Contentious Journalism

Thread: Contentious Journalism

Contentious Journalism

Just a word about journalistic forays into legalistic waters. I have done a large amount of research over the last couple of years into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann and am somewhere into 10K words of an analysis of the subject, though my endeavours have stalled recently due to time commitments. My interest remains, however, and maybe one day I will resurrect and complete the work. While people have been free to say pretty much what they like on the internet via blogs etc, apart from a couple of notable exceptions, anything of the written word has been hotly contested by the parents. The most glaring example is the book 'The Truth Of The Lie' by Goncalo Amaral, the detective initially in charge of the investigation into the child's disappearance, which is available on the net and anywhere else in the world apart from here in the UK where it remains banned. Just wondering what the Forum's view is on members discussing their own work on such contentious research.
    One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six." From A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas

I'd be interested in what you have to say on the matter.
    Publisher of the Durham Skywriter (Hidden Content ), Durham NC's online community paper, and host of TV Skywriter, Sundays 7pm USA Eastern time, on YouTube and Google+'s "patriciaAmurray" page. Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home"

Blog Entries
    Can't speak for the forum as a whole, but I'd vote to allow it
    Cheers,
    Elven

P.S.
    Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a critique, a word of encouragement, or just someone to talk to. I listen well.

I think that only a hand full of people check out the Journalism section here, I certainly have no problem with it. I also have a story of which I am part of, there was a legal battle for years, which at this point has been dropped. Not sure how to proceed, I would hate to offer up first and info in a past legal battle that could re-open the suit. Any knowledge or at least a foray in to this area would give me a little more insight on how to proceed. I also have no idea what the legal aspect when I was part of the law suit, not just a writer
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Blog Entries
    I see no reason why such contentious issues should not be discussed,debated, and views exchanged, so long as it is done within decorum, y'know?
    Without insulting and/or offensive behaviour.
    Although i don't HAVE a view on the McCann case, yeah, why not?
    Hasn't it been done here already? Not sure.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Sounds like something worth reading. Stay with it.