Units of time and measurement in Sci-Fi/Fantasy stories - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Units of time and measurement in Sci-Fi/Fantasy stories

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions on this.

It is an interesting problem.

My thoughts are to try to minimize the use of such units unless they are absolutely vital to the story. You can still get your point across with non-specifics i.e. young, old, short, far etc. However, when needed, my personal preference is to use solar cycles, planetary turns, cubits, clicks and the like.

Or you can call it a "revolution day" instead of the year, it's basically the same, it's just different and more scientific word for a year.
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

I figure you're already borrowing our language for your characters (whatever language you write in, say English, is not the one that they probably use on your planet), so why not just use meters and liters and seconds? You could spend half a chapter or an entire appendix explaining how many glutes are in a blartron, or you can focus on what matters: your narrative. If you have to invent a new system of measurement, say for something on a Galaxy wide scale, then perhaps mention once (and only once) that all units of time and measurement are regulated by Galactic standards. If you go down the rabbit hole of excluding words that are based on Earthly things, you're not going to have a lot of words left to describe your Universe. You wouldn't be able use okay, for instance, because that is based on Martin van Buren, eighth president of the United States. Just write in your language, use whatever source you want to. I'd stick to one or the other, either Standard Units or Metric Units, but don't dwell on it.
    Hidden Content at SPANK the CARP Fiction and Poetry

I enjoy reading all the answers in here.

Especially considering that I am too darn lazy to create my own units of measurement for my Fantasy world.

I just came up with a way for that world to "borrow" ours.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” -Carl Sagan

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. --Jon Roland, 1976

Have you checked out the Hidden Content

Founder of the Pantsers United Group and member of the Fantasy Lords Group

"Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful,
    insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows." - Walt Disney

http://spacetrawler.com/tag/draak-sim/

This thing is a cool example. It spins at a constant pace so it's used as a standard measurement of time throughout the universe. Some dude turns it off and half the clocks stop working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12