"Alright" or "All right.' - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: "Alright" or "All right.'

Quote Originally Posted by Skyanne View Post
    Kepharel, I am so happy that you verbalized why I instinctively felt that "all right" was not the proper way to say one is feeling satisfactory. It has always peeved me to write "all right" when I clearly meant it to mean okay/adequate/satisfactory and not all is right. "All right" just looks ridiculous when used to mean satisfactory. I have seen "alright" in adolescent books growing up. I don't know why it fell into desuetude.
    My other dislike of "all right" in the written word is the ambiguity it causes when used in the plural. To say "We are all right" in a sentence can sometimes cause problems if the mind of the reader places dominance on the word "right". The alternative meaning being that everyone is correct, rather than feeling perfect in body and soul. Okay, I suppose context should eliminate ambiguity, but it has happened with me at least This is why the absolute plural use should be "all, all" which has a rather lumpy, awkward feel about it.
    One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six." From A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kepharel View Post
    ‘This is the honest truth, I’m all right’,

is in my opinion, a sloppy and misleading use of the two words. Taken together, superficially, they signify you have made a total and collective positive assessment of your life at that present moment in time, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
    I understand what you're saying (that all right, if both words are individually defined, means "correct in totality"), but all right, as defined in the dictionary, isn't just a combination of two distinct words. It's also an adjective phrase.

all right
    adjective

• 1. satisfactory but not especially good; acceptable

"the tea was all right"
    Synonyms: satisfactory, acceptable, adequate, fairly good, passable, reasonable...

So, yes, you can say "The figures are all right," if you want to mean, "The figures are all accurate."

But you can also say, "The group is feeling all right," if you want to mean, "The group is feeling okay."

Both usages are correct. All right can function as two individual words, or as an adjective phrase.

I know this thread was old but I've read it with interest. I believe my English basics to be sound but I did not realise that "alright" was not a real word in formal English. I'm glad the discussion took place because I've learned something new (to me) and I will no longer use the word. Indeed, it has always grated on me when I've seen "all right" used as I believed it to be wrong (except under certain conditions such as "The students obtained a 100% mark. They got the answers all right" (I would have regarded "alright" as wrong here))
    Dare I say that I think you're alwrong though .

Oh dear, I'm in the SP&G forum again. Stand clear then.

What is the point of a written language which insists on introducing ambiguity where there is none in the spoken language? To me that indicates that the written language is not fit for purpose and needs to evolve. To say that "the figures are all right" with a clear gap between the words means that each figure is individually correct whereas to say that "the figures are alright" with the two words clearly run together and the stress moved means that they are acceptable collectively but states nothing about the correctness of individual figures. If I were required to write a memo to someone expressing my opinion concerning the figures I would use the appropriate wording to suit my intended meaning and any editor changing my words would have to take the legal consequences when the company discovered that he'd changed the meaning. I was trained in an actuarial department where professional opinions were given as to whether figures were alright, but only an accountant would go so far as saying that figures are all right. Accountants tend to deal in facts where actuaries deal in probabilities.

I hope that I am never faced with the serious prospect of an editor being let loose on my work. My only experience of that so far resulted in my wanting to disown the result as he published it without getting my approval and that is not at all right.

I really shouldn't look at this forum. English is a wild animal; it would die if kept in captivity. Stop prodding it with blunt blue pencils; it's cruel.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Yair . . .

Dunno. I use both forms and "alright" is not the same as "all right" two completely different applications. . . in Australian dialogue I use "orright" as much as either. There's thousands of references if you have a look around . . . most come to this conclusion . . . .

Usage notes
    • Some distinguish between "alright" and "all right" by using "alright" to mean "fine, good, okay" and "all right" to mean "all correct". Alternatively (in addition to the previous), "Alright" may be used as a interjection la "OK", whilst "all right" used in the sense of "unharmed, healthy".

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    There seems to be a misconception that alright is somehow all right because it seems similar to altogether and already. That is not the case. Alright is used as a synonym for all right, where altogether and already are not synonyms of all together and all ready.

Altogether means, entirely (the weather today is altogether wonderful), all together, on the other hand, means, collectively (we ran the race all together). The latter can be rearranged splitting all from together (we all ran the race together). The former makes no sense if you do the same (all the weather today is together wonderful).

Already means, previously (we already have a ride to the beach), all ready means, prepared (the envelopes are all ready to mail). Again the two word version can be rearranged and still make sense (all the envelopes are ready to mail) while the one word cannot be split (we all have a ready ride to the beach).

No such distinction exists for 'alright'. It's usage is exactly the same as all right, therefore superfluous.
    I'm mostly in Terry's camp, but "alright" is in all three of my dictionaries - they say it's non-standard usage for "all right". That said, my ear detects a slight difference between the two that influences my use of them. I use "all right" in the sense of something being in good order or correct:

It's important those gears are positioned correctly. Are they all right?
    That was quite a spill I took, but I'm all right.

I use "alright" as an affirmation, like saying "fine" or "OK":

"I need to leave work for the afternoon."
    "Alright, but you're not getting paid."

Alright...is everybody ready to go?

This is just my own personal thinking, and I couldn't make an argument against using "all right" in all cases, except to say my eye doesn't like it as an affirmation, lol
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789