"Alright" or "All right.' - Page 3


Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: "Alright" or "All right.'

  1. #21
    WF Veteran Gyarachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Try telling that to an English professor, after handing in your thesis, and see where it gets you.

    'Alright' is not an accepted word in the English language. One day it may become so, but until that day I suggest you use the proper 'all right'.
    You just selectively read my posts... Why do you all keep doing that?

    I have said on several occasions now to know your audience and write for them. If you are doing a thesis, then it would be best to use "all right" if you care about your grade. How many times do I have to say this? NEVER did I advocate using whatever you want willy-nilly. I specifically emphasized NOT doing that.

    Perhaps I need to quote all of my previous posts...

    Of course, when we write we want to be understood. Thus, it would be in our best interest to use words that are commonly understood. However, I don't think you will find many people who won't understand what you mean by "alright." That being said, you also need to be smart and know your audience, and realize that there will be those who adhere to certain standards for whatever reason.
    My advice is that if you want your writing to be understood, it is obviously best to use language that is commonly understood. In this case, no one is going to have difficulty comprehending "alright," therefore you are free to use either.

    My other bit of advice was to know your audience, and know that there are those who find "alright" unacceptable.
    Twice now I have said it is best to use words/spelling that are suited to your audience. If you are writing to an audience that doesn't care, there is nothing wrong with using "alright." If you are trying to get published, it would obviously be best to use "all right."
    I will restate yet again: write in a way that your audience would want to read it. If you write "cooky" people are probably going to raise eyebrows, and if it is consistent your chances of getting published probably aren't great.
    However, you need to be aware there there are those who will not understand/accept it any other way.

    Furthermore, when you say it is not accepted, accepted by whom? I accept it. I know many others who do. Who gets to decide?
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

    "Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

  2. #22
    There is absolutely a correct way to spell things. If we left it up to you, our language would be completely incomprehensible. The rules of spelling exist for a reason. This is utter chaos you are talking about. There is no discussion here. Yes, it is factual that "Alright" is not a word. It is spelled "all right." Yes, this is fact, because you want these "facts" of spelling to exist so much. There is an authority. The Grammarian Gods have deemed it. You are wrong. "Alright" is not a word. Let it go. Maybe one day "Alright" will become a word. Maybe it will mean tree. Maybe it will mean sky. But as of now, "Alright" is not synonymous with "all right," no matter how it sounds or how recognizable it may be to a reader. Accept it.

    You are not going to have any audience at all if you don't know how to spell words. You are making my head hurt. This is not a difficult concept at all. Words need to be spelled correctly. That's it. That is the entire discussion. There is no arguing it. Look it up in the Dictionary. It's spelled "all right."

    Again, why are you making this so difficult?

  3. #23
    WF Veteran Elvenswordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm Atlantic Canadian. We use alright consistently, despite the fact that yes - it's an improper, combined word.

    When writing, feel free to use alright, or all right; all it comes down to is your background.

    In terms of correctness, in ANY formal writing, all right is the default. When writing creatively, I believe it's similar to the tendencies a certain painter makes with brush strokes - it speaks to your character.

    No need to get angry, lads.

    Personally, I think all right or any variation seems like a silly response.

    "How are you today?"

    "Alright."

    She had had a bad day, but was now feeling all right.

    Just seems like a dumb word/s.
    Cheers,
    Elven

    P.S.
    Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a critique, a word of encouragement, or just someone to talk to. I listen well.

  4. #24
    WF Veteran Gyarachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Chris View Post
    There is absolutely a correct way to spell things. If we left it up to you, our language would be completely incomprehensible. The rules of spelling exist for a reason. This is utter chaos you are talking about. There is no discussion here. Yes, it is factual that "Alright" is not a word. It is spelled "all right." Yes, this is factual. There is an authority. The Grammarian Gods have deemed it. Let it go.

    You are not going to have any audience at all if you don't know how to spell words. You are making my head hurt. This is not a difficult concept at all. Words need to be spelled correctly. That's it. That is the entire discussion. There is no arguing it. Look it up in the Dictionary. It's spelled "all right."

    Again, why are you making this so difficult?
    And you continue to selectively read my posts... I suggest you read my last one. If you can't grasp that I am not saying that you can spell however you want whenever you want and be understood, then I can't do anything else to help you.

    Furthermore, I fail to see how advocating writing in a way that is commonly understood while understanding the difference between objectively correct and common usage is "utter chaos."
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

    "Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    And you continue to selectively read my posts... I suggest you read my last one. If you can't grasp that I am not saying that you can spell however you want whenever you want and be understood, then I can't do anything else to help you.

    Furthermore, I fail to see how advocating writing in a way that is commonly understood while understanding the difference between objectively correct and common usage is "utter chaos."
    That's the only thing you are saying. You are suggesting that it is perfectly okay to interchange "Alright" and "all right." It's not.

    If you want to talk about creative writing, fine, use whatever words you want. I don't care. It's your story. But you are trying to claim the existence of a word that doesn't exist yet. Language doesn't work that way.

    It's utter chaos because you're telling someone to spell a word however they want instead of telling them the correct spelling. Seriously. When students hand me essays with "Alright" in them, I mark them wrong. Yes, I correct the spelling to "all right." It doesn't matter that I know what they mean. I would be terrible at my job if I encouraged them to spell it that way.

  6. #26
    WF Veteran Gyarachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    18
    This thread has only served to reinforce why I never get into discussions like this (I believe this is the first of the sort I have gotten into on this site).

    Nobody listens. They have their view, and will selectively read/hear/twist/ignore your views to assert their own, no matter how many times you point out that they are misrepresenting yours. The outcome is never good.

    I'm done here. I will say no more.
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

    "Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    This thread has only served to reinforce why I never get into discussions like this (I believe this is the first of the sort I have gotten into on this site).

    Nobody listens. They have their view, and will selectively read/hear/twist/ignore your views to assert their own, no matter how many times you point out that they are misrepresenting yours. The outcome is never good.

    I'm done here. I will say no more.
    There is no view. There is a correct way to spell a word and an incorrect way to spell a word. That's the entire discussion. I'm not trying to argue anything, and I'm not trying to sound pompous. I am simply telling you that the word is spelled "all right." There is nothing to argue on my end. If you don't believe me, I suggested you look it up in the dictionary. That is all.

  8. #28
    WF Veteran Elvenswordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Chris View Post
    There is no view. There is a correct way to spell a word and an incorrect way to spell a word. That's the entire discussion. I'm not trying to argue anything, and I'm not trying to sound pompous. I am simply telling you that the word is spelled "all right." There is nothing to argue on my end. If you don't believe me, I suggested you look it up in the dictionary. That is all.
    Technically, all right is two words.

    And there is a combined word spelled "alright" that many argue is a correct usage. Many also argue that combined words are improper. Getting annoyed is not the best idea, either of you.
    Cheers,
    Elven

    P.S.
    Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a critique, a word of encouragement, or just someone to talk to. I listen well.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    This thread has only served to reinforce why I never get into discussions like this (I believe this is the first of the sort I have gotten into on this site).

    Nobody listens. They have their view, and will selectively read/hear/twist/ignore your views to assert their own, no matter how many times you point out that they are misrepresenting yours. The outcome is never good.

    I'm done here. I will say no more.
    Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but there is no such word in the Oxford English dictionary (the pre-eminent English dictionary in the world) as 'alright'.

    It does not exist.

    You can assert that no one listens all you want, but you're the one at the moment who isn't listening. The word has not yet been integrated into the language. The proper spelling is 'all right'. That's the point being made.
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

    "It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

    "Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

    "He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenswordsman View Post
    Technically, all right is two words.

    And there is a combined word spelled "alright" that many argue is a correct usage. Many also argue that combined words are improper. Getting annoyed is not the best idea, either of you.
    Yeah, sure, technically, "all right" is two words, but that's not the point at all. I'm not annoyed. I'm just confused about why she is making an argument out of it. The word you're referring to, is it this?

    http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/5732?r...o&result=1#eid

    That's the only "Alright" that I can think of, which is an antiquated Anglo-Saxon Old English word meaning "Just," which would have been spelled:

    α. OE ealrihte, lOE eallriht, eME allrihht ( Ormulum), eME alriȝt, eME alriht, eME ealriht; Sc. pre-17 all richt.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.