Political Satire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Satire

Political Satire

Anyone else have an interest in political satire? I have a love for such as it is a great mix of both humor and current events. The draw backs are that good satire should piss one person off and make the other smile. I have noticed on these forums that there seems to be very little interest in politics. Am I the only one who is fascinated by this topic?
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Politics now are impossible to satirise. How could you satirise George Bush, had you written his utterances into a comedy people would say "Nah - Nobody talks like that..." I watched the new BBC2 programme W1A the other night and thought "This isn't comedy, it is verbatim". I have been at enough meetings at the BBC to recognise the jargon, the clichés, the buck-passing, the indecision. W1A is supposed to be satire, it isn't, it's reportage...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Well for one Bush is no longer president, Obama is easy parody for satire. There is not a single story in the Wall Street Journal today that you could not somehow turn into something funny by twisting things around.

For someone to adept at Satire you have to be able to stand back and be objective, have a sense of history and a sense of humor.

Hidden Content ,

I love political satire, but my worry is that the thirst for it among the general public is gone. It seems to be an acquired taste now, in the world of X-factor and Facebook. Alas...

I would love to see others here who had a taste for it. to me it is the perfect combination between current events and general knowledge laced with humor. I started a piece awhile ago but did not finish it. My guess is that only you and I would get a kick out of it....Bob

Hidden Content ,

I'm trying to do a sort of a historical satire without any political bent if that's actually possible. I think there are enough pot shots to take at both sides of the political spectrum though I'm sure my personally being a liberal might sometimes show
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And if you're into music, check out the brand new Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    I'm trying to do a sort of a historical satire without any political bent if that's actually possible. I think there are enough pot shots to take at both sides of the political spectrum though I'm sure my personally being a liberal might sometimes show

The John Stewart and Colbert show have made millions off Liberal satire... funny is funny no matter which side of the fence you are standing on. It would also be no fun if everyone had the same bend when it came to politics, half the fun of satire....

Hidden Content ,

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    The John Stewart and Colbert show have made millions off Liberal satire... funny is funny no matter which side of the fence you are standing on. It would also be no fun if everyone had the same bend when it came to politics, half the fun of satire....

Big fan of Stewart and Colbert. You're right about it being funny on both sides. I have to admit enjoying P.J. O'Rourke's humor as well.
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And if you're into music, check out the brand new Hidden Content Hidden Content

Here's a website that started out in my local town and just took off from there: http://waterfordwhispersnews.com

Sorry for the late reply...

But, I enjoy political satire when it's "smart." I find hamfisted political satire embarrassing for whoever wrote it... If one is going to stride confidently into that medium, I think one should take the time to do it right! Great political satire stands the test of time and can speak to any period in human culture where people have developed systems of governance. In well done political satire, there are the fictional elements that make an entertaining story and they work seamlessly with underlying, political elements, that are the "truths" between the lines. The best political satire use both elements to good effect. That's the sort of political satire that I really enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast