Let this nice document open you up to a whole world of different kind of "platforming" where you are writing what you like to write and having fun while gaining readers, not "followers" and "friends".
    Last edited by Linton Robinson; February 26th, 2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Editing is just so damned fun
    See my books Hidden Content (and in heaven).

seeing this thread bumped and rereading it is interesting. i have to say now after this time has passed
    and a lot has changed in my life and with my writing since last responding to this thread.....don't even
    concern yourself with the social media aspect of this writing endeavor you're on. it's a waste of time.
    you write stories. you get better at writing stories. you get some publishing credits on your resume and you
    keep writing until you've written something worthy enough to attract an agent. your published credits
    on your resume, even if only a few, will help you a thousand times more in making an agent take notice
    of your query than 2000 followers on facebook will. you can gain facebook followers just by being an obnoxious
    dumb ass talking shit...or just by being an attractive female with a sexy profile pic. that garbage means
    absolutely nada, as far as your hopes at having real success.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12