Should I remove my book from the market? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I remove my book from the market?

Since you asked, I copied and pasted the description here for an edit.

Twelve-year-old Alyssa McCarthy can no longer stand the toughness <I don't know what that means. By tough, do you mean abuse, emotional distance, what?> of her uncle and wants a better life. But <Not sure on this, but starting a sentence with and or but is usually frowned on.> one day she discovers not only the existence of magic, but also a villain hunting her down. <Why? Give the villain a name, don't call him/her/it a villain. The villain uses magic and magical technology to kidnap Alyssa to the Fiji Islands. As much as she wants to go home, she has to face some dangerous challenges first. Not only that, the villain himself must also be defeated. Can Alyssa succeed, even with the help of her mentors?

Of course, I have not read the book and have no idea what it is about other than Alyssa and magic and getting magically kidnapped to Fiji. Actually, that is the problem. From what I have read, that is all I know. Her uncle is mentioned, but why? He doesn't seem to play into the story much, so why mention him on the back of the book?

I would rephrase to "While <fill in blank> Alyssa discovered <her magical skill or whatever.> <bad guy name here> discovered <what ever the reason is, he is after her> and . . . oh, this isn't working. I don't know enough about the book to be able to rewrite it. I'm going to check out your reviews, one of them looked pretty detailed. BRB

I'll have to ask my publisher if I can change the description. The only thing is is that it is on the back cover as well as many websites of which I had done tours and promotions on. Also, what if the publisher says no?
    Children's Fantasy Author
    Hidden Content

Purchase my book at Hidden Content

This will give you a starting place.

As for having it critiqued by a published author, that doesn't work. The back of the book is about marketing. It should have been assessed from a marketing standpoint, not a writing one. I am considered a published author, but I only have two stories in a local magazine published. That does not make me qualified to critique the back of books. I do, however, have a degree in PR and that will probably be more useful to you.

Alyssa McCarthy discovers magic afterher babysitter becomes the victim of a spell that <what did itdo?>. Blamed for the <what ever happened to the babysitter>by her strict Uncle Bruce, Alyssa is punished. <Something happenshere, but I don't have enough info> and a magic statue warnsAlyssa of danger from a dark magician who wants to kill her because<?>. Using magic to kidnap Alyssa <did the cousin getkidnapped as well?> Master Beau transports them to Fiji where he<attacks? Torments? I don't know enough> her/them.

With the aid of her cousin Hailey,<others> she must battle the dark magician to return to herhome and <do what.>

Like I said, that will get you started.

A couple of your reviewers compared it to Harry Potter. Play that up. Even if you don't agree, use the name as an SEO booster.

I wasn't able to see how you had the book categorized on Amazon, but you want to go to the last possible category. As the writer I know said, "Do you want to be #50,004 in Mysteries or #1 in Cozy Mysteries?"

Also, your website is way to simple to load as slowly as it does. I am currently working on my own website and have become aware of the mystical world of source code. It looks like you used WIX, but I think you might benefit by finding a computer friend that can take a look at it. It may be something as simple as the picture you uploaded is to big or it might be more complicated. My service maybe jacked up today, but it took six seconds to load. That is an eon in computer time.

This may seem weird, but I have the urge to help you with your copy and bio. If you are interested, PM me. I don't claim to be an expert and you can ignore some or all my suggestions, but the offer is there.

I don't know enough to answer that question. If they use a hyperlink to your book and the cover on those websites, then changing the cover but leaving the path the same would change it on those sites. Without more information, there is just no way to tell though.

I can see the purpose of self publishing and I agree with your reasons. I'm wondering about your publisher though. They obviously sold you the added cover art option, but what else did they offer? Do you have a contract with them, or did their part end when they published the book? Read your contract in detail.

Another question to answer is, do you have control at Amazon or do they? Can you make changes to the listing or do you have to go through the publisher?

They offered me the contract to sign. I'm not sure who has control whether it's me or Amazon.
    Hidden Content

I don't think Amazon would. It would be between you and the publisher, but I don't know. Who offered a contract? Did you sign?

The publisher offered the contract, which I signed. I just rewrote my blurb, too. Now how do I PM you?
    Hidden Content

Click on my user name and under my avatar, it will show something like Message or Private Message. Don't expect a quick response though, I'm on my way to work.

Okay. I probably won't hear back from my publisher until later this week.
    Hidden Content

It's the publisher who has control, I'd wager. It might be better to learn how to upload and publish a book using the kindle tools, which are not that hard to figure out. Then you'd be in control.

As for sales, I've published several novels, some self-pubbed, some through publishers, and never had much success. I do get royalty checks each month and they are increasing, but I tried all sorts of promotion and the only ones that worked (for hard cover) were going to events where I could talk about my books. Since I work full time, I can't sit around and promote all day, so I've slacked off. I'll do more after I retire next year.

Sales are a crapshoot. I published my daughter's first novel 10 days ago and it's already on an Amazon best-seller list and looks like it's going to really soar. And there was NO promotion other than a few mentions on facebook pages. Go figure.
    Don't take your book down. Keep on plugging with promotion and working on the next in the series.

Good luck.

JohnB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast