Do Something With These Words... - Page 7

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Do Something With These Words...

When the monkey fumbled, he bamboozled the other team's captain. With a quick feint, the monkey picked up the ball again and ran for a touchdown. The crowd of orangutans cheered while the hippos were aghast, for this was the first time the simians had scored in ten games.

The chairman of the league is investigating.

Next set

inane
    propagation
    wilted
    drunk
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"If it weren't for sin, what would we write about?"

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

It was the propagation of the inane, a morass of wilted, drunk warbling. It was poetry, narrative, nonsensical poetry. Make it stop...

Quantifiable
    Soliloquy
    Obloquy
    Sunder

It was a impromptu work, you know, as per all their stagings. Medea's Chariot specialized in it. And satire.

So, it wasn't that surprising for the audience when the peasant turned his tear-fuelled soliloquy to a screaming, hair-pulling obloquy at the prince.

Though perhaps it was a bit overdone, little too much personal. The actors had a huge row among themselves after the tour.

*sigh* If only their achievements were quantifiable, then maybe the result would have been different.

As it stands, my dear listener, the Chariot broke apart, each section to sunder from the other, each going their separate ways.

Ah, well. With the new day comes more short stories, and I will see you again, listener, when the sky is a face and the ground green, and my speech in black upon white.
    -changing keys are tension-

Quote Originally Posted by Shi View Post
    It was a impromptu work, you know, as per all their stagings. Medea's Chariot specialized in it. And satire.

So, it wasn't that surprising for the audience when the peasant turned his tear-fuelled soliloquy to a screaming, hair-pulling obloquy at the prince.

Though perhaps it was a bit overdone, little too much personal. The actors had a huge row among themselves after the tour.

*sigh* If only their achievements were quantifiable, then maybe the result would have been different.

As it stands, my dear listener, the Chariot broke apart, each section to sunder from the other, each going their separate ways.

Ah, well. With the new day comes more short stories, and I will see you again, listener, when the sky is a face and the ground green, and my speech in black upon white.
    I have to say, that was rather impressive. I was completely stuck with that set of words. Well done.

But you forget to post the next set of words.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” -Carl Sagan

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. --Jon Roland, 1976

Have you checked out the Hidden Content

Founder of the Pantsers United Group and member of the Fantasy Lords Group

"Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful,
    insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows." - Walt Disney

Oh my. I've killed the thread. Hope this isn't too late to bump the thread!

Wash (any form of it would do)
    Cup
    Paper
    Sanitizer

As the man stood by the sink, he thought of how much him and his wife do for this family. He grabs some of the material from the sink and takes and washes it. He washes the cup from the sink and cereal bowls and other stuff. He lays it on the paper like towel from the sink and then he checks it off his list from the paper. He then sanitizes his hands from the dirt and from the sink and washes his hands.

Great attempt! Nice to see this thread going. Next set of words?

(I used a random word generator for six words, because the original post had six. Here's a link to the generator I used:
    https://www.randomlists.com/random-words
    I hope that's okay.)
    Cheat
    Rule
    Noiseless
    Program
    Voyage
    Arch

(includes gun violence and death)

"I don't cheat," he said with a slow grin. "That, me boys, is how the game is played."

The others grumbled and tossed their cards on the table in defeat. They knew he had fairly bested them, and although the game only served as a distraction to pass some time, they were upset by the loss.

"Don't forget my number one rule," he said while pulling in the pile of loot. "Never lose."

A few of the men chuckled and others scowled. They were a rough looking bunch, dirty and unshaven. Some were missing teeth and some didn't have all of their fingers.

A nearby gunshot jolted their tired nerves and the door burst open, blinding them with a sudden brightness of the sun.

A man stumbled through the door and collapsed to the floor. Blood pooled around him as he writhed in agony. Then he stopped moving, frozen with a noiseless scream contorting his face.

"They got Billy," someone yelled. The men jumped from their seats and drew their weapons. "He's dead. They got Billy."

One of the men knelt next to Billy's corpse, nearly sobbing in shock. "This wasn't supposed to happen. You said we'd all be alright."

"Get out of the doorway," commanded the man who won the card game. "Get with the program and take cover."
    Another gunshot cracked and the sobbing man slumped over Billy's body.

"We're in trouble here, boys. They've sent two of us to the final voyage beyond," the card winner said flatly. "Looks like we gotta make a stand here or lose it all. They've come for what's theirs and they mean to get it back."

"What're we supposed to do," one of them asked. "They got us boxed in here." His eyes darted wildly.

"We charge at 'em," the cardman said. "Right out that front door, to glory or death, we cut them down like they did to Billy and Sam."

The men nodded and rose up with weapons ready. They prepared to risk everything to keep their only hope of riches and avenge their fallen pals.

"On my word," the cardman said with cold determination. "Now!"

The men rushed out the door with savage conviction. Guns roared outside as the cardman hefted a strongbox and tossed it out a back window. He jumped to leap through the window in a graceless arch, following the strongbox.

He could hear the gun battle happening on the other side of the house as he dragged the strongbox down the river bank. The canoe dipped deeper into the river under the weight of the box. The cardman got in and started paddling.

He looked back to see the last of his men gunned down, but the attack party didn't seem to notice him through the brush at the rivers edge.

"Remember, me boys, my number one rule. Don't lose."

Next words:
    Heartbreaking
    Offer
    Planes
    Condemned
    Peaceful
    Comparison
    Last edited by MacDub; November 20th, 2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Lame typo corrections

London, England January 1667
    A private meeting room of King Charles II, Whitehall Palace

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"That whole section of London should have been condemned a century ago, your majesty. It is not a true loss, after all." the statesman said.

King Charles bit down hard on his lower lip. No, it had not been a place of peaceful life for those who lived there, and much of it had been a fire hazard, but people had lived there. People who now had no place to go at all. Far too many of them were still living in the makeshift camp of Smithfield, and in the dead of winter now.

The fact that nearly 90 percent of London had burned to the ground in a mere 3 days was worse than heartbreaking, it was a disaster nearly worthy of Armageddon itself, in his opinion. But, the country did not need its leader to allow himself to be caught up in that kind of dark thinking - the reports of those using the pulpit to express those exact thoughts had made a healthy stack on his desk long before the ashes had even cooled enough for anyone to venture in to see what, if anything could be salvaged of the city.

Instead he turned his attention back to the large expanse of paper spread out over the table before him, absently twisting his parrot headed walking stick in one hand. Christopher Wren nearly leapt forward in his eagerness.

"This would put London above any city in the world sire," he said, sweeping a hand over the large, intricately detailed map. "It would be a city transformed, with clean planes, sharp lines, and broad throughways that would highlight the best landmarks, easy to traverse, as well as pleasing to the mind in its logical layout."

Charles nodded. There was no question but that London as it had been built over the centuries had become a quagmire of confusing lanes and courts and alleyways by comparison to the sketched-out map that lay before him. It was an offer he would love to just accept and say, 'let it be so'.

But, the reality was that people needed a place to do business and set up their homes now, immediately, and he already knew Parliament was not going to just issue him a blank check for the rebuilding of the city.

'How exactly does one go about rebuilding a city that had taken centuries to create itself', he couldn't help but wonder to himself.

"One brick and stone and piece of wood at a time," came the answer. He looked up, not aware he had spoken out loud to find Catherine of Braganza, his small wife, had come to stand at his side.

Catherine smiled shyly and moved close enough, so she could take his hand in hers. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze and he let out a soft sigh in response. No, it did not solve the problems, but it did make him feel less alone............

Next words:
    copper
    tenuous
    branch
    unite
    notice
    decisive

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567