Knitting baby stuff at a young age

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knitting baby stuff at a young age

Knitting baby stuff at a young age

I am 15 right now and knitting baby stuff.

When I was 9 I could cast on but I couldn't knit or purl(the pictures were too complicated)

When I was 12 I decided to start knitting again. It was during the winter that I started or at least close to it. It took me months to learn to purl correctly. Until then all my purls looked like this:

YO, P

Because of this I stuck to garter stitch for months.

After that I learned horizontal striping.

I then learned increases and decreases and so I was really ready to start knitting baby stuff.

I figured starting to knit baby stuff at a young age would mean less stress when I do become pregnant.

For every pattern I knit I plan to knit one in colors I think are feminine and one in colors I think are masculine so that I will have enough clothes for whatever gender my baby is when I have one.
    Last edited by caters; June 13th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.

Got any pictures of stuff you've knitted?

I've got a friend that knits. He'll swear up and down that cooking is a "woman's job", but turn around and spend an entire weekend knitting.
    I have an extensive knowledge of Mean Girls quotes.

No I haven't taken any pictures yet of stuff I have knitted.

If you ever take any pictures, I'd love to see it. That's a cool talent to have, and I imagine it's really tough.

Quote Originally Posted by popsprocket View Post
    I've got a friend that knits. He'll swear up and down that cooking is a "woman's job", but turn around and spend an entire weekend knitting.
    That made me burst into a fit of giggles. Cooking is for woman, but knitting is for everyone? That is a silly mindset.

Here are my booties. These were knitted recently with I Love This Yarn.

Girl set:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1440402633427-1068160733.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	9424

Boy set:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1440402699976-120161460.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	9425

The smallest of each set is newborn size, the middle one is 3 months, and the largest one is 6 months. The ends still need to be woven in but I actually had to edit the Just Hatched Booties pattern to get rid of the unneeded hole from the knit and turn short rows. I think some ribbon, possibly an I cord ribbon would go very nice with these booties.

knitting blows my mind...to me it is just as complex as physics...well done
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    Your baby will be very well outfitted! (someday) I crochet but never have gotten on to knitting. I'd like to, though. The booties are very cute.
    Hidden Content in the Daily Dose of Dialogue

The good and bad of publishing: Hidden Content

Thanks. I am thinking of using a 3 needle bind off to sew these and then weave all the ends in. Since my acrylic yarn tends to slip out of being woven in I do the same thing I would do for cotton yarn and that is separate the 4 ply yarn into 2 groups of 2 plies each when I reach a certain yarn length, weave those in until I reach a certain length, and then tie a knot and if needed trim it(not completely obviously because then it would untie).

If only spit splicing worked for acrylic. Then I could just wet the ends(which might also help prevent fraying), weave them in, and let the whole thing dry and I wouldn't have to worry about having to tie a knot.

Blog Entries
    Well done on starting so young.

See if you can find a booklet that will show you all the different types of crochet stitches [there are not many types] and teach yourself to crochet. Baby clothes that are crocheted are gorgeous, and so easy.

I made all the knitted/crocheted clothes for my babies in either creamy yellow or soft turquoise so they did for either gender.
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

So cute! I know how to knit but I couldn't do anything like that. Looks great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast