Narration Tense - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Narration Tense

There sure as hell is a wrong way to write. In fact, there are far more wrong ways than there are correct ways. That's why there is so much junk posted on critique sites and glutting the web and even in book stores. If a writer's 'way' is boring, or confusing, or in any other way makes it hard for the reader, then it is wrong. The 'standard' techniques--what many people mistakenly call 'rules'--are more common because readers relate to stories told in that manner. Taking the reader out of his/her comfort zone is not a bad thing, but to do it effectively the author needs to have the skills to pull it off. Skills which are not intuitive, not easy, and are learned over time. Alternative grammar, unconventional tense choices, mixed POV, and any other 'way' to write are perfectly fine until they make the story a pain-in-the-ass for the reader. At that point they are wrong, just like third person, past tense, single POV is wrong if it isn't done with enough skill to keep the reader engaged.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

There sure as hellis a wrong way to write.
    There are wrong ways to tell a story, but the only wrong way to write is to not put pen to paper or finger to keyboard. That and failing to adhere to SPaG, I guess.

The 'way' is rarely wrong, IMO. It's the application in relation to purpose that counts.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

I think, first person past tense implies a frame -- the events are over and you are telling from memory. The whole point of first person is to get the jagged immediate emotions and a non-omniscient view, right?

Third person present tense implies that the third person is in the scene. That doesn't make sense, right.

My worries about my new job are interrupted when the car abruptly stops. My new house. I get out and look while he gets my bags out of the trunk. Could I possibly be doing the right thing?

I agree with the original poster -- rewrite that in third person and it takes off the edge.

Hi AT,
    I am by nature a contrarian. I have to find out for myself if the paint is wet and if I can get a good story out of first person present tense. You would be amazed at what I learn through experimenting, falling flat on my face and taking a different view.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567