Favorite Short Stories?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Short Stories?

Favorite Short Stories?

There's always a few topics about favorite novels, I'd like to also know what everyone's favorite short stories are.

I haven't read a ton but you really can't go wrong with The Call of Cthulu.

Hopscotch, by Ray Bradbury

Haunting Olivia
    , by Karen Russell

The Deep, by Anthony Doerr

Cowboy Tango, by Maggie Shipstead

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by Thurber. If we'd admit it, we all have the same fantasies.

Soo... I guess no one else likes short stories?

Yes... I just finished a really good collection of surrealist stories from Tin House called Fantastic Women.

Your thread may be suffering from 'replied-to-one-like-this-not-long-ago-itis'

The last similar active one, I think, was this one started by lasm, which has several good recommendations in it.
    “Be happy with what you have and are, be generous with both, and you won't have to hunt for happiness.”

Maybe more a novella, but "The Roads Around Pisa" by Isak Dinesin has always been a favorite of mine. So quiet and strange and confusing. I would say it changed my general idea of reading and broadened my conception of how to engage with a reader.

I can give you a few shorts that I remember, and that influenced me, but they are only a few of many 'favorites'.

The Pit and the Pendulum by Poe

The Veldt by Ray Bradbury

The Jar by Bradbury

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

It Happened on Maple Street by Rod Serling

Almost anything from Stephen King's Night Shift collection (I particularly like the title story)

The Masque of the Red Death by Poe
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

I like stories that stick around in my head for a long time, like:

- The Coffin by Ray Bradbury

- The Tomb by HP Lovecraft

- Three-Ten to Yuma by Elmore Leonard

- To Build a Fire - Jack London (I think)

- North Country by Roxanne Gay

Hard to go wrong with anything Bradbury.

Also, I liked The Monkey's Paw by WW Jacobs. I think I'm going to go check out Roads Around Pisa - thanks Lasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluralized View Post

- To Build a Fire - Jack London
    Oh yeah! How could I forget Jack London? Another great writer.

The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien
    Kaleidoscope, Ray Bradbury
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast