Ask a Mentor - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ask a Mentor

When I was a young and studiously na´ve instructor at Simon Fraser U, I attended a senior colleague's lecture and jotted down some notes. A few weeks later, in a lecture of my own, I quoted a couple of his remarks, acknowledging him by name. etc. He heard about this and stormed into my office, mad as hell. "Every word I say is implicitly COPYRIGHTED," he bellowed. He said I had to get his permission to use his words. He was writing a book, and the passages I had cited were to be part of it. My carelessness had compromised the integrity of his upcoming textbook. He was not mollified by my suggestion that it was somewhat unlikely my 18-year-old freshmen were going to dash our and publish papers on pre-Elizabethan Courtly love. Anyhoo, I checked it out, and lo and behold, he was correct. Copyright is asserted in Canada rather more informally than elsewhere. Mailing a Registered copy of your work to yourself, for example, and NOT opening it upon arrival is still upheld in court as "sufficient" proof of ownership of intellectual materials. BUT it is still recommended that you formally copyright in the regular manner.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

I'm trying to find an area where I might get some advice on character/species descriptions within the area of character development. Is there such an area here?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepindawg View Post
    I'm trying to find an area where I might get some advice on character/species descriptions within the area of character development. Is there such an area here?
    Hi Sleepindawg - nice to see you here. I don't really know of an area that would deal specifically with the type of descriptions you are looking for, so I would suggest you try beginning a discussion in Writing Discussions https://www.writingforums.com/forums...ing-Discussion. Just type in what you are hoping to get advice on, and I'm sure there are several here who would like to help out. Good luck!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

There is quite a bit on character development in writing discussion already, it might also be worth trying a few more specific search terms within it.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123