Should I remove my book from the market? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I remove my book from the market?

Wow, now I'm curious about your daughter's book. What's it called?
    Check out my blog at Hidden Content !

"You can fail at what you don't want. You might as well do what you love." -Jim Carrey

dvspec,

It's called She's My Ride Home, by Jackie Bushore. She wrote it while in college, also while in my writer's group and submitted it to 10 agents. She got 4 phone calls the first day, signed with a top agent, a major publishing company was interested, but wanted a rewrite. She complied, but then they wanted another rewrite. Since she was in college she just let it drop. I suggested she stick with it, but I always let my kids make up their own minds. I've been bugging her for years to let me publish it, but she was a triple major, then joined the army, Basic Training, Officer Candidate School and then Explosives Ordnance Disposal School, which she's about to graduate. She finally sent it to me a couple of months ago.
    The thing is, it's girl/girl romance, which is a real hot seller these days. Yes, it's a very well written book and a good story, but it's all about the market for your genre and also timing. I held off until the very beginning of summer (beach reading) before publishing. I was going to do a free promotion for the first few days, through KDP select, but it began selling immediately, so I decided to let things run their course, which was several hundred copies the first week.
    I also think it helped that her publisher and editor (ME) has learned what NOT to do and therefore avoided the usual first-time novelist mistakes. But it's her book, and I'm proud as can be. Blowing my own horn, I free lance edit and have had some of my clients have modest success. I hope to write and offer professional editing full time after I retire next year. I might even open a publishing company where I collaborate with an author on editing, formatting, cover, e-publishing and hardcover publishing, but hard cover is not for profit, it's just so the author can purchase low-cost copies for promotions and gifts. Hard cover is not profitable unless you can sign with a major publisher - I've tried 3 small publishing houses and would have been better to self-pub.

I had a look at the website of your publisher Friesen Press. They appear to charge quite a lot of money for services that could be acquired for free or for relatively little expense elsewhere. Many of their books don't look particularly professional. I wouldn't buy books from them, or review books that they had published.

For your next book, you might be better off using the money that you would have given to Friesen Press to pay a cover designer, editor and proofreader, and to promote the book through some of the means that others in this thread have suggested.

You could also consider publishing through a more traditional route. The advice and support of an agent or publisher could be invaluable in shaping your books, and might result in a higher level of sales.

sunaynaprasad - my advice would be to get your next book out ASAP and then link to it within your first book. Run a free promo on Kindle Select. Get your book out there to as many readers as possible and build your following. Then start on book 3!

Don't be scared to give your books out for free - what you may lose initially you can recover in the long run when you get customers for life!

I help manage my girlfriend's short stories, and from my experience the bulk of your sales will come in keywords. That's right, random people that are bored and looking for a book to read and inputting different phrases in the search engine that'll match their interests. I was promoting her works to friends and the such for the first week, and only two people bought it, and it's most likely two of her closest friends that said they'd buy it.

When I did my research on categories and keywords, and angled it in a way so that her book appears closer to the first page of a certain keyword, she's been selling at least 10 copies a day. I know for a fact that these aren't our friends either because people from the UK and Australia are buying it.

Here's one website that I sought out after discovering the importance of keywords that will shed some light on it:

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2013/...scoverability/

You'd be sort of surprised how important keywords is to the marketing of your ebook. It's literally some peoples jobs to manage keywords so that the rate of people discovering it on Amazon is high.

That is an awesome link BallerGamer. Saved to favorites.
    Check out my blog at Hidden Content !

"You can fail at what you don't want. You might as well do what you love." -Jim Carrey

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234