Book binding - Page 3

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Book binding

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    I have been thinking about trying this, so I'm very excited to find this thread!

I'm surprised by the stitching. I thought each section had to be stitched independently. No?
    Not in this style of stitching at least.

If you were going to stitch the signatures to the cover, as you might for a leather-bound journal, then they tend to be stitched individually. Since I was gluing the cover to the book I didn't need to do that.

There are lots of other types of book binding stitches for all manner of applications. It's really down to what you want the book to do and how good you are with a needle and thread!
    I have an extensive knowledge of Mean Girls quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by popsprocket View Post
    Not in this style of stitching at least.

If you were going to stitch the signatures to the cover, as you might for a leather-bound journal, then they tend to be stitched individually. Since I was gluing the cover to the book I didn't need to do that.

There are lots of other types of book binding stitches for all manner of applications. It's really down to what you want the book to do and how good you are with a needle and thread!
    You lost me with the reference to signatures. I have to do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    You lost me with the reference to signatures. I have to do some research.
    The signatures are just the individual sections you were referring to.

In the book I made in the first post, each signature was 4 sheets, folded in half to create 16 pages. Stack enough signatures on top of one another, stitch them together, and you've got a book.
    I have an extensive knowledge of Mean Girls quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by popsprocket View Post
    The signatures are just the individual sections you were referring to.

In the book I made in the first post, each signature was 4 sheets, folded in half to create 16 pages. Stack enough signatures on top of one another, stitch them together, and you've got a book.

Thanks for saving me research time!

I'm a little confused how 4 sheets, folded in half, becomes 16 pages. Wouldn't it be 8?

These are amazing. I would love to do this myself.

Super neat. I have a draft I'm working on editing ... I might bind it just to provide a break from the monotony of editing!

I was taught how to do this in high school and I love making little notebooks. Now, I'm not sure if I'm on the outside with this, but I was taught that under the threads holding the pages together you put strips of thin cloth, spread glue on the cloth and then glue those bits to what you'd use for the cover. Is this not a common practice for book binding? I haven't seen anyone else do it the way I was taught.

Amazing, and what a lovely idea for a gift!

I would love to be able to do this. Ive seen videos on repairing or initial book binding. Unfortunately many years ago I discovered I was allergic to book binding glue. I do realize how strange that sounds. The stranger part is that it was a routine skin allergy test and that is one of the things they expose your to. Very odd.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123